London business trip

(21 Posts)
Cracker09jacker Wed 06-Jul-16 12:50:49

Hi all, I've a trip to London in the next couple of weeks and while my employer has been very accommodating and organised everything I'm booked into a hotel a minimum of 45 mins away from the office. I don't know London at all so tube stations etc are completely unknown to me. I'm getting quite stressed about it all as I've to cram a lot into a couple of days and don't want huge cramped commutes either end of those days.
How easy is it to find my way around and is there a guide or something I can get to help?
Thank you in advance

hurtyboobs Wed 06-Jul-16 12:57:39

Piece of piss

Lots of people like journey planner (google it)
I like google maps.

Just use them like you would a normal map

Signage in tube stations is great

You'll be fine!

willconcern Wed 06-Jul-16 12:57:42

Get a tube map. And Google maps on your phone.

cestlavielife Wed 06-Jul-16 14:08:51

change the hotel booking find one closer to the office - where is the hotel?

if it is in a nice part of london great -commute to the office it is easy
if the hotel is in a dire part of london on an industrial estate then tell them to change the booking

Cracker09jacker Wed 06-Jul-16 18:37:22

Hotel is in a nice part of London, they've given me direction but it's inevitable I'll get lost. All hotels close by the business are fully booked.
I've installed Google maps and hopefully I won't get the walking system wrong and get battered by morning commuters

originalmavis Wed 06-Jul-16 18:43:24

c'mon on then - hotel location and office location. We will sort you out..

Lules Wed 06-Jul-16 18:46:58

Download citymapper. I can get impressively lost even in places I know so this saves me all the time

FeckinCrutches Wed 06-Jul-16 18:51:09

Download a tube map app. I think your employer may be fibbing about hotels close by being fully booked! 45 mins is quite a way from your office.

Babymamamama Wed 06-Jul-16 18:55:36

Tfl journey planner? Or ask on here? Lots of helpful London mumsnetters around I'm sure! Hope you enjoy your visit.

Chelsea26 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:00:09

Another vote for citymapper - it does the bus/tube route and the walk at the other end so is all you need really.

Chelsea26 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:01:43

Oh and stand on the right and have your ticket ready by the time you get off the escalotor grin

Chelsea26 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:04:25

*Escalator

HarrietVane99 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:07:31

Yes, we need to know location of hotel and office to advise properly; Tube may not be the best option.

I agree the tfl journey planner is useful. Also,

The nearest Tube station might not be the most convenient; there might be another station a short walk away which avoids changing, for example.

Identify which Tube line you want and direction of travel before starting out, so that at the station you know that you want , for example, Northern Line southbound.

As pp said, signage on the Tube is good; look ahead as you're on the way down the escalator for a sign showing which way you need to go.

Have your ticket ready as you approach the barrier.
Don't step off an escalator and come to a dead stop; if you're not sure where you need to go, move to the side while you work it out.
Stand on the right on the escalator.

Hope you have a good trip.

PartyCityGhoul Wed 06-Jul-16 19:10:06

Another vote for city mapper, it's a necessary part of London life imo!! Also is hooked up to the train services etc so tells you if there are delays and suggests alternatives. Better than tfl which is pretty crappy for anything other than tube line closures! Also tells you which end of the tube to stand at to be closer to the exit which is very helpful.

All you need to know on the trains is stand on the right, have your ticket ready, don't dawdle, don't stop dead at the top of escalators and move down the train! Have fun smile

blueskyinmarch Wed 06-Jul-16 19:11:15

Another thumbs up for Citymapper. It is excellent.

SkyLucy Wed 06-Jul-16 19:14:03

*Battered by morning commuters
Ha, we're not that bad, promise! Do follow the others' advice about tube/ticket etiquette though.

If you'd like to share the areas your hotel and office are in you'll get lots of advice on best routes. How do you know it's 45mins away?? That does seem cruelly long and kind of negates the purpose of getting London accommodation!

NotCitrus Wed 06-Jul-16 19:15:55

Get Citymapper and look up the journey now.
Keep valuables in inside pockets or securely fastened, and watch your bag everywhere, but apart from that it'll be fine - Londoners are remarkably helpful when asked!

HandsomeGroomGiveHerRoom Wed 06-Jul-16 20:03:52

Citymapper is fantastic. Agree with others though, we need to know where you are staying and working.

OliviaStabler Wed 06-Jul-16 20:10:14

Give us as much info as possible and we'll help you

MangoIsTheNewApple Wed 06-Jul-16 20:13:21

Citymapper is great.

Also worth commuting outside peak rush hour if you can.

You can use a contactless card to pay for tubes / buses / trams so if you have one of those it's easy. If not, you will need to buy yourself an Oyster card and load it up with some cash.

Londoners are pretty helpful. As long as you don't stop at the top of the escalators.

mrsmortis Thu 07-Jul-16 09:30:18

This is really useful too:

content.tfl.gov.uk/walking-tube-map.pdf

Tells you if it's likely to be quicker to walk between tube stations than get on the tube.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now