Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

14 months- mmr and boosters timing advice please!

(16 Posts)
NotDoris Wed 19-Sep-12 10:51:37

DS has had all his jabs so far, but is now 14 months and we've now had 2 reminders for his boosters and the mmr. I need some opinions to help me decide what to do!
DD is 9 and she had the single mmr vaccines, but I have read that the mumps jab is not available any more. We would like DS to have the mmr, but not at the same time as the other boosters. Which should he have first, the boosters or the mmr, and how long should we leave between them?
The only thing that worries me is that DS is allergic to both dairy and soya which affects his skin and bowels, I think that the mmr was associated with bowel problems of some sort?
Please, any advice would be fantastic!
Thanks!

CatherinaJTV Wed 19-Sep-12 18:09:54

I split my DS' first MMR and last DTPetc and gave them 4 weeks apart. First the MMR and then the DTP. The doctor thought nothing of it and I felt a lot better.

The gut problem after MMR is one of the Wakefield lies myths.

Irecognisethat Wed 19-Sep-12 20:43:05

CJTV - you are incorrigible! The association between gut problems and the MMR was NEVER one of the issues studied by Wakefield. You misquote and conflate things all the time when you refer to him on these blogs. I realise you hate him but you assign all sorts of things to him that are just not true. He was looking at what he thought might be a new syndrome - a type of enterocolitis which he and EIGHTEEN other doctors thought they had identified in children with autism. You can disagree with him all you want but at least disagree with what he was actually doing! I've never seen one doctor misrepresented so often by others. Shame on you.

Irecognisethat Wed 19-Sep-12 20:47:21

OP - be aware that even mainstream GPs are careful about immune system insults and vaccinations. (In the same way that good doctors won't give a vaccination if a child has a cold or flu.)If your child has severe allergies make sure you consider, with a trusted doctor, how to handle his jabs and how much stress to put his immune system under at one time.

LeFreak Wed 19-Sep-12 20:59:39

DD had her boosters at 12 months and MMR at 13 months which was the practice 4 years ago.

I would speak to an understanding GP for their advice.

Just be aware that there are measles outbreaks in certain parts of the country ATM, so if you live in one of these areas it is advisable to get your child immunised asap.

DystopianReality Wed 19-Sep-12 21:02:37

At fourteen months, your DS should have completed his 'primary' immunisation schedule of triple + Pnemococcal, triple + Men C and triple + Men C and Pnemococcal by the age of 4 months. At 12 months the only 'booster he should need is a HIB and Men C combined jab. At 13 months (tho' sometimes given with the HIB and Men C) he should be due his MMR.

He should not be due DTP booster until 3.5 years of age. Maybe the 'booster' HIB/Men C has been miscontrued to mean DTP ? Anyway, he is due these if he hasn't had them yet. It is quite safe to give them to together.

There is no evidence of a link between MMR and inflammatory bowel disease. Your DS is intolerant of soya and dairy which may give rise to bowel symptoms. It is not the same as inflammatory bowel disease.

CatherinaJTV Wed 19-Sep-12 21:32:55

Irecognisethat - I am simply right - 1995 AJ Wakefield

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7715338

In view of the rising incidence of inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis), we examined the impact of measles vaccination upon these conditions..../... Increased prevalence of inflammatory bowel disease, but not coeliac disease or peptic ulceration, was found in the vaccinated cohort compared with their partners. These findings suggest that measles virus may play a part in the development not only of Crohn's disease but also of ulcerative colitis.

1998 AJ Wakefield

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9500320 in the abstract

Onset of behavioural symptoms was associated, by the parents, with measles, mumps, and rubella vaccination in eight of the 12 children .../... We identified associated gastrointestinal disease and developmental regression in a group of previously normal children, which was generally associated in time with possible environmental triggers.

The MMR-gut connection was Wakefield's hobby and lawyers and media did the rest.

