York or Lake District in October?

(8 Posts)
MrsAmaretto Sun 25-Sep-16 15:48:02

Wondering where to go with my 6&3year olds in a couple of weeks for 5 nights. Which would you choose? I'd prefer to self cater than a hotel so we could have a separate sitting room.

Will the Lake Dostrict be miserable with not much to do if the weather is poor?

Sirzy Sun 25-Sep-16 15:52:29

I love the lakes but I think unless you are very outdoorsy in all weathers type people York is probably better at that time of year

SolomanDaisy Sun 25-Sep-16 15:52:41

Go to Keswick. There's loads to do there if the weather isn't good (indoor climbing play centre, swimming pool, cinema etc.) and obviously plenty to do if it is good! There are lots of holiday cottages to rent too.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 25-Sep-16 16:05:47

But the bad weather stuff in Keswick is stuff you can do anywhere. And I say that as someone who loves The Lakes and just back from a fab week in Keswick.

I would go to York.

mogloveseggs Sun 25-Sep-16 16:07:57

I would do the lakes it's beautiful in autumn. Wray castle near Ambleside is great for kids has some Peter rabbit themed rooms as well as space to play and dress up.

usual Sun 25-Sep-16 16:08:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

petitpois55 Sun 25-Sep-16 17:39:32

Lake District every time. As said above, it's beautiful in Autumn.

MrsAmaretto Sun 25-Sep-16 19:46:17

I should have said I live in the northern isles, so soft play centre's etc are quite a novelty for my children!

Where should we base ourselves in the lakes? Is Keswick the best idea?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now