How good would you expect a £165 hotel to be?

(13 Posts)
OpenMe Thu 11-Aug-16 15:27:24

£165 per room per night - breakfast extra

I didn't pay for it myself and am not accustomed to staying in posh places so maybe I was expecting too much, but I was just a bit disappointed. It wasn't awful, perfectly nice in fact but that was it, there was nothing special about it.

I couldn't really see what we got over a standard Premier Inn type room. Slightly fancier building and lounge/bar, room was bigger but decor very similar. Service polite and friendly as you'd expect anywhere but nothing that went the extra mile IMO. Very small fitness suite and a little games room, no pool.

So, is £165 for a hotel room not as much as I thought it was, was I wrong to expect a bit more luxury?

HairsprayQueen Thu 11-Aug-16 15:34:04

It would depend on location really

Queenbean Thu 11-Aug-16 15:35:00

Where was it?

Central London = cheap premier inn

India = 5 star hotel

pitterpatterrain Thu 11-Aug-16 15:38:20

I wouldn't necessarily expect that much tbh depending on where it is

I think there is a bit of a rough lump of hotels where you often feel let down particularly if they are somewhat on the old or shabby side - between premier inn which is often fab value and very very pricey places

sparkleglitterdaisy Thu 11-Aug-16 15:38:49

For that price pretty basic . I wouldn't expect too much .

toopeoply Thu 11-Aug-16 15:40:12

These days you don't get much for that. Sadly.

OpenMe Thu 11-Aug-16 15:43:12

Oh yes of course, the location is just a bit relevant!

Countryside in middle England, not particularity busy tourist spot but pleasant. No big attractions nearby but lovely countryside.

Skiver123 Thu 11-Aug-16 15:45:43

That's quite cheap. The hotel down the road is equivalent to 2000 pounds a nightshock.

Shockers Thu 11-Aug-16 15:45:47

You can get deals on fairly nice hotels (and pretty basic ones can hike up their prices at busy times) for that price.

It all depends where it is and when (and how) you booked it.

Queenbean Thu 11-Aug-16 15:46:42

Skiver "the equivalent" - is it a pay per hour hotel then?!

Skiver123 Thu 11-Aug-16 15:48:33

No 😂 Queen, different currency 😄

Skiver123 Thu 11-Aug-16 15:51:04

But it's so nice. Did a conference there last week and you feel like Queen Sheba 🤑 I want to take my DP there for afternoon tea. If you can afford to stay there then it's so worth it.

oldlaundbooth Thu 11-Aug-16 15:54:34

I'd expect something pretty nice TBH. Not necessarily a pool if it was a city, but you say its the country, so yes, a nice pool.

Good coffee machine in the room, really nice thick towels, dressing gown, luxury toiletries, great sheets, nice thick woolen throw on the bed. Big room for sure. Everything pretty new, bathroom etc up to scratch.

We recently had the choice to stop in a Best Western for 65 quid a night bed and breakfast (two people) or a 'boutique' hotel for 200 quid a night, but with a pool. For 135 pounds I'll skip the pool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now