Week in Lake District with baby? Recommendations please.

(14 Posts)
Morry1 Tue 23-Aug-16 22:19:35

DP has booked week off work from 12th September and fancies Lake District for our first family holiday. I would prefer to go further afield but agree that don't want to take DS(6 months) and all his kit on a plane so since staying closer to home want to make sure we choose somewhere suitable for holidaying with a baby/make sure we have great time. Have only been to Lake Windermere for day before so would love to hear from people what things there are to do/places to visit that are baby friendly. We love walking but looking to hear of other attractions in the area too. Also any recommendations for accommodation would be appreciated too. TIA

baileyswalk Tue 23-Aug-16 22:43:32

We took our baby last summer when she was about 5 months and had a great time. We stayed at the Derwent Manor Apartments, which were really reasonably priced and a great location. We decided to stay a bit longer and stayed a couple of nights at the Castle Inn at Bassenthwaite. Nice, modern hotel with a pool.

We did a couple of not too steep walks with DD in her sling, one was the Cat bells with views over Derwentwater, another to Aira Force waterfall (can park quite close). Whinlatter forest Park was also beautiful.

The baby loved the world of Beatrix Potter in Bowness. It is lots of scenes from the books made up with models of the animals etc. Would really recommend it,

Hope you have a great time.

Heavenscent86 Wed 24-Aug-16 07:43:50

Just going to bump this for you as I'm interested in this myself.

Morry1 Wed 24-Aug-16 10:09:10

Thanks for that baileyswalk. Like the idea of mix of self catering and a hotel. Might work better for us as going sun-sun and most caravan parks/lodges are mon-mon.

welshweasel Wed 24-Aug-16 10:11:58

No recommendations for the lakes but don't dismiss going abroad! I've done the lakes in September and it's pretty miserable if it rains all week (you might be lucky but it is the UK). Flying with an immobile baby is dead easy and would be cheap as schools are back.

Wetoopere Wed 24-Aug-16 10:12:05

There's a FB page for walks with small children in the Lakes. Might be something useful there

NEmum Wed 24-Aug-16 10:13:32

We go to the Lakes regularly & always stay on Langdale estate - it's a fantastic mix of lodges, hotel & apartments. Also near to 2 very good pubs & great access to walks for all abilities.

We are having our first baby in December & this will be our first holiday as its so accessible and comfortable x

Ferguson Sun 28-Aug-16 20:33:34

We used to stay at Rannerdale Farm, on Crummock Water, looking across to Melbreak.

Obviously a very young child won't really know or care where he is. But, with help, maybe he could paddle his feet in streams, or the lake! The NW corner of Lakeland is the quietest part; Keswick is the nearest town, and Cockermouth is to the west. The farm hires out rowing boats (with life jackets).

melbreakcommunities.wordpress.com/services/commercial/accommodation-self-catering/

www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/lgaz/lk14488.htm

lljkk Sun 28-Aug-16 20:54:51

That's a great age to stick baby in a backpack & get walking.
What kind of walks do you like, how far would you go without baby?
People were heading up Scafell Pike with babes in arms last week.

Vis. info centre said that if wind is prevailing from west that the weather tends to be calmer & sunnier from noon/afternoon time.

Morry1 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:01:20

Thank you all for your very helpful replies.

Morry1 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:06:05

Will check out the Fb page and plan some walks. We like all kinds of walking -country, forest, hill walking and partner is happy to have baby in sling, and baby loves being carried smile. We're all booked now, so looking forward to using all these suggestions to have a great holiday, cheers!

Spudlet Sun 28-Aug-16 21:06:15

We're there soon with our 8 month old, can't wait! We're hoping to do some walks, the old corpse road from Ambleside is a good one as it's low level and relatively sheltered. Weather permitting, we might do something like Loughrigg Fell, maybe Catbells although last time we did that it was blowing a gale a different had to get to the top on my bum! blush

Have fun smile

Fitzsimmons Sun 28-Aug-16 21:08:33

Hi, I live in the lakes. Google Lake District Miles Without Stiles for buggy friendly walks. My favourites include White Moss between Rydal and Grasmere. Keswick has some lovely shops and a market on Saturdays. Agree ref Beatrix Potter world in Windermere, it's great for little ones. Also the Lake District Wildlife Park near Bassenthwaite is another good one. Any questions feel free to ask.

Morry1 Mon 12-Sep-16 22:03:00

Thank you very much, that's really helpful. We're here now, beautiful place, even in the rain today! Definitely going to go to Keswick and Beatrix Potter World. That website sounds great too. So much to see and do and only here for a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now