Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Protecting a 3 week old from whooping cough

(73 Posts)
stargirl1701 Fri 28-Sep-12 12:27:03

Baby is 3 weeks old so still 5 weeks till vaccination for WC. How do I protect her? What symptoms should I be looking out for? Panicky first time mum.

CatherinaJTV Germany Mon 01-Oct-12 20:56:31

agenda hmm sure...

headfairy Mon 01-Oct-12 21:04:43

Erm, thanks Leonie - I think you'll find you're the one browbeating me. I have said nothing one way or the other about choices.

ArthurPewty Mon 01-Oct-12 21:06:36

I wasnt talking to you specifically, i just used your words as they were handy, to make my point to Elaine and Catherina JusttheVax blogperson

headfairy Mon 01-Oct-12 21:08:26

ok... that justthevax blog is pretty much lifted from the BBC website.

ElaineBenes Mon 01-Oct-12 21:33:45

No-one's 'brow-beating' you for the choices you make.

All I'm doing is pointing out that the views you hold are not based in any scientific evidence.

ArthurPewty Mon 01-Oct-12 21:40:56

according to YOU.

So if it crosses the placenta, can it be transmitted through breastmilk?

headfairy Mon 01-Oct-12 21:53:14

Do you mean immunity from having the vaccine Starlight? Or do you mean Whooping cough?

If a mother of a 5 week old were to have the vaccine, would the 5 week old benefit if the mother bf?

ElaineBenes Mon 01-Oct-12 21:56:10

LD.

Much as I would love to take credit for inventing the scientific method, I think you may find it's according to Galileo, Descartes, Newton and others.

I did ask you to share the plenty of scientific evidence that you say you have. I note that you haven't.

ArthurPewty Mon 01-Oct-12 22:00:13

Do i really need to? It wont meet with your approval.

Believe it or not, i have other things to do: i have two autistic children to care for, and on the side, my homework to do for Weds evening's class, and my new mobile to finish loading with awesome non-apple / non-android apps, etc. I bet that doesn't surprise you either - i'm not an iSheep...

ArthurPewty Mon 01-Oct-12 22:01:04

Very good question, Starlight - would the mother's milk interfere so much? It begs asking... wonder if the JCVI considered that point?

headfairy Mon 01-Oct-12 22:01:29

From what I understand Starlight I think so. The idea is the mother would develop antibodies and much the same as other antibodies pass through breastmilk, I assume WC antibodies do the same. But I'm not a doctor, I would say speak to your GP.

By the way Leonie - just reading back on this... you know this current campaign is to get pregnant women vaccinated, not babies - though naturally the baby in utero will get some of the effect of the vaccine. The reason why things may be different now to when your 4 year old was born is that this latest upsurge in cases started in 2011. There are surges of outbreaks and we're currently in one. We weren't when your 4 year old was born (still not saying anything about your choice btw - just putting a little background detail in to the current vaccination programme)

CharlieMumma Mon 01-Oct-12 22:02:53

Starlight - ur best off asking ur dr these questions I don't think ur going to get any where on this thread! My educated guess would be some antibodies would travel across but not sure how much.

So one of the things the OP could do was top up her vaccination?

Woukd the baby subsequently overdose on the 2month vaccines then?

We're not just talking WC are we, but the 5in1!?

My doctor doesn't even know you can give birth to back to back babies at home, absolutely no point asking him anything!

stargirl1701 Mon 01-Oct-12 22:07:17

Well. This isn't the thread I started! HV said to limit visitors, ask anyone holding dd to wash hands first and keep strangers from touching her when out in public.

I believe in vaccination - both personally and as a public health issue. I don't want to debate the issue, thanks.

Would you get the vac yourself OP?

ArthurPewty Mon 01-Oct-12 22:08:38

Yes, I am well aware of who they are foisting this unlicensed and unproven vaccine onto.

Just like meds taken while pregnant, do you think it wont affect the baby / cross the placenta (which is the point)? Have they studied the effects of the rest of the excipients in prengnacy, on the foetus and mother? Just because they claim there is no toward effects on a 3 year old does not mean there would be no untoward effects on a foetus/baby that is 28 weeks gestation and how many times smaller, weight wise, let alone ability to metabolise said excipients? etc?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenoxyethanol
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysorbate_80

ElaineBenes Mon 01-Oct-12 22:08:43

It's OK LD. It's kind of cute. My kids enjoy a similar kind of game. The big one will ask the little one a difficult question. Of course, she hasn't got a clue but she goes 'I know but I'm not telling you'.

And you're quite right, I'm guessing that your 'evidence' wouldn't hold up to critical appraisal. I suspect that you know that too.

ElaineBenes Mon 01-Oct-12 22:10:45

Apologies for the thread hijack stargirl.

Enjoy the time with your newborn!

stargirl1701 Mon 01-Oct-12 22:13:17

I would. Speaking to GP tomorrow. I assume my immunity has worn off. The HV felt I my immune system would be fairly robust as I am a teacher but I would always vax if I can.

scandy Mon 01-Oct-12 22:19:39

Oh my god I can't believe there are still people who don't believe in vaccinating their children. I wish the government would make it mandatory.

EyesDoMoreThanSee Mon 01-Oct-12 22:33:59

You could also check to see if you are in an area which currently has an outbreak? Practice good hand hygiene and ensure that all visitors are well.

FWIW I think you are extremely sensible.

CatherinaJTV Germany Mon 01-Oct-12 22:36:02

say LD, how does the ohsotoxic polysorbate 80, all 50 µg of it, get from the upper arm of the woman into the uterus to the baby? Same for phenoxyethanol?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now