Present for a 12 year old boy

(16 Posts)
GoLightlyHollie Thu 17-Nov-16 21:40:42

Can anyone advise what to buy a 12 year old boy with a limit of £20? In a nutshell, this is a scheme run by the met police here in London, whereby I've registered to buy a child a gift and have been allocated a 12 year old boy. I guess he will be from a fairly deprived inner city background therefore I'd imagine that it won't be something on the babyish end of what 12 year olds might like, if that makes sense, so probably a bit streetwise (or maybe not). Anyway as a mom of 3 year old, I've no idea what to buy but I really want to get this right.
Any thoughts? Would be happy to spend a little more if there was something really "must have" out this year.
Really grateful for any suggestions.

nutellabella Thu 17-Nov-16 21:48:15

Guinness world records or any of the many other gaming editions? I have a 12 yr old DS & hes v difficult to buy for but he loves these kind of books!

LightsLoveLaughter Thu 17-Nov-16 21:50:31

VR headset?

LittleStripyBee Thu 17-Nov-16 21:51:56

Wow lights I was about to say the same! I have a 12 yo ds and I'm getting him one.

LightsLoveLaughter Thu 17-Nov-16 21:57:00

I have got one for my DS 12th birthday in a few days grin

BackforGood Thu 17-Nov-16 22:04:53

Oh, that's tricky. I looked at your title and came on to say 'Cash' but that won't work in these circumstances.

Basketball? (+ pump?)
er.... that's all I've got at the moment.
Might there be anyone at the scheme who can give you some ideas?

imnervous Thu 17-Nov-16 22:07:42

Sports top- sports direct sell different coloured adidas football style Tshirts

Football

LightsLoveLaughter Thu 17-Nov-16 22:10:06

The VR headset I have bought was £10 from The Works.

MollyHuaCha Fri 18-Nov-16 22:00:50

Dartboard with magnetic (not pointy) darts.

GoLightlyHollie Fri 18-Nov-16 22:09:36

Oh that's fantastic, thank you for all the ideas. The VR headset seems to be a winner but I might look into the other items too. Though possibly not a sports shirt as I have no idea whom I'm buying for so can't risk buying the wrong football top.

BrollyXmas Fri 18-Nov-16 22:19:05

He'd need to have a phone for the VR headset?

GoLightlyHollie Fri 18-Nov-16 22:34:21

Oh I hadn't thought of that. And given the nature of the scheme, there is a chance he won't have one.
Back to the drawing board.
(Last year I got allocated a 3 year old girl and it was so much easier!)

LightsLoveLaughter Sat 19-Nov-16 08:55:45

Lego?

LightsLoveLaughter Sat 19-Nov-16 08:57:20

JD or Sports Direct voucher?

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 19-Nov-16 09:06:54

We had a magnetic dartboard for a while (cost about £20), DS and his friends liked it when they were about 7 or 8 but grew very frustrated with it within a year or so and moved safely on to a real one, however I agree that a real one would not be a good idea for an unknown recipient who might have much younger siblings for example.

I think a ball and pump, football or basketball is a good idea.

daimbar Sat 19-Nov-16 11:55:45

Hey OP I can arrange for you to have one of these games for £20 (rrp £49). Would be a great gift for a 12 year old boy. PM me if interested : http://classicwarlord.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now