Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Protecting a 3 week old from whooping cough

(73 Posts)
stargirl1701 Fri 28-Sep-12 12:27:03

Baby is 3 weeks old so still 5 weeks till vaccination for WC. How do I protect her? What symptoms should I be looking out for? Panicky first time mum.

stargirl1701 Mon 15-Oct-12 15:02:34

Update:

GP is offering all women who have recently given birth the whooping cough vaccine. The surgery are awaiting delivery of the vaccinations - they think it'll be next week. I've to phone back next Monday to book a vaccination.

CatherinaJTV Wed 03-Oct-12 19:52:44

seconding the "crank" comment of Elaine (but that fits my agenda). And of course vaccines are a measure of population control. If vaccines prevent children from dying in the developing world, the poor women can concentrate on raising most of their kids and need to have fewer to secure their "old age". Anyone who suggest that Bill Gates and Gavi could have meant anything else is a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nut.

bruffin Wed 03-Oct-12 17:24:08

The director of Thinktwice is N Miller who wrote the crap study that was linked to on the other thread where he included babies that didnt even live long enough to be vaccinated in the US to claim that the higher the amount of vaccines the higher the immortality.

ArthurPewty Wed 03-Oct-12 17:17:33

I've not seen that website.
Would it matter to me if i believed what was written there, that you have deemed it "crankosphere"?
Not really. Who are you anyway? Just a bully on the internet.

ElaineBenes Wed 03-Oct-12 16:59:42

Thinktwice.com is crankosphere par excellence.

They even have a section devoted to homeopathic alternatives and they think the polio vaccine causes AIDS. Sorry if this is your main 'information' source.

ArthurPewty Wed 03-Oct-12 16:44:27

"Total crankosphere."

Because you pronounced it, it must therefore be so.

hmm

ElaineBenes Wed 03-Oct-12 14:29:36

Absoute bollocks. Vaccinations have never been used for population control. That's speculation, conjecture and conspiracy theorising. Total crankosphere.

In fact, vaccinations have the opposite effect. Reducing infant and child mortality has the same effect on population growth as increasing fertility (more girls survive to childbearing age). So vaccination is actually anti-malthusian.

Peopkle should have the right to access modern and effective cotnraception. Coercive family planning programmes are a completely different issue and totally separate from vaccniations.

RubyStolenBootyGates Wed 03-Oct-12 13:24:22

Country's even.
Bugger.

RubyStolenBootyGates Wed 03-Oct-12 13:20:54

I can understand why people might be wary of innoculations if they believe that this is the agenda of those in power. We could leave them to starve, get hideous diseases rely on natural population control, or we could introduce an agent which goes some way to controlling the growth of population.

I was just commenting on the Malthusian versus Conspiracy based version of poulation control.

And of course, many countries populations won't or can't use contraception.

downindorset Wed 03-Oct-12 13:20:44

Hmm - I'm not sure contraception or something akin to China's one child policy does not come with it's own set of equally if not more difficult moral and ethical issues.

As I said - it's a tricky subject.

RubyStolenBootyGates Wed 03-Oct-12 13:05:06

As I said. dodgy link. Checkable facts.

ElaineBenes Wed 03-Oct-12 13:02:18

Oh for gods sake. Nothing like a good conspiracy theory! At least I know now where you get your 'evidence' from, ruby.

RubyStolenBootyGates Wed 03-Oct-12 12:58:11

And there's another whole can of worms.
thinktwice.com/birthcon.htm
Excuse dodgy link, but it seems the basic facts as they stand are chackable.

ElaineBenes Wed 03-Oct-12 12:51:54

Ruby

Like the title of the article you linked to says, it's not JUST the fault of parents who don't vaccinate. But it certainly doesn't help.

Vaccines against whooping cough are very good at protecting the individual from severe whooping cough. And vaccinated people are still less likely to get whooping cough, and if they do they are less contagious.

Downindorset
I'm not sure I buy your Malthusian approach. I think I'd prefer contraception as a means to control population size rather than just accepting disease and not trying to control it.

downindorset Wed 03-Oct-12 11:26:24

A knotty problem is right. I'm of the view that we may have to accept a certain level of disease in society and it may even be good to keep our numbers down (see this interesting article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/sep/28/deadly-viruses-ebola-marburg-sars?INTCMP=SRCH)

However, that doesn't make the issue of looking after our children any less complicated.

The irony is, that were diseases like WC circulating freely in populations, those who are immune who have their immunity boosted (I think that's right?) so eliminating these issues of vaccines wearing off and viruses mutating. It does of course mean that we have to accept the disease...

Rock and a hard place.

RubyStolenBootyGates Wed 03-Oct-12 09:20:51

This is very interesting don't you think? It's clearly not an issue of vaccinate/don't vaccinate.
Report about American outbreak.

I remember a few years back their was a nasty outbreak amongst an almost entirely vaccinated population ( Observant New York Jews I think?) and it turned out that
a) The vaccine waned more quickly than expected.
b) Some of the outbreak was a different strain of the disease that wouldn't have been protected against by the vaccine.
c) The vaccine wasn't as effective as previously thought/HIgh failure rate
d) Immune people were acting as carriers/spreaders of the disease.
e) recently vaccinated children were also spreading the disease.

It's a very knotty problem.

Oh my goodness poor you! You have been through the mill.

I think then the best advice given up thread is to get yourself and your DH/P vaccinated - and to make it clear to grandparents / cousins etc that anyone who is coughing at all will have to stay clear for the next 5 weeks. If they're a bit hmm so be it...

CatherinaJTV Mon 01-Oct-12 22:56:15

outch (((Stargirl)))

stargirl1701 Mon 01-Oct-12 22:52:51

That's good Josie. I gave up Breastfeeding when I was admitted to hospital with infective mastitis, blood sepsis and a bladder infection - a week after the birth! My milk was unfit for consumption according to the lab sad. Had to use formula.

Stargirl I had my vaccine today - I'm 39 weeks pregnant. Part of my thinking was even if I have the baby before the antibodies cross the placenta I'll have some immunity in my breastmilk. Not as effective as the 8 week vaccine - but some protection.

I wanted to get a whooping cough booster (am in the UK) as I have a small, premature baby. I was informed that they only give the pertussis vax to children under 5, so I am not permitted to have it. Does anyone know any more about this?

ElaineBenes Mon 01-Oct-12 22:36:57

I dont know if you can do it in the UK as I'm in the US right now, but here you can walk into a pharmacy and get your pertussis shot privately. It's only about $20. No idea if you've got the same in Boots though (although I remember they offer the flu shot).

stargirl1701 Mon 01-Oct-12 22:36:12

HV said today that there are 2 babies in the regional teaching hospital from the area. One is only 5 weeks sad. Just awful.

CatherinaJTV Mon 01-Oct-12 22:36:02

say LD, how does the ohsotoxic polysorbate 80, all 50 µg of it, get from the upper arm of the woman into the uterus to the baby? Same for phenoxyethanol?

EyesDoMoreThanSee Mon 01-Oct-12 22:33:59

You could also check to see if you are in an area which currently has an outbreak? Practice good hand hygiene and ensure that all visitors are well.

FWIW I think you are extremely sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now