Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Reactions to MMR - how long do they last?

(606 Posts)
MrsMoppetMama Tue 17-Jul-12 18:45:46

My DD (13 months) had her MMR 11 days ago, she had a bad reaction after about 3 days (high temp and trouble breathing) and we took her to urgent care center. Although this has now passed, she seems to be really out of sorts and has stopped sleeping through. Her normal routine was brilliant as she went down from about 7 - 7. Now she is waking every two hours and is very unhappy. Is this normal? is this because of her MMR or is it just a phase? She has also stopped taking her bottle before bed, is it likely that she has weaned herself? Help! It's been pretty easy going with her up to now so a bit stressed by all this.

peachypips Tue 17-Jul-12 18:47:03

Three weeks exactly to the day for my kIds!!!

nancerama Tue 17-Jul-12 18:49:36

I was told by my doctor that an MMR reaction takes 3 weeks to show as it's a live vaccine that takes time to react. Did your DD have just the MMR or the boosters of her other jabs as well? If she had the boosters, that is a more instantaneous reaction

numbertaker Wed 18-Jul-12 10:40:14

For my son it was 10 weeks, and a dose of the measles. I had to go to a homeopath to get him sorted.

numbertaker Wed 18-Jul-12 10:40:47

It is a vaccine reaction, you need to get the doctor to report it.

CatherinaJTV Wed 18-Jul-12 15:46:15

it is very likely just a phase, this time is particularly exciting with toddlers increasing their range and activities during the day - MMR reactions take several days to appear and fever peaks at 9 days after injection. See your doctor if you are worried, but don't let anyone scare you.

BourbonBourbon Wed 18-Jul-12 15:47:31

Lol at homeopath grin

CatherinaJTV Wed 18-Jul-12 15:59:07

BB - and here I was trying to be so good and not LOL at that wink

Tabitha8 Wed 18-Jul-12 19:44:20

What's wrong with homeopaths?

ElaineBenes Thu 19-Jul-12 03:58:53

No evidence that they work beyond placebo. That's what's wrong. The homeopath did nothing. Sorry, but you wasted your money.

Also, if it really is a vaccine reaction, then the OP doesn't need to get anyone to report it. She can do it herself. https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

MrsMoppetMama Thu 19-Jul-12 10:16:46

Thanks for all this, it's good to know that it is the MMR and not something else to worry about. She has calmed down a little bit now but sometimes seems to be out of sorts. Perhaps that is just a phase and is getting me ready for toddler years!!

numbertaker Thu 19-Jul-12 14:03:53

You might LOL at homeopaths, but after 10 weeks of visiting the GP, he held his hands up and said 'i cant help you anymore, try homeopathy' and thank God he did because it cured my son in 24 hours.

numbertaker Thu 19-Jul-12 14:05:09

so LOL back at ya!

numbertaker Thu 19-Jul-12 14:06:05

I swear this place is full to the brim with pharma trolls.

mrsmoppet - you can report the reaction here. It doesn't have to be 'proven' to be reported - any suspected reaction can be recorded (and is worth doing imo). It's probably easier to report it yourself than persuade your GP (although it rather depends on the GP).

https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

JennerOSity Thu 19-Jul-12 14:09:45

Think my DS was affected for about 2 weeks from what I remember and it isn't even that long ago oh dear

Sossiges Thu 19-Jul-12 14:12:07

numbertaker I couldn't agree with you more
I'm LOL at "it is very likely just a phase"
hmm

ElaineBenes Thu 19-Jul-12 17:31:17

I'm guessing you've never heard of regression to the mean, numbertaker.

Don't worry, you're not the first person to be taken in by homeopathy for that very reason.

And of course, who ever heard of toddlers just having a phase hmm

bumbleymummy Thu 19-Jul-12 18:20:41

Yes, they do have phases but they can also have bad reactions to vaccines too.

numbertaker Thu 19-Jul-12 18:42:54

I think after having child raising skills for 14 years, nursing children though vaccine reations, and a major disease, all the while using a combo of western and homeopathy I am fairly well versed in what I see as truth. Also the literally hundreds of hours I have spent looking into vaccines, nutrition and health.

Don't be so patronising. I SAW homeopathy work, I SAW it heal my son when western medicine said it could not help him anymore, if being taken in means health for my children then take me in.

Tabitha8 Thu 19-Jul-12 18:49:42

How does the placebo affect work with a child?

BourbonBourbon Thu 19-Jul-12 20:27:14

Lol at 'I am fairly versed in what I see as truth'

And then lolagain at 'pharma trolls' grin

Sorry but your posts are bonkers. Yes vaccine reactions exist, but homeopathy is a total sham. I'm not a pharmatroll, fun though that does sound.

Whilst really not having the time to enter a bish bash bosh thread there have been some interesting things about homeopathy in the press in the not too distant past

this for example although he is a rather controversial figure. And some links to various interesting looking papers in this article for anyone interested.

Oh some of the links have expired - you need to search for them.

now this is an intriguing paper although tbh I don't know why the homeopaths bother. They're never going to get their research accepted in a mainstream journal, whatever they do, so they're never going to be accepted by those too 'clever' to try it. :shrugs: They should just get on with treating people who come to them. Or is the EU trying to get rid of them as well?

That by the way is the froggy paper from the Guardian - where the link had expired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now