Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone who has a child/children

(153 Posts)
holdenmcgroin1979 Sun 19-Aug-12 22:14:56

that hasn't vaccinated? Starting to think I am the only one as out of my group of friends I am the only one whose children aren't.

chocoluvva Mon 20-Aug-12 14:25:34

My DCs 13 and 15 have never had the MMR.

LeBFG Tue 21-Aug-12 15:49:59

Why are they not vaccinated holdenmcgroin?

bumbleymummy Wed 22-Aug-12 08:43:26

Probably because she decided not to vaccinate them LeBFG.

Welcome to the board Holden. smile There are lots of people here who have opted for different vaccine schedules - delayed, more spaced out, selective vaccinators and people who haven't vaccinated at all. Some people aren't too happy about that but I'm sure you've had plenty of experience of that in real life anyway. Hope you stick around!

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 11:48:51

Ermm, bit circular don't you think bm? She chose not to vaccinate because she decided not too. A well considered argument, as usual.

By the way, you never did answer what the vaccination status for your children was (asked long ago on another thread). So, what is it?

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 11:58:05

One 'to' not 'too' obviously. Still waiting for a reply from holdenmcgroin....

bumbleymummy Wed 22-Aug-12 11:58:23

You didn't ask why she 'chose' not to vaccinate them, you asked why they weren't vaccinated. They aren't vaccinated because she chose not to vaccinate them. Simple. Her reasons for that aren't really any of your business. You'll probably disagree with whatever reason she gives anyway.

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 12:13:01

Oh stop being silly bm. She posted on here to tell the MN world she doesn't vaccinate. I asked a simple question 'why'. I take offense to your last sentence. A few posters on this board have given good reasons not to vaccinate - I wouldn't dare to presume she was just 'anti-vax' smile

bumbleymummy Wed 22-Aug-12 12:18:24

smile

Machadaynu Wed 22-Aug-12 12:20:42

We've never got around to it. I took the kid for her first one and she got upset, so DP said she wanted to take her in future, so it's off my 'to-do' list, and seemingly has never cropped up on hers.

I think she has to be up-to-date to go to nursery though, so will have to get it sorted I suppose.

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 12:27:02

Yeah, probably a good idea machadaynu.

LaVolcan Wed 22-Aug-12 12:31:44

She posted on here to tell the MN world she doesn't vaccinate.

How do you know this? What makes you think it wasn't a genuine question? She wonders if she's the only one - judging by the responses it looks as though she may well be.

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 12:55:45

Ohh, 'Starting to think I am the only one as out of my group of friends I am the only one whose children aren't [vaccinated]' gives me the clue. Don't you agree this is announcing she doesn't vaccinate?

'What makes you think it wasn't a genuine question?' - absolutely nothing at all. I never insinuated that she was anything less than genuine. You're getting very touchy LaVolcan. I am genuinely interested as to why she has chosen not to vaccinate.

LaVolcan Wed 22-Aug-12 13:19:24

I think you're the one who is getting a tad touchy BFG.

I took the OPs statement at face value. How else should she have phrased it? Did you vaccinate your children yes/no? It's a bit blunt, and might elicite a response, 'non of your damn business' so to question if she is the only one softens it a bit.

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 14:02:57

Err, I didn't say or even imply she was the only one. I also took her post at face value. Which is why I asked a perfectly simple and reasonable question.

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 14:07:32

Oops, thought that was referring to me...heat getting to me. What a silly continuation however. I simply asked 'why' What's wrong with that?

BeaWheesht Wed 22-Aug-12 14:15:34

Ok, this thread is a bit mental is it not? Ask a simple question and all that...

OP - my kids are vaccinated but I did delay them and space them out. The health professionals I came into contact with were VERY anti me doing this so I can only imagine things must be tough if you don't vaccinate at all! You aren't the only one though.

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 14:17:08

Did you have a reason for delaying and spacing them out Bea?

bumbleymummy Wed 22-Aug-12 14:45:13

Why are you asking LeBFG? So you can find fault with her decision?

BeaWheesht Wed 22-Aug-12 14:46:34

Because I wanted to? ;)

Well quite a few of them were delayed because I wanted my kids to be 100% when they got them whereas the surgery do them unless temp consistently 38+ and they are lethargic and very ill.

Also spaced them out because I think its a lot for the immune system to handle all at once.

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 15:11:16

Oh, bm. Jumping the gun as usual.

Bea I can understand why you delayed. Was it not easy to rebook very quickly? It does seem like they are given a lot at once. I'm surprised how well my DS was after each lot. Babies immune systems are surprisingly robust!

I know of two people who don't vaccinate OP (between them totalling eight children). You are not alone. One is religious and objects to things like GMOs, antibiotics and doctors as well as vaccines. The other is VERY woo and thinks her magic mud is more effective. Two contracted measles as teenagers and spent over a week in hospital. I have heard of posters on these boards whose DC have problems with their immune systems. Some have food allergies and would have/have reacted to the vaccines. There are many reasons why people don't vaccinate. I like to keep a mental record of why they chose to opt out.

LaVolcan Wed 22-Aug-12 15:21:34

Out of curiosity, why do you like to keep a mental record of why they choose to opt out?

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 16:45:59

It's a topic of interest. I was also a veggie once and like to know why others choose this lifestyle. I became very interested in vaccinations after assuming everyone vaccinated and then encountering the people mentioned in my last post. The risks of not vaccinating came home like a thump when the two teenagers fell ill a week after I visited their family with premmie DS (at that point unvaccinated). I knew they weren't vaccinated so my fault for the exposure. I then found MN and found others choose not to vaccinate as well. They do so for a myriad of reasons. Some valid, others based just on 'feelings'.

I want to know how much of why people choose not to vaccinate is a product of society and how much is truely personally decided. In France, people are fine with the MMR for example but make a fuss about heb B. Are you not interested in why people choose not to vaccinate?

bumbleymummy Wed 22-Aug-12 16:50:50

How do you determine whether someone's reasons are valid or good?

LeBFG Wed 22-Aug-12 16:54:34

I'll give you some examples: 'I have hayfever, my DC are likely to inherit this. I will not vaccinate as they may have a reaction'. Or, 'some of my friends don't vaccinate, there must be something wrong with the vaccine. I won't vaccinate'. Worse, 'I don't trust doctors. THe doctor says I should vaccinate. I will not do so'. Do you think these are good reasons bm?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now