April Fool Joke - how would you feel?

(33 Posts)
Kittymouse Wed 06-Apr-16 17:32:35

My 22 year old nephew played an April Fools joke on me that I am still trying to get over.
I am paying him to do some odd jobs so he can save to travel. He was painting the front fence with my 11 year old son whilst I was working in the house. I didn't notice that they both had disappeared to the local shop to buy supplies for the joke.
The first thing I know is my nephew came bursting through the door yelling at me to ring an ambulance - that my son had come off his skateboard and there was so much blood. I picked up the phone and dialled 999 as I ran outside onto the road.
what I saw there was my worst nightmare. my son was lying motionless with an enormous pool of blood around his head. My heart stopped. I thought that much blood could pretty much only mean one thing. The ambulance man was asking for the address. I knelt down on the road and only then realised that the blood was about 3 bottles of tomato ketchup. ...
When I stopped feeling angry the shock kicked in and I am struggling to get the image out of my head. My son said that he had second thoughts but didn't want to back out and spoil the fun for my nephew. I just wondered how you other mums would have reacted and then I'll have to get over it for the sake of family relationships...

Muddlewitch Wed 06-Apr-16 17:34:40

I would be horrified to be honest, that is not a 'joke' it is a nasty trick. At 22 he really ought to know better.

TobleroneBoo Wed 06-Apr-16 17:39:36

I don't have kids but that is horrific. I would stop sending any money his way. Also, a waste of time for the 999 operator, lucky the ambulance wasn't on its way

Kittymouse Wed 06-Apr-16 17:41:57

Yes I had to explain all to the operator and hope they didn't get any other false alarms.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Wed 06-Apr-16 17:48:12

I wouldn't speak to my nephew for a good long while after that, even when I did it would only be after a huge apology and I would absolutely tell my son how it made me feel to see him lying there so he knew never to do it again.

That's an awful 'joke' to pull.

There isn't really a lot you can do in the grand scheme of things but I'd have to let the pair of them know it's totally unacceptable to do that to anyone.

UmbongoUnchained Wed 06-Apr-16 17:49:12

I would have knocked his fucking teeth out.
And I'd never speak to him again. That image would stay with me forever.

AlisonWunderland Wed 06-Apr-16 17:51:30

Jokes are meant to be funny.
That wasn't funny.

Groovee Wed 06-Apr-16 17:56:06

That's horrific OP. I would react like you too. I think your nephew needs to take responsibility.

Roseberrry Wed 06-Apr-16 17:59:59

I didn't read properly and assumed your nephew was a teenager, I was going to say it was stupid but a lot of teenagers don't think things through.
At 22 I'm pretty shocked he thought it would be funny! Is he immature generally? I'd give him a rollicking!

Branleuse Wed 06-Apr-16 18:02:38

jesus christ, what an awful thing to do.

PotteringAlong Wed 06-Apr-16 18:03:07

Nope, too far. Especially as 999 was involved. What did he think you'd do?!

zoelife111 Wed 06-Apr-16 18:04:03

That was a terrible thing to do. I would tell the nephew that I don't want to see or hear from him for the foreseeable future.

To be honest, this would not even be a choice or a decision. I simply would not be able to cope with seeing or hearing from him for a very long time.

LynetteScavo Wed 06-Apr-16 18:10:35

Who in their right mind would think that would be funny?

Telling you to call an ambulance is just so...thick. I certainly wouldn't be having him to my house or doing any jobs give me in the near future. I would be very, very cross.

SurroMummy13 Wed 06-Apr-16 18:11:45

That's disgraceful.

Personally I'd not allow him round X

SurroMummy13 Wed 06-Apr-16 18:12:38

I hope you get the image out of your head soon, even though you know what was now, you didn't at the time and that will stick with you for a long time.

HeadTilt Wed 06-Apr-16 18:15:14

That's awful. poor you, no wonder you are still upset.

Is your nephew usually an immature twat?

Balletgirlmum Wed 06-Apr-16 18:20:07

NOT FUNNY

I'd go ballistic at them both.

ILikeUranus Wed 06-Apr-16 18:21:05

Fucking hell! He's 22? I'd avoid him like the fucking plague from now on, and don't allow your ds around him either. What other stupid shit is he going to talk him into against your 11yr old's better judgement?!

MistressChalk Wed 06-Apr-16 18:28:22

Was your neighbour in on it or did he also think your son had an awful accident??

MistressChalk Wed 06-Apr-16 18:29:30

Urgh ignore me I'm making up words, been a long day. I hope your ok OP, this is a truly awful thing to do to someone thanks

Kittymouse Wed 06-Apr-16 18:54:29

The one and only good thing that has come out of this is that I've been able to have a good discussion with my son about thinking for himself and never going along with something that doesn't seem right even if someone older is suggesting it. I think it sank in. He'll never forget what he did and just maybe it will come back to him one day and he'll say no to something potentially life threatening ...,

FeelingSmurfy Wed 06-Apr-16 19:21:58

I would never want to see nephew again, he certainly wouldn't be getting any cash from me, including future birthdays/Christmas

Pigeonpost Wed 06-Apr-16 20:21:12

Holy shit. That's horrible. I would give him a VERY wide berth. No more odd jobs for money either, tell him to do one.

FishOn Wed 06-Apr-16 20:23:28

shock Your nephew's a fucking idiot

Kittymouse Wed 06-Apr-16 20:27:51

That's exactly what I called him at the time!!
Grrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now