Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

hpv vaccine

(51 Posts)
kentmumtj Sun 12-Sep-10 20:51:13

i am so worried about giving consent for my dd to have the hpv vaccine as it seems quite new and there are all sorts of side effects which worrys me adice welcome

kentmumtj Sun 12-Sep-10 20:55:43

i would love to know how many parents would consents and how many wouldnt. I would also like to hear from parents who hve consented and how their dds were after the jabs

DuffyMoon Sun 12-Sep-10 21:00:47

I consented and my daughter was fine...apart from a sore arm

kentmumtj Sun 12-Sep-10 21:24:16

well thats good to hear as i have heard so many horror stories and really dont know what to do

musicmadness Thu 16-Sep-10 02:02:51

Discuss it with your daughter either way. In my area at least (I don't know if its the same across the country) the child can over ride the parents decision so its worth talking to her about it.

For what its worth I had the HPV vaccine in the catch up program and the only side effect was my arm ached for a couple of days. As far as I know no one at my school had any side effects besides feeling a little sick immediately afterwards and a sore arm for a couple of days afterwards maximum. No problem at all grin

Numbers for the year I had it done in my school (roughly):
sixth formers - about 80% of the year so approximately 100 girls. No parental consent required.

Year 8s - roughly 80 girls (out of 97). About 10 of these were the girls over ruling the parents.

Obviously I have no idea if the same proportions exist elsewhere, and this is all from personal experience rather than anything official so I don't know if it helps or not. Hope it does though

Appletrees Fri 17-Sep-10 09:58:07

No, I haven't and I won't give my consent. There's quite a lot of discussion on this in this topic. Sorry I can't go into it but wanted you to know you aren't the only one.

If you really don't want your daughter to have it you will have to explain to her quite clearly why because the nurse will try to persuade her. It would be quite difficult for a child to withstand that.

If you think she can't I would tell the school consent is withheld because all jabs are done at the GP due to a previous horrifying reaction in a relative.

kentmumtj Sat 18-Sep-10 20:23:34

well i didnt consent and we spoke with our dd at length she was happy to go with our choice. I am not anti vaccines at all they have had all their other jabs.

The school nurse has not contacted me as yet i guess i will have to wait to see if they will. I hope they dont put pressure on her to have it as thats really unfair.

I also have dd19 and a dd17 who have chosen to not have the vaccine based on their own choices not on mine.

I guess it is a personal choice.

Im not worried about the short term afects its the long term effects that concerns me. This is something that no professional has been able to give me any confirmation on and that is simply becuase they do not know yet. This is my worry.

also i do not understand why the UK chosses to use a different vaccine to other european countries

jem44 Sat 18-Sep-10 20:36:58

Since the majority of sexually active people are exposed to HPV at some time anyway, would the long term effects be different to being exposed naturally, I wonder? I was a bit concerned that they are not absolutely sure how long protection will last.

My daughters had Gardasil which protects against more strains than Cevarix. Apart from feeling faint they were fine but I was told by the doctor that it is rather a painful vaccination.

There is also an age at which it "takes" best, I understand and for that reason, as well as protecting them before they are active, it is considered best given before the late teenage years. I waited until mine were 14/15 rather than 12 though.

kentmumtj Sat 18-Sep-10 21:02:22

from the infomation i have gathered through reading and seeking many medics advice i think it protets for about 6 years

musicmadness Sat 18-Sep-10 21:53:54

Its at least 6 years. They don't know any further than that yet because the tests were only done 6 years ago. They just know that the immunity is still going strong at this point. They don't know how long it will last though.

Appletrees The nurse didn't see any of the girls who weren't having it done at my school. The nurses were in the library for the vaccinations and anyone who had said they didn't want the jab was not allowed in the room. Does your DDs school make them all talk to the nurse? Thats bad if they do.

Kentmumtj I don't think they will contact you. They may ask if your DD is happy with your decision (ask your DD that is) but I don't think they ask again after that. They just accept the no IME. They should do anyway. I'm with you on the its a personal choice thing. They shouldn't contact again once a decision has been made.

