Recommend me somewhere in the UK to go

(25 Posts)
MegBusset Tue 24-May-16 22:28:27

Thinking about next year's holidays already! Looking for recommendations for an area where we haven't been before. Here's where we have been to:

Lake District
Cornwall
New Forest
Snowdonia
Northumberland (well we're going this year)

We live in Norfolk so not looking for East Anglia or the southeast. Here's what we like:

Countryside, not cities
Lots and lots of child-friendly walks
National Trust places nearby
Couple of places to go if it rains
Beaches nice but not essential

I was thinking possibly of Yorkshire (it's a big place though so don't know where to start), maybe Scotland (long drive though and is it all midgey in summer?), or somewhere in the West Country. Ideas for specific areas welcome, or self-catering accommodation (naice caravan site or cottage) even better smile

ProseccoPoppy Tue 24-May-16 22:39:31

This place in Devon is cool - www.widmouthfarmcottages.com and has its own little private beach, is near an aquarium and a wildlife/dinosaur park, and is on the coast path, and you can feed animals on the farm. Although it is Landmark trust rather than national trust you could also visit Lundy island.

Or the Wye Valley is beautiful - a friend booked a really naice cottage, not sure which one but this site - www.wyevalleyholidaycottages.co.uk

CodyKing Tue 24-May-16 22:40:36

Isle of Man - get the boat or fly from Liverpool

Northernlurker Tue 24-May-16 22:42:15

North Yorkshire moors - Pickering or Whitby?

5Foot5 Tue 24-May-16 22:49:43

Peak District should tick most of your boxes.

Countryside definitely. It is a beautiful area and was the first National Park.

Walks to suit all ages and abilities. Dove Dale, Lathkill Dale. Mondale Dale and Monsal Trail. I could go on.

NT properties for sure - Lyme Park, Longshaw Estate. But although its not N T if you go there you must visit Chatsworth. It has plenty for children and is definitely worth a visit. As is Haddon.

Beaches not so sure

thiswayplease Tue 24-May-16 22:51:16

Dumfries and Galloway, voted Countryfile's holiday destination 2016.

So much to see and do. Beaches, hills, family attractions, mountain biking, dark sky park, wildlife, great food etc.

Kirkcudbright would an ideal base or Brighouse Bay caravan park

frillyfairylights Tue 24-May-16 22:52:06

Pembrokeshire, Wales. Miles and miles of beautiful beaches, unspoiled countryside, the friendliest locals and lots of lovely cake!

I love Tenby so I'd recommend looking around there (though not staying in tenby itself as it gets busy in summer) but there's masses of great caravan sites around, St David's is also beautiful. When it rained we went to folly farm but also to the beach in our wet weather gear which was so fun. Our apartment had a swimming pool so we used that a lot too (Bryn y mor, in tenby but we like being close to the shops/restaurants and beaches in tenby).

There's another little cluster of cottages in St Florence, about 3 miles outside tenby, with a swimming pool and the cottages are self catering. It's also just up the road from heatherton country sports park which is amazing for children, a zoo, the great wedlock dinosaur experience and something else I've forgotten!

I know there are some national trust places (stackpole?) but not sure how many smile

MegBusset Tue 24-May-16 23:04:39

Oh these all look brilliant, thanks flowers

So many fab places to go in the UK!

Avebury Wed 25-May-16 20:39:04

Isle of Wight?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 25-May-16 20:43:57

Ripon area?

You can head into the yorkshire dales/wensleydale one direction or over to the north york moors the other way.

Lots of walking.
Forbidden corner at Leyburn.
Fountains abbey
Castle Bolton
Bolton abbey

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 25-May-16 20:44:56

frilly. Those cottages you're talking about at St Florence....I used to live there 20 years ago!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 25-May-16 20:45:20

Not just in the village, at the actual farm.

MashesToPashes Wed 25-May-16 20:52:16

I'm with thiswayplease Dumfries and Galloway is wonderful. Loads of castles, abbeys, gorgeous beaches, forest walks and so on.

