Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.
Is anyone else waiting for single mumps jab?(39 Posts)
I posted a message the other day about the single mumps vaccine only had one response it's been pretty quiet on here lately!
Just wondered if there is anyone else waiting for the single mumps jab? We went down the road of single jabs we've had measles and rubella but we've been waiting 2 years for the mumps vaccine. A clinic in London have said they ate expecting supplies in December although I'm
Not sure I'm feeling confident about it they are taking peoples money up front it's already been moved from July! The private clinic we started the singles with informed me the longer the mumps vaccine is unavailable the likely hood is it will never be! He is a gp and has said that he feels confident in the mmr and that his advice would be to go for the mmr if mumps is still not available he says he has given it to all 3 of his children it's hard isn't it as I'm sure that doctors etc wouldn't give it to their children if it wasn't safe but it makes you feel uneasy when there has been so much negative press about the mmr and autism! I'm also paranoid about my daughter getting mumps as my gp told me that whilst training in peadetrics she see a case of a toddler that ended in cerebal palesy! I'm delaying my daughter starting preschool until jan on the premise this mumps jab comes up as I'm worried about her catching it! Anyone else started with singles and then opted for mmr for the same reason???
with regards to rubella and measles, the blood test is a one off, definitely not every year - there is some indication that the mumps immunity may wane, but if was immune to mumps after 1 MMR, that would probably last him for into his early 20ies and any further blood draw would be his business...
I've been following this thread with interest. My ds had the first mmr jab when he was almost 2yo. We didn't have the money to go for separate jabs and we we were about to travel abroad so... Fortunately he didn't have any unusual reactions. I wonder about giving him a booster. Has anyone here done the first mmr and then had separate jabs done?
BleepyBoop - mumps is probably the most important booster and still not available as a single, so if you went with singles now, you'd be stuck without mumps.
Why would say that mumps is the most important booster? In the sense that the mumps component of the MMR is the least likely to work?
I would consider the most important to be the one that protects against the disease that potentially carries more risks.
I don't think there is chance of the clinics getting single mumps vaccine - it isn't being manufactured anymore. We got caught the same way with DSS; paid for the first two singles after being assured by the clinic that they would get supplies of the mumps by x date. Nice little earner (allegedly). We finally just got the MMR (which was what we wanted to do in the first place) and it was fine.
I think you are right to want to get your daughter fully immunised, OP, and whilst sterility is hardly going to be a major concern to you and your DD personally, the risks of meningitis might be. Before the MMR was introduced, mumps was the commonest cause of viral meningitis in the UK.
viral is an important word there. Viral meningitis is not the same as bacterial meningitis. It is much less serious. From the meningitis research foundation :
"Most cases of viral meningitis are relatively mild, with symptoms of headache, fever and general ill feeling, and those affected recover without medical treatment."
Also, according to the HPA there is no firm evidence that mumps causes sterility.
Just to add: both of my DDs had mumps last year.
Both had received the MMR. One had both jabs, the other was 6 mths from her booster.
They caught it from a friend of mine who is a teacher and who had mumps for a second time!
Looks like MMR doesn't necessarily provide protection in all cases.
Oh, and anyone worried about the potential link between MMR and autism should look at the twin studies conducted. These prove that autism is genetic. MMR can possibly expedite the onset of autism but it is not the cause.
Sorry to add further confusion.
Spoken to childrens immunisation centre earlier. Still no update on mump vaccine supply!
My boy is 6 now and been waiting 3 years for CIC to come up with the final part in his MMR single vacs. We continually get appointments which used to fill me with hope until weeks before you receive txt saying no stock. Last update was that the CIC where lobbying MP? Not heard a whisper since anyone else got any info.....
according to this Merck has no intention of making the single mumps vaccine so it may never become available again
just found this info on babyjabs website, not sure how old it is
Mumps vaccine latest
BabyJabs is aware that a single mumps vaccine may be available in the UK over the coming weeks. At present we do not know the manufacturer nor do we have any information on the effectiveness or safety of this vaccine. If we are totally satisfied that this vaccine is both safe and effective then we will offer it. We will post further information as soon as we have it.
Need to be aware that many private clinics are trying to get approval for a new vaccine following the Merck withdrawal. There are none approved at the moment and at least one is following a similar route to a previously rejected vaccine under a new name .... it is important that vaccines are proven to be both safe and effective not simply safe.
The MHRA (the body which ultimately manages these approvals in the UK) last week posted its findings on statements made on the CIC website ..
13 September 2012
The MHRA was made aware of information presented on the Childrens Immunisation Centre (CIC) website about Medi-Mumps and a related press release. The MHRA was concerned that the information provided an unbalanced view of the safety and efficacy of the vaccine because it did not mention the MHRAs concerns and previous CSM advice or that the product was unlicensed.
We understood that the Medi-Mumps vaccine is manufactured from the same stock and processed in the same way as Pavivac mumps vaccine. The MHRA, acting on advice from an independent advisory committee, the Committee on Safety of Medicines (CSM), has for a number of years objected to the importation of the Pavivac product because there is insufficient information available to assure its safety, quality and efficacy. See statement from the committee on safety of medicines (82Kb) for more details.
CIC amended the websites to remove the information about Medi-Mumps.
Date case raised: 3 April 2012
Date action agreed: 2 May 2012
Date of publication: 13 September 2012
We, like many parents, have completed all our vaccinations except the mumps in both our children. We would consider the MMR however we have asked our GP and a Consultant to confirm that it is known to be safe to double/triple dose on the elements of MMR already received, and no one can say. We have written to Merck and received a reply passing us to another part of the empire and we are still waiting. We have written to our MP.
The NHS Choices website states it is ok but not the basis for this claim. A qualified PHd student in this field informally advised us that it should be ok because the body will ignore the known elements of the MMR.
We will pursue an answer from Merck but feel the government should do more to help clarify the position and reassure parents 'stranded' by the unplanned change in Merck's production policy in 2011. (This is not the government' 'fault' although some claim that there was political pressure on Merck in the US at least) but a duty of care to support families in this position should be a priority as it will in due course undermine herd immunity.
It would be a "one off" or at least a "one for a very long time" test. There is certainly no reason to test titres annually, unless your son would work in a high risk profession (medic/teacher or so).
Join the discussion
Please login first.