Camping in the Lake District

(8 Posts)
IslaSinga Mon 30-May-16 12:32:50

We are planning to spend some time in the Lake District / Cumbria area over the summer and beginning to think camping could be an option shock. We are beginner campers and need somewhere with good facilities and things to do for young children to teens.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

IslaSinga Mon 30-May-16 14:02:06

Bump

Ferguson Tue 31-May-16 20:24:48

Does it have to be actual 'tent' camping? There are 'camping barns' - used to be some at Buttermere, and probably other places.

The North West area is probably the quietest - Keswick has town museum, and Pencil Museum. Beatrix Potter painted pictures of Derwentwater (near Keswick) and it was where Squirrel Nutkin sailed his raft, and 'Littletown' where Lucie saw Mrs Tiggywinkle.

Derwentwater has regular launch trips; Rannerdale Farm, on Crummock Water has rowing boats for hire:

www.visitcumbria.com/cm/crummock-water/

(We used to stay in the white farm cottage, in the first picture.)

The Ravenglass Eskdale railway is super:

ravenglass-railway.co.uk/

[I'll try and find more current information if you are interested.]

IslaSinga Tue 31-May-16 23:43:23

Thank you so much! I will take a look at all of those. To be honest, the more I have thought about camping, the more it fills me with dread, although I will give it a go...! I'll take a look at the cottages and anything else you can suggest! Thank you.

Ferguson Wed 01-Jun-16 20:05:34

Yes, I think self catering cottage a safer bet - as Lake District is BOUND to rain some of the time, and at least in a cottage you can get dry and warm.

www.sallyscottages.co.uk/

www.lakelandcampingbarns.co.uk/welcome-lakeland-camping-barns-0

melbreakcommunities.wordpress.com/services/commercial/accommodation-self-catering/

www.crummockwatercottages.co.uk/

IslaSinga Thu 02-Jun-16 00:00:08

Thank you so much for these. Will have a look now.

Dowser Fri 03-Jun-16 15:50:42

If you stay outside the actual park it tends to be cheaper .

Here's a site that offers static vans for hire. Pooley bridge is very nice. We were there yesterday.

InternationalHouseofToast Fri 03-Jun-16 15:57:44

We are staying here soon for a family wedding. They have a children's playground and you can either camp or hire a camping pod or static van.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now