Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone who has a child/children

(153 Posts)
holdenmcgroin1979 Sun 19-Aug-12 22:14:56

that hasn't vaccinated? Starting to think I am the only one as out of my group of friends I am the only one whose children aren't.

bumbleymummy Wed 22-Aug-12 22:01:56

That's awful Holden.

LaVolcan Wed 22-Aug-12 22:03:24

Do you know where your youngest caught it from?

I never had mine vaccinated against whooping cough despite the HV trying to guilt trip me into it. My children never caught it; the only ones I know who did had been vaccinated.

bumbley - oh yes I remember as well, but not me!

holdenmcgroin1979 Wed 22-Aug-12 22:09:58

No idea LaVolcan, I wish I knew.

holdenmcgroin1979 Wed 22-Aug-12 22:16:55

Did someone mention buns? I just fancy a nice cream bun now with icing on top. grin

bumbleymummy Wed 22-Aug-12 22:20:52

Oh, don't tempt me! I am in Google hell right now looking for a bathroom sink small enough to fit a new unit. I may have to numb the pain with a jar of nutella and a spoon!

LaVolcan Wed 22-Aug-12 22:23:51

Chocolate eclair for me...mmm yummy.

Sossiges Wed 22-Aug-12 22:27:03

Just fancying one of those doughnuts with jam and real dairy cream...slurp!

numbertaker Wed 22-Aug-12 23:12:16

my DS1 is vaccinated upto and including MMR, no boosters as MMR gave him a dose of measles that lasted 10 weels ish. Then he got a very serious auto-immune disease.

My DS2 is unvaxed, I have looked at vaccines for many years, I have read up how to nurse most of the childhood stuff, tetanus scares the shit out of me, IF i had not seen the damage done by vaccines I would happily vaccinate, I would prefer to vaccinate, but I am left in limbo.

We talked to head of immumisation about our family situation, he said he must advise to vaccinate, but could really understand why we are worried.

jazzandh Thu 23-Aug-12 20:37:34

DS1 is mostly vaxed - I delayed his schedule, gave him single measles at 6.

Ds2 has had the first lot at 6 months, then nothing since. The more I read, the less point I see to be honest. Will probably give him measles at some point.

We are a highly allergic family - and to date both DS seem to have escaped.....

I am vigilant regarding illness and watch carefully, and try not to expose others to potential illness, but I would do that when they have colds.

I find it aggravating, that virtually any other thing that you have done on the NHS, you have to sign a waiver after they have scared you with every possible thing that can go wrong.

they won't give my 65 year old insomniac mother sleeping tablets, as she may become addicted.

vaccinations on the other hand, are safe safe safe......jabs for all.......

It's called herd immunity for a reason....

sashh Fri 24-Aug-12 05:35:22

It is like playing russian roulette, however i would be happier my children fighting of diseases naturally than having it forced upon them.

Wow - just wow. Have you seen a child with measels? Whooping cough? Have you ever seen a child in ICU?

I said on another thread some people have very good, valid reasons not to vaccinate - but this is not a good reason.

seeker Fri 24-Aug-12 06:32:34

There are valid reasons not to vaccinate- but "never got around to it" or "there's no point" aren't valid reasons.

I'm old enough- just- to remember my mother's terror of polio. And to remember being in the middle of an outbreak of cholera in Italy. I have family members who died of TB. Without vaccination these would still be commonplace.

Oh, and not vaccinating against tetanus is, frankly, irresponsible. In the case of many illnesses, unvaccinated people can still rely on the majority vaccinated population protecting them. This does not apply to tetanus.

And how would you go about getting a single tetanus jab seeker? Or at least one without pertussis for a pre-teen?

Pray tell.

Machadaynu Fri 24-Aug-12 17:16:26

Kid is booked in smile

numbertaker Fri 24-Aug-12 18:42:08

I remember watching an advert of a baby near the edge of a cliff, and the message was 'would you put your child in danger' then vaccinate.

Well folks, I saw that, and took my kid along for all his vaccines, ONE TIME, and I would of called someone who did not a fooker for not vaccinating thier kid, until my child got ill, and sicker later on.

