Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please come and tell me about MMR booster

(8 Posts)
RamblingRosa Tue 21-Aug-12 13:48:07

I'm taking DD (4yo) for MMR booster next week. It's been ages since she last had a jab and I'm dreading it.

Can anyone tell me if it has side effects and how long they last?

I'd also appreciate any advice on how to broach the subject with DD. Should I play it down and say it won't hurt? I worry she'll think she can't trust me if I say it won't hurt and then it does. Do I tell her it will hurt a bit?

Is it just one jab or three jabs?

Any tips on bribery, cajoling, etc much appreciated.

TIA

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 21-Aug-12 13:51:59

I think they get 2 jabs - MMR and a 4 in 1 jab for diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and polio.

Neither of mine got side effects from the boosters and I took a lollipop for afterwards

winnybella Tue 21-Aug-12 13:56:05

DD didn't have the booster yet so can't help there. Otoh maybe you could call and check how many shots she'll have and then get the Emla patch (not the cream). You put it on the injection site (usually upper arm) about an hour before. It helped a lot ime, DS had to have dtp and something else recently and said that he didn't feel a thing (I was there and he didn't even flinch). Chocolate buttons or a lolly will help as well.

ObiWan Tue 21-Aug-12 13:59:03

Mine had no side effects.

There are two jabs, one in each arm. We just told the children it was injection day, and off we went. I did expect wailing and crying, but there was a bit of a wimper for the first jab, and miserable acceptance of the second grin.

It will be fine, and the nurse will have seen every reaction before.

RamblingRosa Tue 21-Aug-12 14:18:30

Thanks all. Lollipop and Buttons were what I was thinking grin.

Just looked Emla patch but can't see anything about it in UK. Seems to all be Australia. Did you buy it in UK*Winnybella*?

Glad to hear no side effects.

winnybella Wed 22-Aug-12 09:40:05

No, in France, but here is their UK website and on top there is 'Where to buy', maybe it'll help you find it. Make sure you read the notice, it's different times depending on age.

CatherinaJTV Germany Wed 22-Aug-12 22:54:45

no side effect of number two whatsoever...

Nicebeaver Sat 25-Aug-12 13:16:02

I took my 4 yo for her booster yesterday. I didn't tell her until we were with the nurse which may sound mean but if I had told her prior she would have been anxious and tearful and very reluctant to go to the surgery. She did cry but a lolly helped! She is very tired and clingy today, a bit under the weather so I have given her a dose of calpol. She's asleep now. This tiredness is at least partly down to having a sleepover at her best friend's last night though I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now