Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

whooping cough vaccine

(5 Posts)
missingmumxox Mon 30-Jul-12 22:35:33

thanks Sashh, that was the answer I was hoping for, it is what I would do with an adult, but I know children can be a different ball game to adults in so many areas of healthcare.

sashh Sun 29-Jul-12 10:25:03

You have two options.

Book them in for the vaccine.

Book them in for a blood test to see if they have immunity.

But I suspect your GP will just offer to vaccinate.

missingmumxox Sun 29-Jul-12 01:12:35

thanks Elaine
I asked before I moved, but not forthcoming, as I had had to do it with the UK-US move.

I have had a moment of clarity and realise, as I agreed to everything, I just need to look up the school admission policy for that State, I was a little highly strung yesterday and not thinking straight.

ElaineBenes Sat 28-Jul-12 02:33:36

Can't you give the pediatrician's practice a ring in the US and get your DT's medical records? I don't even have a red book and the 3 times I've moved internationally with dc, I've asked for a print out of their vaccination records from pediatrician or GP.

missingmumxox Sat 28-Jul-12 02:26:23

Hi, generally I am shit hot on vaccines as I used to give them and now advise, BUT! these are to adults, so I know nothing about paeds vacs protacols.
So my problem, My DT's had all their vaccinations up to 3 in the UK, when we moved to the US they had nothing until nearly 6 when they started school, I took their Red books along to the family doctor there and they got a whole raft of vaccines at that point, I asked the red book to be filled in each time, looking at them today I can see there is a date missing as I have for some reason put the bill in the back but not the Family doctors form.

please don't judge me on this but for the life of me I can't remember what they had at this point, basically as you can see I am pro vaccine, but I am very annoyed that the land of the free doesn't let your child into school unless you have the vaccines they prescribe in that state, so I just said yes, yes and yes again, so I was just? well annoyed that parents are basically force to do this.
this make no sence but is a very British liberal attitute I am cursed with smile

any road up, I have reason to call the HPA (health protection agency) for work today and also co surfing their website, and the whooping cough is doing the rounds.

I am very worried that A my 2 haven't had the pre-school as in I have no documentation, but they may have had it and B a cousin is looking after my 2 occationally over the summer holidays, and her Dt's are only 8 weeks old.

So after this long and rambling post, would the GP? actually that is another point, do I make an appointment with the GP or Practice nurse for this? so if I just made an appointment would they just give the vaccine whatever? there and then? I am hoping they would, even if there is a chance they had it before?, or will they do blood test? as I feel this would increase the risk.

Also is it worth asking due to cousins DT's and my contact with them asking for a booster myself?

addition information I have had a employee in my work place who at age 54 has just had, and that is where I learned that the vaccine wears off.

thanks if you know any of the answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now