Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can you pass on rubella from having the MMR? Or is this HCP misinformed?

(8 Posts)
pistachio Sun 21-Oct-12 21:21:34

A friend was told by the nurse after having the MMR to boost her own immunity that she should stay away from pregnant friends for 12 weeks in case the virus sheds- i have never heard this before and it is not something parents are told about their toddlers after their MMR.

Does anyone have any info/links as to whether this is likely? Thank you.

Kewcumber Sun 21-Oct-12 21:24:19

I don;t understand how you can get a virus from someone with no symptoms just an injection of MMR. perhaps if they drank your blood?

I recall that we had to be careful around FIL when the DSs had their jabs as he was immune suppressed due to chemo. I think that was more to do with changing nappies and the slim possibility of live virus being excreted than them randomly shedding virus though. we weren't told to stay completely away though, and definitely weren't told to avoid pregnant women.

pistachio Sun 21-Oct-12 21:27:24

that's not really a common part of toddler groups though is it... grin She's avoiding places where there are likely to be pg women after being told this so i'd like to know if it is in fact a very unlikely scenario.

Kewcumber Sun 21-Oct-12 21:28:01

I googled - they suggest avoiding becoming pregnant for 1 month after having an MMR yourself maybe she's getting confused with that?

pistachio Sun 21-Oct-12 21:53:29

mrsdimitri hope that didn't look flippant, i x posted in reply to kew's comment about drinking blood. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Kewcumber Sun 21-Oct-12 21:56:36

biting very common in toddler groups though - and I've never heard anyone warned not to let their newly vaccinated child bite a pregnant woman! How exactly does a vaccine injected into your vein "shed"? confused

No worries pistachio, didn't take it the wrong way smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now