Any useful websites to try when looking for a UK holiday?

(14 Posts)
bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sat 17-Sep-16 22:43:39

Just that really - for Summer 2017. We were going to go abroad next year but our finances cannot stretch to it.

Tried Bluestone, Butlins and Hoseasons.

Not interested in Haven or Pontins and we have been to Ribby Hall near Blackpool. Center Parcs I fear will be expensive and we're going there in 6 weeks.

So, does anyone have any good websites to research when looking at self-catering accommodation.

Our criteria is South of England or Wales, 6 persons and a budget for accommodation no more than £1500 for a week.

Wolfiefan Sat 17-Sep-16 22:44:32

I think we used English country cottages a few years ago.

MiddleClassProblem Sat 17-Sep-16 22:47:57

Owners direct I used to use a lot but we are also going to stay at a place called Wall Eden Farm next year. I've not been but it does look great and good reviews on trip advisor x

puckingfixies Sat 17-Sep-16 22:56:51

If you use an online travel agency such as owners direct/homeaway/trip advisor/holiday lettings or airbnb you will be charged a booking fee of between 9 and 15% which can really eat into your budget.

There is a company called theholidaylet.com which puts you in touch with the accommodation owner, you can book directly with them so no booking fee = more spending money, they have a good selection of properties in both locations.

mummymeister Sun 18-Sep-16 01:07:58

pick the place that you want to go to and contact the local tourist information office there. also have a look at visit Britain and visit England website. agree that you should always try to book direct as you then cut out the commission and also can make sure you know what you are getting.

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sun 18-Sep-16 19:51:03

I think part of the problem is that we don't know where to start in terms of destination.
Also today our circumstances may have changed in that we may end up going abroad during May half term! Part of the reason why we couldn't was because of finances but that may not be as bad now and the other reason was for personal circumstances for our holiday friends but bringing it forward may counteract that.

Will look at the above websites.

Any suggestions of Southern counties with lots to offer for a 5 and 2 year old?

No1HolidayPlanner Sun 18-Sep-16 21:27:36

Look at www.premiercottages.co.uk... All 4 or 5 star.. Many with pools. smile

mummymeister Mon 19-Sep-16 15:31:20

not sure if you are looking as far as cornwall. we prefer SE cornwall because its just over the border into devon and not the slog down to the bottom that it used to be. when we go to cornwall we still stay HERE even though it has a lot for smaller children and younger as opposed to our teens/older teens.

NisekoWhistler Mon 19-Sep-16 15:39:18

Farm stay or stay on a farm - give it a google there are some great self catering places

MrsJayy Mon 19-Sep-16 15:41:55

If you google places to stay in... It gives you a better idea rather than googling holiday cottages or whatever it's what we do

MrsJayy Mon 19-Sep-16 15:43:29

I love Dorset round about damage is where we usually go

MrsJayy Mon 19-Sep-16 15:44:41

Urm Swanage not damage

Avebury Tue 20-Sep-16 19:18:14

Isle of Wight would be good for those ages

olympicfan Sun 25-Sep-16 20:18:15

www.real-family-holidays.org/

holida67.wixsite.com/torridge-house

Two great holiday ideas if you have kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now