A weekend in Warwick

(9 Posts)
CobOnTheCorn Sun 14-Aug-16 10:30:59

DS (9) and I are going to Warwick next weekend, we're going to visit the castle but still need to book accommodation and plan some other things to do.

Originally I thought we could stay somewhere very central and walk everywhere as I'd like to avoid the car park at the castle but DS really likes hotel breakfasts so I thought maybe the local Premier Inn might be an option.

Anyone else done something similar? Or have any alternative recommendations?

Also, we'd like to go out for a curry one evening and maybe a traditional pub meal another evening - ideas welcome.

GoogleMonkey Sun 14-Aug-16 10:36:29

For curry I like castle balti on St Johns - or warwick spice on smith street. Or, in Leamington you could try Kayal on Regents St for Keralan style curry.

The rose and crown in the market square was good last time i went.

CobOnTheCorn Sun 14-Aug-16 10:51:34

Thanks Monkey, I love Keralan curry and Leamington so we might venture out of Warwick.

I grew up in the Midlands but I'm now out of touch of where is good to go.

CobOnTheCorn Mon 15-Aug-16 09:31:41

How about recommendations for the best ice cream or somewhere to have nice cake or afternoon tea?

DoubleMum Sun 21-Aug-16 09:57:01

It may be too late for you but for afternoon tea I would go into Stratford upon Avon, there are loads of places but the Rooftop Restaurant at the theatre and the Four Teas are good for cream teas. Hoorays is good for icecream. Warwick itself is small so not much choice.

CobOnTheCorn Sun 21-Aug-16 15:16:38

Thanks very much DoubleMum. We're going next weekend so not too late.

BertieBotts Sun 21-Aug-16 15:25:46

Yes to Stratford.

If you want a premier inn type place, there is a Holiday Inn Express just off the roundabout between Warwick and Stratford so you could split your trip. It's not really walkable to the town centre though.

There are lots of hotels in the centre of Warwick which will do breakfasts or you could stay in Leamington Spa which is also nearby, a bit bigger, more "chain" hotels in the centre and has interesting Victorian gardens to see and the old spa rooms. You could then do a day trip into Warwick or Stratford. Leamington has a great curry belt South of the river. You could do afternoon tea in Jephson Gardens.

Lastminute.com or booking.com might have good deals for hotels with breakfasts.

The bus services between Warwick, Leamington and Stratford are good if you want to avoid parking. Probably more pricey than a town parking ticket, though.

BertieBotts Sun 21-Aug-16 15:26:59

I haven't been for a while, but the meals at the Punch Bowl used to be great and the Punch Bowl itself is a really old pub, very nice.

CobOnTheCorn Sun 21-Aug-16 18:21:40

Thanks Bertie I've found some quaint looking B&Bs in Warwick that I'm going to try and book, some of them have parking so we can base ourselves there for the trip to the castle. If we run out of things to do we'll head to elsewhere (I have fond memories Leamo)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now