Swimming in the sea off Northumerland - what kit?

(20 Posts)
RiverTam Mon 25-Jul-16 21:57:40

We're going to Northumberland at the beginning of August and DD (6) will absolutely want to go in the sea. We've got her a cold water wetsuit but struggling to get something for DH (obviously I won't be going in the sea grin). He's tried on wetsuits in Decathlon, both warm and cold water ones, but found them really uncomfortable, especially around the neck. I assume they're meant to be pretty tight fitting? He tried on a triathlon wetsuit which was better but is that going to be OK in the North Sea? He's not going to be actually swimming much, just messing about with DD.

Has anyone got any tips? He works in London so can get to shops to try stuff on.

Thanks so much - we're going on Saturday eeeeek.

Blu Mon 25-Jul-16 22:09:37

Swimming shorts?
And if he gets a bit chilly paddling in the shallows with Dd he can put his hoodie on.

It is the UK, in August, after a warm spell. The North Sea is not as cold, IME, in the summer, as the Atlantic in Devon and Cornwall.

I was swimming in the North Sea last week, it was fine.

RiverTam Mon 25-Jul-16 22:18:39

That's good to hear, I really thought it would be much colder, no gulf steam warming up the sea. And it's not been that warm up there, and is going to be around 17 or 18 next week.

GlowWine Mon 25-Jul-16 22:19:05

The North sea off Northumberland is the same as off Norfolk (nearly: www.thebeachguide.co.uk/sea )The air temp may be a few degrees lower... But none of this stopped the whole of my family from going swimming there two years ago - you may recall that it was a pretty crap summer 😕 and we just own average swimming gear as also worn to the local pool.

GlowWine Mon 25-Jul-16 22:20:41

Sorry trying the correct link again:
www.thebeachguide.co.uk/sea-temperature

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 25-Jul-16 22:21:13

Realistically will he be swimming or paddling?

gaggiagirl Mon 25-Jul-16 22:22:46

My 5yo DD was splashing about in the sea at druridge bay yesterday in her shorts and t shirt the water was really pleasant.

RiverTam Mon 25-Jul-16 22:24:50

He usually takes DD out quite far, so he'll be up to his neck probably. And he may go for a swim by himself as well.

I saw that website, Glow, trouble is I'm not sure exactly where we'll be, we're staying quite far north so I think in the 13-14 degree bit? Which according to the wetsuit up guides in Decathlon counted as cold water.

NobodyInParticular Mon 25-Jul-16 22:30:48

If it's 13-14 degrees water temp then def a wetsuit! Yes, they're meant to be tight fitting, but the more expensive makes have more stretch and are generally very comfortable. Also, in terms of thickness a good quality one, even if it's thinner, will be warmer than a poor quality thin one. Look for things such as taped seams etc.

You should be able to get something good for £120ish, then sell it again for half that price or more on EBay afterwards!

Hepzibar Mon 25-Jul-16 22:32:30

That grease they put on to swim the channel. It's fucking freezing.

NobodyInParticular Mon 25-Jul-16 22:33:16

^ I'd go for a 5/3 thickenss, ie mix of 5mm and 3mm thick. It's a standard thickness and won't cost a fortune. Plus I'd also get a £30 pair of boots, which make a lot of difference..... You could go for a thicker wetsuit like a 6/4, but it might cost you quite a bit??

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Mon 25-Jul-16 22:35:48

My DH went into the sea at Embleton Bay, up to his neck wearing trousers and tee shirt, when the Bloody Dog decided it couldn't be arsed to retrieve its toy. He said it wasn't cold (this was a couple of weeks ago) but he is one of those weirdos who never gets cold.

RiverTam Mon 25-Jul-16 22:35:56

nearest beach is Bamburgh, if that helps?

RiverTam Mon 25-Jul-16 22:37:57

He doesn't mind spending a reasonable amount, he just wants one that's comfortable and doesn't feel like it's strangling him!

Looks like we're quite a bit north of Embleton.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Mon 25-Jul-16 22:38:23

I should add that I pretended very hard that I wasn't with the strange fully-clothed man retrieving dog toys from the sea. People were looking at him oddly.

RiverTam Mon 25-Jul-16 22:38:34

Thanks Nobody, we got some boots today.

RiverTam Mon 25-Jul-16 22:38:47

grin

LifeIsGoodish Mon 25-Jul-16 23:50:31

Has he tried the wetsuits that zip up the front? Dh also could not tolerate the back-zipped wetsuits in Decathlon, said he felt strangled in them, but the front-zipped one was more comfortable.

RiverTam Tue 26-Jul-16 07:31:17

Was that one if the sailing ones? I think they were front zipped but we weren't sure if they were ok for properly being in the water.

LifeIsGoodish Tue 26-Jul-16 12:59:39

We've got the cheapest, thinnest Decathlon shorties. 2mm thick IIRC @ ~£15 each. They probably wouldn't do for a day's windsurfing in the North Sea, but they're perfect for playing in and out of the water. We've used them in outdoor pools on sunless, drizzly, breezy days, in the Solent in May/June, and will be swimming in them in the Lake District in a couple of weeks. The longest we've stayed in the water in them was about 1hr, and could have gone back in after lunch had we had the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now