Butlins Bognor Regis - first timer!

(12 Posts)
MazzleDazzle Sat 09-Jul-16 12:39:17

Never been there before. Booked for a week in Aug. Staying in one of the new Seaside Apartments with a dining plan.

Any tips? Slightly apprehensive as we've never done this type of holiday before. DD keen to go as Diversity are there this summer.

Is it worth getting B-line passes?

Is there anything worth seeing outwith the resort?

TIA

MazzleDazzle Sun 10-Jul-16 11:38:21

Anyone?

crappymummy Sun 10-Jul-16 11:42:17

We went when the kids were smaller -3 and 5 and they loved it. We found the resort clean, staff helpful and just generally a great holiday. We did self catering though, as it was more convenient for us.

Bognor town didn't seem all that exciting, but we went during a half term and the weather was dire, so we stayed on site for 99% of the time, only leaving to top up on groceries. We did go to an open air industrial revolution museum, which was fantastic. I will see if I can remember what it was called.

Hopefully someone with older children will be along soon to add more detail.

crappymummy Sun 10-Jul-16 11:44:43

amberley museum it was fantastic

PartiallyStars Sun 10-Jul-16 11:46:12

We went two years ago when the kids were six and four. I was a bit worried because of some MN threads but the kids had a lovely time and still talk about it. I used the spa - I was the only one in there and had a relaxing time. We went to Arundel for a day, which is absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't that impressed by the beach at Bognor, and I did think the swimming pool at Butlins was a bit grubby but the chalet was fine.

Savagebeauty Sun 10-Jul-16 11:51:52

Chichester is lovely.
There is bugger all in Bognor.

MazzleDazzle Mon 11-Jul-16 00:39:35

Thank you for your replies. It seems like Bognor itself has nothing to offer!

My kids are 8, 5 & a newborn. The seem like a good age for this sort of holiday. We are staying on self-careening, but have the dining package, so we'll hopefully get the best of both worlds!

We are flying down from Scotland, so won't have a car, though the train seems like a viable option to get around. I'm definitely keen to leave the resort.

musicposy Tue 12-Jul-16 23:40:15

I live in Chichester and can vouch for going there, though lots of what I would usually recommend (the cathedral, the pallant house art gallery) will bore your age children! Worth going, though, even if for the pretty market cross in the centre of town. Priory park, just off of North street, is spacious enough for a run around if they get bored and has a nice children's play area with things to suit the toddlers and older ones.

If you want stunning views, head for Goodwood and the top of the trundle where you can see the whole of Sussex and beyond spread out beneath you.

If you want a family day out away from Butlins, mine always enjoyed the Weald and Downland open air museum. At the age of your oldest mine were fascinated by the reconstructed old houses there and how people used to live, and it's not stuffy or stuck up at all - you can explore to your heart's content and there's loads of run around space to stop your 5 year old getting bored. They usually do activity days once a week in the summer holidays.
The Fishbourne Roman Palace would probably appeal to you eldest too - often in the summer they also have days where people dress as soldiers or eat Roman food, or have battles.

Bognor is a shite hole. If you walk west along towards Felpham, that's much nicer and a prettier place with some attractive beach cafes. Littlehampton, a bit further still, has a promenade train and much more in the way of play parks, activities, and beach shops to appeal to your age children.

I can't tell you much about inside Butlins, but for outside, feel free to ask!

musicposy Tue 12-Jul-16 23:42:23

Sorry, east to Felpham, not west! We always go down from Chichester (DH's parents live there) so I tend to view it on a map upside down in my mind!

musicposy Tue 12-Jul-16 23:53:04

For going from Bognor, I'd get the 700 coastliner bus for anywhere nearby rather than train. This will take you to Pagham, Littlehampton, Chichester, and the very pretty Arundel all pretty easily. You can buy a day mega rider quite cheap. The 60 will also take you to Chichester easily and beyond, as far as Midhurst (Weald and Downland on the route)

Bognor is on a train line spur so all trains go to Barnham first and you do often have to change there and hang around (though Arundel is usually direct and the train will get you to Amberley better than the bus). Usually it's not too much problem but the train company Southern are in a dispute with drivers/conductors at the moment and so the service is currently a bit shit, to say the least. It's all over our local news!

bitingcat Wed 13-Jul-16 00:04:20

Hotham park, right next to Butlins is great and well worth a visit. It has a miniature train, play park, mini golf and a super cafe.

PartiallyStars Wed 13-Jul-16 08:56:48

Oh yes, I forgot about the park, the kids loved the train

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now