Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Merck sued for falsifying data about mumps vaccine

(12 Posts)
Hotpotch Fri 27-Jul-12 13:20:07

What does everyone think about this?

www.courthousenews.com/2012/06/27/47851.htm

Do people who vaccinate really believe what the pharma companies are telling us...

Tabitha8 Fri 27-Jul-12 19:56:35

Yet another example of why I don't trust vaccines anymore.

numbertaker Sat 28-Jul-12 12:14:53

Bet this will be the most unread thread in vaccines.

LaVolcan Sat 28-Jul-12 12:36:23

Do people who vaccinate really believe what the pharma companies are telling us...

Some of the posters on these threads most emphatically do, and have no hesitation in telling those who dare to question, that they are wrong, wrong, wrong.....

HeyMicky Sat 28-Jul-12 12:40:07

Um, this is a claim, not a ruling. Drawn from another incomplete case. Perhaps hang fire until evidence is produced and a ruling given?

LeBFG Sat 28-Jul-12 19:36:11

Yes HeyMicky - if I was ever up in court, I wouldn't want this lot on my jury.

ElaineBenes Sun 29-Jul-12 02:06:11

Personally, not a big fan of big pharma. Obviously this case has yet to be proven but lots of other examples with vaccines no different to other medication in that sense.

I see vaccination as a way to reduce the chances I will have to use their products. Pharma makes a whole lot more money out of the 10% or so of children with measles who are hospitalized than it does out of vaccinating them.m

LaVolcan Sun 29-Jul-12 07:42:13

Mmm - not sure about that. I don't have time to check my sources because I am going out, but provision of vaccines in the US is $$$$ and some of the pharma companies are monopoly suppliers.

ChunkyPickle Sun 29-Jul-12 08:08:00

It's not that I 'trust' big pharma - it's that I look at all the sources giving me information, and pick the one that has the least chance (with my estimates of reliability of information) of my children getting seriously injured.

Everyone has to make money - big pharma to alternative therapist. Big pharma is held to standards, and when they are discovered to have done something dodgy, they are taken to court and this is publicised.

This is the same for everyone - although unlike big pharma, alternative therapists aren't actually held to a provable standard so can't be taken to court (unless they actually manage to kill someone).

As a noticeable example, take the new european directives on supplements actually having to be able to prove that they have the effects they claim, and the horrified yells coming from 'big herbal' over it.

sashh Sun 29-Jul-12 10:05:46

This was filed in 2010 - with lots of errors.

http://www.beyondconformity.co.nz/_literature_104184/Merck_-_First_filing

LMCG Sun 23-Sep-12 12:18:09

just wanted to agree with numbertaker and lavolcan it's good to know there are some people with sense who are willing to question the `organisation` smile

narmada Mon 10-Dec-12 23:12:44

Um, it is possible to be highly critical of Big Pharma and still believe that vax are on balance a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now