Jem44 IME it doesn't hurt. It just aches a bit. It was no where near as painful as the TB jab anyway. That one was bloody painful!

kentmumtj Mon 20-Sep-10 14:42:17

I have spoken with my dd i feel happy that i have made this decision and i have spoken with my dd about it.

and yes the TB jab oohhh i remember that one and am still bearing the scar. strangely they will not offer this injection to my children which i would like them to have. This is despite my eldest dd who 4 years ago was in the same class as a girl who developed TB. When i asked why my dd wouldnt get the jab and the majority of others were i was informed it because i live in a different borough and the borough i live in is classed as a low risk area,

Stupid if you ask me they were in the same class. Oh well

magimix Mon 20-Sep-10 20:40:11

I read somewhere that girls were being used as guinea pigs for the HPV vaccine, this alarmed me enough not to give my approval. Also I do wonder what effect vaccines have on our children we seem to be giving them so many these days at quite young ages, many contain mercury which cannot be good for the body.

kentmumtj Tue 21-Sep-10 11:20:59

crikey if i had read that it would have made my decision easier..........how scary, but possibly true as they do not know the long term side effects

jsomum Tue 21-Sep-10 13:37:52

I am also feeling very unhappy about this vaccination. My daughter only just 12 and is very small for her age which concerns me, and if the vaccine lasts for 6 years I think she is still too young. Also they still need to have smear tests. I spoke to the school nurse who said she could be put on the list for next year but my daughter was upset by that suggestion. She does not want to be any different to her peers so would rather have the jab now in year8. Any advice...

DiscoDaisy Tue 21-Sep-10 13:40:29

My daughter had it and didn't have any side effects at the time apart from a sore arm.

Appletrees Tue 21-Sep-10 13:56:50

Jso: I understand the not wanting to be different. But your concerns are more important. I imagine you would like to be told -- just go ahead, it's fine -- somebody to take the decision out of your hands. At least you'll feel you've done the right thing.

But you need to remember that if there are any adverse events, you will not be believed, your daughter will not be treated as having suffered vaccine damage, it will be deemed a coincidence, you will be ignored and disregarded by doctors and all health professionals. The same ones who want you to have it done. You and your daughter will be utterly abandoned. Do not doubt it. It has happened, it is happening and it will happen again. One mother has even been threatened with having her daughter taken into care because of her staunch determination to have an HPV adverse event admitted to be vaccine damage.

Those reassurances will be forgotten and any claims you make will be rejected.

jsomum Tue 21-Sep-10 14:14:21

Thank you for your replies. I suppose I find it hard to stand firm in the face of such a huge majority who have the vaccine without a second thought. Quote from dd, "I'll be the only one!!" I am also shocked by how important peer pressure and the desire to fit in has become for my dd in the last 6 months or so.
I didn't hesitate for the other vaccines when the children were younger but the HPV does not sit comfortably with me......
I do feel that I could be letting dd down by failing to protect her from the risk of cancer, and as usual dh doesn't quite see what all the fuss is about!!
This helps though, thanks and I'm getting the hang of acronyms - slowly.

kentmumtj Tue 21-Sep-10 15:52:09

oh dear that must make it hard when your daughter wants yo have it to 'fit in'. I guess i must have been lucky as my dd kind of left the decision to me as she feels that i know best, i tried to explain to her that i dont always know best and in this case it may be that the jab is brilliant and worth having.

She told me that she thinks most of the girls are having it and knows for definate that 1 of them isnt.

I guess she has put her trust and faith in me as her mum, which is nice as im sure she wont in years to come lol

talk with your daughter about your worries i did with mine and was honest.

Pixel Tue 21-Sep-10 21:11:31

My dd was the only one who didn't have it but she was happy with the reasons why we didn't give consent. We told her she doesn't have to be a sheep! Since she is perfectly capable of understanding that if she decides she wants it later on it will have to be before she becomes sexually active then we saw no reason to rush into it at the age of 12.

Jem44, I wonder how they know it 'takes' best in younger teens? I've read that they didn't test it on anyone under the age of 16.

magimix Wed 22-Sep-10 08:59:08

Totally agree with Appletrees comments, another issue is if you want to obtain vaccine batch numbers for any reason you might find this very difficult after the event. What pees me off is that they are happy to give our children one vaccine after another but unhelpful if you want more information at a later date i.e batch numbers. My advice is to get the batch number from the nurse at the time of vaccinating and if anything goes wrong at least you have some evidence. I am thinking of course about the BCG vaccinations that were withdrawn without explanation back in 2000, why? were they hiding something from us?

allfornature Thu 23-Sep-10 14:40:08

I find it really disturbing that adults are making these decisions for their daughters without having enough evidence that in the long term this vaccine will actually benefit the health. how do we know that in 10 or 15 years these vaccines won't increase the instances of infertility or perhaps have more adverse impact on health? I don't like that the HPV vaccine is developed using genetically modified trans-species virus.
personally, I cannot make this decision for my daughter, I think it is unethical. how can I play with my daughters future? my daughter decided on not getting it.

governmentandreform Fri 24-Sep-10 21:01:54

My dc are used to not being sheep. I will have to go into the details more with dd so that she can withstand pressure from the nurse. I've explained to dd that she mustn't scare all her classmates to death though, so not to go public with the risks.

