Anyone been camping in Guernsey?

(7 Posts)
ZestClaire Mon 11-Jul-16 12:42:17

We're off on our summer holiday so need some tips on the best family friendly places to visit in Guernsey please (with 9 and 6 year olds)?
Where are the best beaches for playing in the sea?
What is there to do when it rains (not that it will of course!)?
Thank you! :-)

pennybun Mon 18-Jul-16 20:56:45

Never been camping there but been many times. The sea shore on the western coast is magical - straight out to the atlantic but big wide shallow and very tidal bays. Castles and things to walk out to.

Camp sites supposedly very good indeed . Lots of kiosks by the beach - all independent selling tea/ice cream/sandwiches whatever.

The draw back is what to do if it's wet as there are not many indoor attractions. Lots to do outside though

ZestClaire Mon 18-Jul-16 21:12:29

That's good to know, pennybun, thanks.
Any particular places you'd recommend?

Cedar03 Fri 22-Jul-16 11:54:35

We've been to Guernsey a couple of times on holiday. It has loads of lovely beaches. Vazon bay is beautiful with big sandy beach, rock pools at low tide and handy cafe for snacks/ice creams.

Last time we had a few rainy days and visited the Castle Cornet in St Peter Port which has several different museums and you can easily spend a full day there. Also the Museum/art gallery in St Peter Port has different interesting exhibitions in it and a good playroom area for young children - spent quite a while in there with my then 8 year old.

There are a couple of different German Occupation type museums as well.
And a Shipwreck museum which - I think - is in an old lighthouse.
There's also a museum of Guernsey life (or something like that) which is worth a visit.
Look on the Visit Guernsey website for ideas.
Nowhere in Guernsey is very far away as it's a small island.

ZestClaire Fri 22-Jul-16 17:40:12

Fantastic Cedar 03 - thank you very much for the top tips! smile

somersetsinger Fri 22-Jul-16 21:49:12

I've camped on Guernsey - it was a great holiday! I'd second visiting Castle Cornet as a rainy day activity.

I loved Shell Beach on Herm, if you fancy a day trip to an even smaller island. Be warned that the sea feels very cold compared to mainland UK!

ZestClaire Sat 23-Jul-16 13:40:43

Thanks somersetsinger. Really looking forward to it now! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now