So dont give me the patronising crap, about being neglectful. I am so sorry that my child has blown the dream that vaccinations are totally safe, sorry they are not.

numbertaker Fri 24-Aug-12 18:42:42

*ON TIME

seeker Fri 24-Aug-12 18:48:30

I am very sorry about your son- i do hope he's better now.

Nobody has said that vaccines are totally safe. Nothing is. But they are safer than polio. Or diphtheria. Both of which were killers in my childhood, and now don't exist in this country.

I saw one with a lion about to eat a baby in a pushchair. I'd rather be able to have a conversation with my GP about alternatives to the schedule to be honest.

Seeker I'd be very interested to know how to get a single tetanus jab for an under ten year old btw.

seeker Fri 24-Aug-12 19:12:43

"Seeker I'd be very interested to know how to get a single tetanus jab for an under ten year old btw."

I don't know. Presumably you can pay for it?

Not very easily unfortunately. I can't as it would involve three trips to London which is impossible for us with a disabled child and too many £££'s.

Until recently you could get it on the NHS. Now you can't.

numbertaker Fri 24-Aug-12 20:36:37

@ jimjams...how do you cope with the tetanus fear thing. It dominates me every day. I carry around a massive first aid kit, with sugical grade tweezers, wound wash, homeopathy, and other things. I never let the kids wear above the knee shorts in-case they trip, i have educated them on thorns, splinters etc. My big worry is dog or cat bites, so I have memorized NHS treatment guidelines, did you know that a tetanus shot after a wound is useless, and you would need Tetanus immuno globlin, but most just give you a shot and send you home, potentially with tetanus. Tetanus only works after a full course. Even if you have a full course of Tetanus shots and your wound has horse crap or soil deep, they would still give you TIG anyway.

Oh, the happy land of non-vaxers.

numbertaker Fri 24-Aug-12 20:45:12

£130 a shot x 3 x 2 that makes £780 + train, all because you are so unfortunate as to have a history of vaccine traumas. Also its made by serum india, and I am not confident I want it travelling from india in possibly non-stable temperature containers.

TBH numbertaker I don't worry as much as I used to as tetanus injuries are so specific. I never worry about grazes for example. I do worry about splinters and dig them out with a sterile needle and am pleased to see blood. Also after having a panic attack about it one day my mum pointed out that she grew up on a farm without a tetanus shot - as did her 5 siblings. Until that moment I had absolutely no idea that she received her first vaccination as an adult.

But yes I would go to A&E and ask for (and check) for immunoglobulin for a deep puncture wound. I agree that in my experience (as an adult with more than 10 years since a booster) it's not given when it should be. And I sort of think that in some ways it might be safer to insist on the TIG that assume it's okay because of a previous tetanus shot. I guess they're more likely to give it to someone unvaccinated? I would worry about it a lot more if TIG didn't exist - although of course TIG has it's own risk. Splinters worry me more as harder to recognise the risk.

I do remember an alternative practitioner saying to me once if I was going to spend every minute worrying about tetanus then I should get the jab (this was when it was available).

I have my carer's health review soon I might ask then whether it's possible to give ds2 (now 10) a single shot. Although I didn't know about it travelling from India. Hmm. I would relatively happily give a DT as well - it's known to be a relatively safe vaccination, has been around a long time (need to check it's thimerosal free I guess).

I have had sleepless nights over tetanus, don't get me wrong - but the thought of giving pertussis worries me more.

silverfrog Fri 24-Aug-12 21:48:46

It was me with the mumps-like virus-ridden child grin

swab confirmed mumps. dd2's whole year was decimated with the virus (she was one of the last to catch it), and her school has the early years nursery/preschool in the same area as reception (dd2 was reception), and loads of the younger ones were also ill/off with the same thing.

I had to push really hard to get the doctor to swab dd2 - he was happy to send her home with 'mumps-like virus', until I told him I was concerned as mumps was notifiable, whereupon he sighed hugely, and called through for a swab kit.

ElaineBenes Sat 25-Aug-12 02:10:31

I think the op's children are very lucky that the friends they are mixing with are all vaccinated.

It's called herd immunity for a reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now