As I understand it, like all the other vaccines, this one will have to be renewed every so often throughout their lives (if you go along with the theory of having it at all).

nailvarnishqueen Wed 29-Sep-10 15:07:43

my dd didn't have the vaccine yesterday at school. When all other girls in the year were asked to line up, so was my daughter, then when she gave her form to the school nurse, the nurse was astounded that it was a refusal, she then gave my daughter another form to bring home and fill in. My dd then had to endure other girls in the class telling her that "now she would get cancer and die" I feel awful that this has happened and i have complained to the school. Has anything like this happened to anone else?

MariaBN6 Wed 29-Sep-10 15:38:34

I so feel for your daughter, NVQ. How terrible of the other girls to tell her this! I would definitely complain and try and make them look into it and get them to take their words back. Did your daughter get upset? I would probably tell mine that she should reply that this is a new vaccine and its effects are unknown, and could be really awful. Plus vaccination is not a law in the UK! Hope your DD is ok.

nailvarnishqueen Wed 29-Sep-10 20:20:51

Thanks for your kindness MariaBN6. My dd is ok now after telling her classmates "it's her body and her decision" most of the classmates had the jab because everyone else was, which is not a great reason to have it imho and it's great to read the posts here and know i'm not the only one who is not convinced that the jab is a good thing.

bubbleymummy Wed 29-Sep-10 22:05:39

How awful Nailvarnish. You must be very proud of your daughter for standing up for herself though. I hate the way this vaccine is being promoted. Clearly, these girls and their parents aren't making an informed decision if their opinion is that by not getting it you will get cancer and die hmm.

kentmumtj Fri 01-Oct-10 20:28:41

Hi just to update you all my dd's class and year group had their vac today. My dd was 1 of 2 who didnt have it. No one spoke to her about the reasons why or tried to persuade her which im relived about.

Both of us are happy with our decision

sara32 Wed 10-Nov-10 20:25:14

If I could have known my daughter would react the way she did, obviously I would never have had it done.
She was fine afterwards, laughing at everyone in the medical room and their sore arms (this was one side effect she never got)... having had the jab at 9am, by 4pm she needed to go to bed, and as the night progressed she felt worse and worse.. sick shaky, sore throat, by 10pm we were on the phone to NHS direct and around 1am the docs had to come out to her as I neither thought it was serious enough for an ambulance, but also didnt want to move or distress her unnecessarily - however her temp was massive and her mouth, tongue and lips were swollen and she was finding breathing painful. It was just horrible.
But the worst of it is, she has not been well for one day since. And she had it 23 days ago and has only been to school for once day in that time (yesterday)... and that was so much for her, she slept from 8pm last night til midday today.
Its an ongoing nightmare, and to quote someone else on here - NO-ONE is listening to us. Its all a coincidence that she was fit and healthy before the jab and now is not. They tested her for glandular fever as her current symptoms fit this, but she was neg for it.
She has fainted and daily goes from agony and sweating to feeling "ok" "ish".
I am hoping she will go to school for eng and maths tomorrow, but I dont know.
So anyway, had I known all this, of course I wouldnt have let her have it, but I didnt even think. I just let her have it and have regretted it ever since!!!

MariaBN6 Fri 12-Nov-10 14:28:54

My heart goes out to you, sara32. How sad that your daughter is so poorly. Do you believe in homeopathy and do you know of a good one in your area? Homeopaths are known to reverse the damage done by vaccines. If you are interested you can join the yahoo Arnica group - there are quite a few homeopaths there, otherwise they might recommend one. Has to be a tried and tested one though! not all homeopaths are the same. Alternatively, you can write to an arnica leader in your area and ask them for advice! Here's a list:
http://www.arnica.org.uk/arnica_uk_network.html
All the best wishes and hopefully your daughter will be well soon.

kentmumtj Sat 13-Nov-10 20:31:39

Sara im so sorry to hear about

bruffin Sat 13-Nov-10 23:46:31

You may need to get several tests for glandular fever. My ds's friend took months to get a proper diagnosis. He was ill for months.

glandular fever test

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 19-Dec-10 18:51:21

Sounds dreadful sara. Your poor dd. Have you reported it as an adverse reaction?

Agree with testing again for glandular fever though - it doesn't always show first time.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 19-Dec-10 18:52:09
choclab Wed 24-Oct-12 15:24:52

Im in same dilemma , please any advice , dd due to have on friday sad I'm in 2 minds , obviously we all want to protect our children for the future , but I'm concerned about the side effects , specially as when she had her MRI she reacted badly , high temp , sore swollen arm for ages after ...shaky
also , she's only 12 , is it really necessary to do it so early ,..and I'm also very concerned as to the fact this is a new vaccine , do we really know the long term out come ? side effects ?

my gut instinct is to say no (although signed form) but as approaching im not so sure , hmm hard being a mum sometimes ....

