Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS not himself after MMR, how much should I worry?

(7 Posts)
TheToadLessTravelled Sat 20-Oct-12 18:07:41

12 1/2 mo DS had his MMR on Monday and has not been himself since.
He had a slight temp of around 37.8 for two days so I gave him calpol.
Temp gone now but he is still not himself.

He is usually very cheerful but currently is grizzly and cries at the drop of a hat (or rather at the drop of a spoon during breakfast), and he is sleeping a lot.

By a lot I mean last night slept 9 till 8.30, when he is always up at 6.
Then three naps each and hour and a half long on me today and one in the pram.

I will take him to the doc on Monday to get ears etc checked.
I guess it could also be teething.

NHS website didn't say the MMR would have any immediate symptoms.
How worried should I be?

My DS was EXACTLY like this. I was so worried that I called out the doctor in the night, as he was crying so much and banging his head against the cot sad. The doctor said it was because they develop slight symptoms of all 3 diseases, so it can give them a headache, make them feel a bit under the weather generally. Try not to worry but take him to the doctor on Monday just to reassure yourself. Obviously if he gets a lot worse then take him to A and E, just in case.

TheToadLessTravelled Sat 20-Oct-12 18:18:51

Thanks Boris, I appreciate the reassurance.

He has never had a reaction to any other vaccination - it would be the darn MMR that causes a reaction, the one injection I was worried about!

Lifeisontheup Sat 20-Oct-12 18:36:13

My middle Ds was like that after MMR for about two weeks then dramatically threw up in Sainsbury's at which point I made the connection,(I'm rather dim and just thought he's going down with something until then). After being sick once and sleeping all night he was back to normal, he's now 19 and busy studying trying to kill himself cooking bacon sandwiches at 3.00am away at uni so no long term ill effects.
Just keep an eye on him and GP/OOH if he gets alot worse.

xkcdfangirl Sat 20-Oct-12 18:43:11

He'll be fine - getting a bit poorly after a vaccination is a really good thing - it means his immune system is responding strongly to the vaccine which is perfect - it means he will have lots of antibodies available if he gets exposed to the actual live illness. Unless he's running a really high fever or seems to be having some kind of allergic reaction then really don't worry - give him calpol and lots of cuddles and keep him hydrated and he will be fine.

TheToadLessTravelled Sat 20-Oct-12 18:44:40

Oh dear Life two weeks of reaction sounds tough.

We have had 6 days already and that's been quite wearing enoughsad

Lifeisontheup Sat 20-Oct-12 19:08:16

I sort of bumbled through it in my usual rather neglectful way, constantly repeating the mantra' breath goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any deviation from the above is a BAD thing otherwise they're likely to be ok. It also helped having a doctor FIL within easy reach. I would waft them under his nose every now and again for a verdict.
Good luck Toad Look after yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now