Yorkshire Holiday cancellation

(5 Posts)
Sipperskipper Thu 01-Sep-16 10:18:18

Hi,

I wonder what you all think of this. Back in June, booked a weeks break through a company in a cottage in yorkshire for beginning of nov. Paid £100 deposit. They contacted me about 2 weeks later to say they had messed the dates up and could we postpone by a day. Had to swop shifts etc at work to sort, but I was flexible & didn't make a fuss.

Fast forward to now, have just found out in a few weeks pregnant (hooray!) and am feeling pretty rough. In addition, I've not got much holiday left, and our work holiday year starts in april.

Have rung to cancel, and whilst I by no means expect my deposit back, they have said if they can't re let it, I will have to pay the full amount!

Looking at the Ts & Cs it is in the small print, but how on earth can this be right? I have never heard of this before. Feel particularly miffed as I was so flexible when they messed up.

Advice appreciated!

LIZS Thu 01-Sep-16 10:22:48

Sounds normal tbh. November is hardly peak letting season and only 2 months away. It isn't their fault that you didn't allow enough leave and you will probably feel better by then anyway.

Imgrr Thu 01-Sep-16 10:25:28

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I'd still go, it's a couple of months away and hopefully you'll be feeling better.

The company are right to charge the full amount if they can't re-let, you agreed to the t and c.

Sipperskipper Thu 01-Sep-16 10:37:29

Thank you for your help. Looking at my emails, they only sent the t&c to me after I'd booked & paid my deposit, and on my confirmation invoice there's nothing saying that by booking I'm agreeing to their conditions, which doesn't seem right at all!

mummymeister Thu 01-Sep-16 10:40:46

You should have been made aware of the t's and c's before you paid out any money. are they on their website anywhere?

In some respects its up to you to ask what the t's and c's are before parting with any money but I would have a word with your local trading standards officer and see what they think.

the conditions are pretty standard so don't think that you can argue with the policy but do think that their procedures aren't what they should be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now