Last time we went The bellymack Kite feeding station was new to us and we loved it.

But our enduring favorite is the Raider's Road forest drive. We love the Otter Pool, great for paddling.

Joskar Wed 25-May-16 20:57:26

The Outer Hebrides. Lewis and Harris are the most fabulous places to go on the planet.

Dowser Sat 28-May-16 12:21:27

Spoilt for choice in this gorgeous country of ours.
I echo them all.

Thirsk area is lovely. Ripon, harrogate, York All less than one hour away
Scarborough, whitby a bit further..

Skip ton, grassing ton beautiful nidderdale all a bit further.

Brim ham rocks near rip on worth a visit. You can have a nice walk along to the white horse at kilburn and watch the gliders off Sutton bank. Nice visitor centre and cafe too.
Monks farm near thirsk.
The James Herriot museum In thirsk.
Nice Sunday carvery at the old red house opposite the station. Several fishing ponds in the area...the oaks has loads if you're into fishing.
Lovely child's play area in sowerby
Thirsk races?
Sunday boot fair on racecourse. I think it's still going
You could have two weeks and not repeat yourself.

TheTartOfAsgard Sat 28-May-16 12:35:48

Come to the Forest of Dean! Loads to do here! Puzzlewood, perrygrove railway, Taurus crafts, cannop ponds, beechenhurst.

www.forestholidays.co.uk/locations/heart-of-england-holidays/forest-of-dean-holidays

notonyurjellybellynelly Sat 28-May-16 12:41:02

I second the Tenby area.

I used to take my children to Folley Farm and now I take my grandchildren.

Also the Dinosaur Park in Great Wedlock. That name stills makes me laugh

All the places a previous poster mentioned including Oakwood Park which may be the place she's forgotten the name of. But be aware there isn't really much for wee ones to do there.

And all of that is just for starters.

Its an outstanding area for a family holiday.

Allalonenow Sat 28-May-16 12:43:48

Another vote for Pembrokeshire!

MegBusset Sat 28-May-16 12:48:39

Ah, thank you again. DC are 7 and 9 so we are a bit past the age of having to find places with soft play or petting zoos thank god, they are pretty happy with good walks and beaches, Forestry Commission type places and NT always a win.

notonyurjellybellynelly Sat 28-May-16 12:59:28

You would get all of that in the Pembrokeshire area and many of the attractions mentioned are set in forests and involve a good walk. The Dinosaur Park is a really enjoyable walk with a quiz to do going round. Its not about dinosaur rides though it does have other things to do also

The beaches last for miles and are well walked.

NT - yes.

There are also loads of places doing outward bound type of activities especially around the Brecon Beacons area.

Basically its a great area for all things outdoors as well as other things.

HALA Sat 28-May-16 16:07:45

There are beautiful places in Derbyshire, Pembrokeshire and Dorset.

facebookrecruit Sat 28-May-16 22:48:17

Come to the Yorkshire Dales smile

KayJBee Sat 28-May-16 22:52:12

Another vote for pembrokeshire, my favourite place to holiday in the UK. We day it's like Cornwall but without the crowds. Tenby, Pembroke castle, walk through the lily ponds at bosherston to broadhaven beach. Miles of beautiful beaches and never crowded.

fadingfast Sat 04-Jun-16 10:27:56

A late vote here for the Peaks. We love it so much we've had four family holidays there, staying in a village near Bakewell. Loads to do and not too far from Norfolk (where we also live). Kids love Heights of Abraham and Gulliver's Kingdom in Matlock. Tramway museum is good and we've explored several if the caves in and around Castleton. Haddon Hall is one of my favourite places in the world. Lots of glorious walks and fabulous cycle trails (we did the Monsal Head trail this year, hired bikes). I expect we'll be back again next year!

heron98 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:12:39

North York Moors? Loads of pretty villages, great walking, Dalby Forest for Go Ape/mountain biking, lovely coast, Whitby. Sweeping moors.

(Can you tell I live there?!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now