Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DTaP question

(4 Posts)
surfmama Thu 04-Oct-12 17:51:43

Hello I understood babies weren't protected until they had had 3 doses of this vaccine, so protection in UK wouldn't be until 6 months following normal schedule. I notice that in Sweden they do 3, 5 and then 12 months.... does anyone know why? Are they thinking protection is from 2 doses (and is it?). thanks for your help in advance.

CatherinaJTV Thu 04-Oct-12 19:03:21

I have not looked at DTaP studies for a while, but I thought that protection after two DTaPs was maximally in the lower 80ies. However, Sweden gives up to 16 months paid maternity leave and generally has a low population density, so they may consider themselves "low risk"?

surfmama Thu 04-Oct-12 22:26:39

i see thanks caterina i think i may speak to doc and follow their schedule and delay 3rd as we work from home and will be juggling baby between us and if 2 provides cover (or as much as the vacc can) then that sounds like a good option.

Clumsasaurus Wed 14-Nov-12 02:53:29

The uk used to do 3, 5 and 9 months and the Center for disease prevention and control in the US (cdc) recommends 2 months between each jab. Just FYI x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now