NotDoris Wed 19-Sep-12 21:43:46

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still confused! He's due to have the pneu 3, men c booster, hib booster, and the mmr.
I have no idea how severe his allergy is as he's never had a severe reaction due to never having eaten any dairy (diagnosed before weaning whilst breastfed) but he has eaten soya in bread which gives him explosive nappies and very dry, sore skin.
We were supposed to be trying him with milk now, but I have delayed the appointment until jan as I thought it best to get his jabs done first.
I'm veering towards having the mmr first, but how long should I wait until he has the other boosters? Or should he have those first and the mmr later?
I'd really appreciate more opinions as you are all far more knowledgeable on this subject than I am!!
Thanks!

Irecognisethat Wed 19-Sep-12 21:58:07

CJTV - wrong you are - and you know it by selectively quoting. It's pretty disgraceful. They thought they had found a new enterocolitis in children with autism! They never made a conncection between MMR and that condition. they cited the MMR in the pper because the parents all reported a temporal connection and they went OUT OF THEIR WAY to say no connection had been found. After - what - 15 years you are actiually believing the misrepresentations. It's all too tiring. Incorrigible is the right word. You can't be corrected.

LeFreak Wed 19-Sep-12 22:03:29

NotDoris I really wouldn't know.

I imagine if you give him the MMR first and he is ok in the month / 2 months following this (ie. no reactions beyond what is considered 'normal') then he will be ok to have his boosters (which he has already had one dose of, I assume he was fine after these - so should be fine again).

But honestly speak to your GP. Tell him/her your worries WRT his allergies and the jabs and see what they recommend.

I'm not sure where you live but if there is an measles outbreak in your area you should consider giving the MMR first - again ask your GP for advice.

Sidge Wed 19-Sep-12 22:15:09

The schedule is now such that at approx 12-14 months they are offered:

Hib/Men C booster (a combined vaccine called Menitorix)

Pneumococcal booster (Prevenar 13)

The first MMR

They have usually had Hib, Men C and Pneumo vaccines as babies as they are all part of the immunisation schedule from 8 weeks.

The 3 vaccines now given at 12-14 months used to be offered separately at 12 and then 13 months approximately. The new schedule came in early this year as it is quite safe to give all 3 together. However if a parent wants to separate them they are perfectly entitled to do so. We usually advise that the MMR is given first as that is the 'new' one, whereas the other two are boosters so less risky if given a little later.

CatherinaJTV Wed 19-Sep-12 22:31:40

Irecognisethat - you are kidding, right? Have you ever read any of Wakefield's original papers?

Irecognisethat Wed 19-Sep-12 22:47:05

CJTV - not kidding. Read them. Have heard him speak and present. Have spoken to doctors who worked with him. I've also vaccinated my children with the MMR and think that vaccination - generally speaking is a wonderful life saving piece of science. I also hate the smears which you are brilliant at. You conflate ideas and subscribe to some twisted view that these doctors were unethical and dangerous. Dare I say that the GMC's proceeding have been, if not debunked, at least tarnished by the High Court's ruling in favour of one of AW's co-defendent John Walker-Smith. I usually read the ill informed remarks about that period and the doctors involved, shake my head in dispair and move on. For some reason, tonight, the smugness of your asides just made me see red.
We will never agree and I don't want to hijack this thread any more than we have. It's not fair on the OP. I imagine you'll want to have another go at me - please do, get it out of your system and let's leave it there.

sashh Thu 20-Sep-12 06:24:06

I read the same article as CJTV and came to the same conclusion.

OP

For what it's worth I think MMR first, siply because your dc should already have immunity from the first jabs and the booster is just that, a booster, IMHO better to have immunity (even partial) to more diseases.

CatherinaJTV Thu 20-Sep-12 07:09:44

I don't want to hijack this thread any more than we have. It's not fair on the OP.

Glad we agree there.

NotDoris Thu 20-Sep-12 08:43:00

I'm glad too, wish I had more time to look into it all though....
Thanks Sidge, your post was very helpful :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now