Sossiges Wed 24-Oct-12 16:10:48

This is quite an old video, but has some interesting information.

choclab Wed 24-Oct-12 16:20:35

omg

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 24-Oct-12 16:49:28

DD had hers. She said it didnt hurt and she hates needles.

I am very pro vaccination and think we are unbelievably lucky to live in an age where it is possible.

Hate the scaremongering surrounding vaccination. Can't help feeling its MC mums with too little knowledge, too few real problems and far too much time on their hands, trying to protect their DCs against a non existent threat rather than a real one.

choclab Wed 24-Oct-12 16:55:26

what does MC mums mean ..sorry ...

JoTheHot Wed 24-Oct-12 20:12:19

Some reasons to take the above video with a large pinch of salt

I do wonder how people like Mercola sleep at night. They're not satisfied getting rich selling snake oil. They've got to frighten people off mainstream medicine too.

Sossiges Wed 24-Oct-12 21:58:09

"Quackwatch"?

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 24-Oct-12 22:34:16

Middle class, in the sense of being comfortably off so they are able to worry about buying organic food and avoiding cheap meat and stress about BSE etc.

Educated, but not scientists, read a lot, but not terribly critical about the source of their info.
They don't read the daily mail, but absorb any old scaremongering crap in a similar way.

They have the totally natural desire to wrap their DCs in cotton wool, even though their DCs stand the least chance of coming to harm of any in society.

With few real dangers they become paranoid about the dangers of vaccines, cell phones, pesticides, whatever the latest scare is.

Oh and lots of them believe in homeopathy!

CatherinaJTV Wed 24-Oct-12 22:49:11

Startail grin

JoTheHot Thu 25-Oct-12 06:58:28

'Quack' as in charlatan, 'watch' as in to keep an eye on.

GLTOmum Wed 28-Nov-12 23:10:09

Hi to all of you mums who have voiced your concerns on the HPV vaccine. I would just like to make you all aware of what has happened to my daughter. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and after my 15yr old had the vaccine 2 yrs ago with no side effects I didn't think anything of it when I agreed to my other daughter having it 9wks ago. As a parent it was the worst decision I ever made. Within 20minutes 10% of the girls became poorly and were sent home. 4% of those girls have since suffered serious side effects, my daughter being in that percentage. For 7wks she has suffered headaches, dizziness & feeling nauseous. 2weeks ago she complained of having sore legs. A few days later her joints were very painful so much so that she has since been on crutches as she is unable to walk unaided at present. My daughter who is very bubbly and full of beans loves her sport. She was a super fit, healthy girl. Today she is a shadow of her former self and struggles to get through a school day. It is so hard as her mum to see her go through this. We are awaiting an MRI scan but it's like talking on deaf ears to the doctors and health authorities. They seem to close rank and say that it's coincidental! We saw an amazing reflexologist who said her liver was full of toxins which have since over spilled - affecting other parts of her body. How many statistics do the health authorities need before taking notice. How many girls suffering with the same or very similar symptoms do the doctors need to see? Her school have since pulled out of the programme. Please think hard and research before making your decision. Thanks for reading.

CatherinaJTV Thu 29-Nov-12 22:22:41

GLTOmum - I am sorry to hear that your daughter is unwell however this

"We saw an amazing reflexologist who said her liver was full of toxins which have since over spilled - affecting other parts of her body."

is complete hogwash. I hope your reflexologist is not charging you too much for this nonsense...

sashh Fri 30-Nov-12 02:44:55

What Catherina said.

ripsishere Fri 30-Nov-12 02:55:19

Number three agreeing with Catherina.
My DD is 11.6. She will be being vaccinated next year. No question.

GLTOmum Sat 01-Dec-12 16:40:59

Maybe maybe not. Blood tests have come back which certainly confirm a few things. How long these side effects remain is unknown. The local health authority is now listening to those parents whose girls have been affected But the point of my message was to say do your research as this is a new vaccine being used in the UK before easily agreeing to the vaccine.

GeorgeCauldron Sat 01-Dec-12 16:51:03

What research do you suggest? A consultation with a reflexologist, presumably.

How about talking to a doctor? That would be novel.

umgroup Fri 18-Jan-13 07:16:07

my dd was one of the first group of teens to have this, glad to say she had no side effects whatsoever, got another daughter coming up to 12 will also consent to her having it without hesitation. neither of them have had any side effects from any childhood vaccines, i would probably be more cautious if they had, i do think that if they haven't had a bad reaction before then they will be fine.

ZZZenAgain Tue 12-Mar-13 22:26:07

I am very worried about this, dd is 12. She is due to have the vaccination on Friday but I am concerned after reading about the side effects and the limited protection it actually offers. Undecided as yet, dd is up to date on all her other vaccinations but I think I will skip this one. Doctor told me she didn't think it was necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now