Minehead Butlins first time/lone parent

(11 Posts)
mrsgendry Thu 25-Aug-16 14:19:37

Hi all! I am looking for some advice/information regarding going to Minehead Butlins for a week with my recently 3 year old. We were supposed to go with his dad but he's a knob he is no longer coming with. I have never been on holiday myself let alone with my son, not even for a day.

I don't drive (we're getting a coach hmm which was already arranged) so once there it's all on foot. My son walks fine, slow but fine, will I need a buggy? I still use it occasionally for longer days/rushes.

We've got a gold apartment booked and it's during toddler week - I know you have to book activities but I don't know where to even begin??

Also, I have chosen self catering, how much of a pain in the arse will this be for the week? and is there a creche/play area type things where you can drop the kid off for an hour? I'm dubious over what I've been told..I won't be doing anything special or drinking, I just might need a breather in case I feel like launching a difficult toddler into the sea.

To be be honest I'm dreading the whole thing..I would cancel it but I'm not being out of pocket for so much to sit at home all week off.

Saladd0dger Thu 25-Aug-16 14:27:13

Hey, I went to Butlins minehead 4 years ago as a single parent (5+1)
I can't help with the rest but there is a morrisons and McDonald's literally a 5 minute walk from the main gates, saved us so much money as it was expensive to eat on site every meal X

MotherOfGlob Thu 25-Aug-16 14:31:22

I would say contact Butlins direct, they should be able to tell you about the facilities.

I would take the buggy. And self catering will be pretty much the same as cooking when you're at home, although you might choose to have a few meals out.

I'm sure you'll have a great time smile

mrsgendry Thu 25-Aug-16 14:32:23

Thanks! I think morrisons will be helpful although I'm hoping his dad will at least put some money towards our son still as the plan was for him to pay re.food. Is the beach/seaside on site or is it close enough to be walking to?

Saladd0dger Thu 25-Aug-16 14:34:43

It's right outside the main gates, I'd take the pushchair it was a bit busy especially the evening entertainment X

TheABC Thu 25-Aug-16 14:48:33

The beach is opposite Butlins! Once you are there, everything is walkable, although I would use a taxi if you are doing a big Morrisons shop. You get a schedule when you arrive with something going on literally every hour. Plus the free swimming pool, fairground and play park.

You will have a fab time.

SharonfromEON Thu 25-Aug-16 14:54:08

I did a different Butlins on my own this year though my DS is older..It was great.. We only were there for the weekend but we had a great time..You will get a list of activities and see what you want to do..Sign up for what you want..
The pushchair may well be useful for evening entertainment if he will sleep in it..I have seen many kids asleep in pushchair...

We didn't go self catering..But bought snacks for the room and ate out..

Enjoy

UntilTheCowsComeHome Thu 25-Aug-16 14:55:53

The gold apartments are usually close to the Skyline (where everything goes on)

If you'd like a buggy but don't want to take it on the coach you can hire them from the hire shop on site if I remember rightly.

There's a little land train that you can get from Butlins that takes you into Minehead town, it drops off by the steam railway which is a good trip for kids. (If you have tesco Clubcard vouchers you can exchange them for tickets)

You'll have a great time op, we've been to Butlins Minehead every year since Ds1 was 4 and he's 15 now. It's such a great holiday for kids and the beach is fab.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Thu 25-Aug-16 23:38:51

Self catering will be fine. As pp said there's a Morrisons (including a cafe) and a Tesco right across the road. There's a couple of Spars on site but they are pricey, fine for your basics though.

Obviously there's loads of places to eat on site, they're all pretty expensive but Pizza Hut does do the buffet deal.

user1472122946 Fri 26-Aug-16 08:13:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mrsgendry Fri 26-Aug-16 12:15:51

Not sure why my message got deleted - it only said thank you! Didn't fancy lugging my buggy from the midlands but I'd rather do that than hire one there. Anxiety has somewhat calmed, once we're there it'll be fine I'm just working myself up over the thought of having to be the only responsible adult

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now