West Highland Way in August, with the dogs in tow

(14 Posts)
Afrodizziac Sun 01-May-16 14:26:44

Has anybody done this, and did you organise every aspect yourself, or did you use one of those Accommodation Packages places to put an itinerary together? We think the dogues, two mid-sized terrier-type things, will enjoy it (and the DDs, 10 & 11yo, too). Any suggestions very welcome!

AgentProvocateur Sun 01-May-16 14:31:12

Take midge repellant. 😉

Afrodizziac Sun 01-May-16 14:36:56

Poor DD2 is very attractive to all biting insects so that will be a big consideration! I'll start looking into industrial-strength repellant (or a full-body suit, like a bee-keeper's!).

NicknameUsed Sun 01-May-16 19:22:03

"Poor DD2 is very attractive to all biting insects"

I would seriously reconsider doing Scotland in August if that is the case. OH went to Scotland one August and the midges were so bad he just stayed in the car the whole time. Why not consider Hadrian's wall or Offa's Dyke instead?

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Sun 01-May-16 19:27:13

Do not underestimate the midgies. They will make you truly miserable.

Didiusfalco Sun 01-May-16 19:34:06

Agree with pp, thats not a good idea for August with dd2, could be miserable for her - maybe May time would be better? Love the area around Offas Dyke, that would be my pick, but appreciate it is quite different to what you are thinking of.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Sun 01-May-16 19:39:01

One of my friends just did it last week to avoid the midgies. People often think of them as a joke but they really are horrible. At a minimum you'd need a shed load of smidge and midgie nets to out on your head (not mosquito nets, the holes are too big and the midgies can get through them).

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 01-May-16 19:42:38

The midgies are not a joke, I am midgie-bait (and Scottish) and there is no way in hell I'd do the West Highland Way in August. I did a friend's 40th nr Loch Lomond once and I was fit to be tied - and that was only 24 hours!

could you do it in the autumn or this time next spring?

Earbudbitter Sun 01-May-16 19:44:29

Op I'm in Oban at the moment and there are a few midges out of an evening now. I was here last August and was bitten to death not pleasant, but I just got on with it. Not sure though if I'd put a child through it though. It is a real consideration.

Afrodizziac Sun 01-May-16 22:16:19

Thanks for all the replies. We'll rethink our plans.

Afrodizziac Sun 01-May-16 22:47:09

I probably need to post this in The Doghouse but has anyone taken dogs on a canal boat?

NicknameUsed Sun 01-May-16 22:48:45

My sister has several times. It wasn't a problem. Canals have loads of biting flies BTW.

Robertaquimby Tue 03-May-16 21:44:04

I walk bits of the West Highland Way all the time. Occasionally you might hit a midgey bit but mostly it is fine. I know loads of people who have done it and nobody has said midges were a problem. We have head nets but rarely use them.

Having said that I think your kids are too young. 14 minimum. I have seen a number of miserable looking younger kids being made to do it.

lavendersun Tue 03-May-16 21:48:42

We did the western highlands and islands in August last year and the weather was so cold for the time of year that we only wore our midge nets once on a very still day.

Not always midgey. Cool is good for walking, our 9 year old managed a few days of walking, nothing too excessive though - 2 miles, coffee, 2 miles, lunch, 2 miles coffee, 2 miles done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now