Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

flu jab

(7 Posts)
Witco Wed 24-Oct-12 22:33:36

Had my flu jab today and within 15 minutes my arm swelled up (much panic trying to get my rings off over my fat knuckles grin)! My whole arm is swollen and sore and have begun to feel rough. I have never reacted to the flu jab or any other vaccination before. Weird!

meddie Sun 21-Oct-12 22:47:25

What Sidge said, also if you are working with vulnerable elderly people its not just about you protecting yourself from flu its about you not being a conduit to pass on flu to your elderly residents, who it can be potentially very dangerous for

Sidge Fri 19-Oct-12 22:36:21

The flu jab can't give you flu.

It doesn't make you sick.

What it can do is cause a strong immune response in some people which can cause a temperature, headache, feeling off colour for 24-48 hrs. Also it can give you a sore achey arm.

Also bear in mind that whilst the flu jab prevents flu it can't stop you getting other viruses; given that there are many circulating viruses around at this time of year it's possible that you've coincidentally picked up another virus.

pinkkoala Fri 19-Oct-12 22:26:26

you have just answered my question.
i have been offered flu jab for the first time due to working in a retirement village/care home.
i am undecided as have heard that you get ill afterwards. you have confirmed my fears.
dont think i will bother.

salt1 Thu 18-Oct-12 15:01:51

mmmm possibly, have only had jab twice and both times got sick, this time has been hideous.

CatherinaJTV Thu 18-Oct-12 14:12:17

we were all fine, the injection site hurt for a day or so, but that was it. Had had the total crud for weeks before the shot though, so maybe something going round?

salt1 Thu 18-Oct-12 11:52:38

can't believe how ill i have been after the flu jab on friday, can it really be a coincidence? how has everyone else been?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now