11yo, mum, two grannies, UK outdoors/nature/activities

(8 Posts)
Bloodybridget Wed 23-Mar-16 13:04:00

DP and I are hoping to have a week in the summer holidays with her DD and our 11yo DGS. Boy would love other children to play with, and some outdoor activities - he has a lot of indoor and screen time so one aim is to encourage him to enjoy the natural world! I've looked at various holiday parks, but ideally we'd like something a bit wilder, and not absolutely cheek-by-jowl with hundreds more people. But DGS loves swimming so a pool would be good . . . Caravan, lodge, cottage all fine, within 200 miles of London preferably. Any suggestions gratefully received.

momb Wed 23-Mar-16 13:06:48

Canter Parcs.
You'll be with lots of others at the pool but otherwise you can be quite alone in the woods. Do you all cycle?

mummymeister Wed 23-Mar-16 13:17:22

you might struggle to find this in school summer holidays now so might have to widen your search a bit. we stay HERE its in south east cornwall near Looe about two hours from Bristol. it has a pool and lots of outdoorsy things to do. if not have a look at some of the lastminute websites like lastminute-cottages. do you have a budget?

momb Wed 23-Mar-16 13:19:47

Center doh!

Bloodybridget Wed 23-Mar-16 13:26:19

Ah thanks so much momb and mummymeister! Momb, I have looked at Center Parcs but am a bit worried about cost of all the activities, on top of accommodation. To my shame, I can't ride a bike. Mummymeister, Wringworthy Cottages do look lovely, but driving as far as Looe in August would be a bit much, I think. Yes will look at lastminute.com.

I'm just looking at Forest Holidays, which might be a possibility - any thoughts?

iseenodust Fri 25-Mar-16 17:56:09

We've done a Forest Holiday and the standard of the accommodation was good. Some sites are older though so do your research. We had a jacuzzi on the deck which was fab as a treat. Ranger activities are usually run in the holidays.

Bloodybridget Fri 25-Mar-16 18:46:15

Thanks iseenodust, I have booked a week at Forest Holidays in the Forest of Dean so hope it will be good! DP and I aren't very particular about standards of accommodation but surroundings are important. We have got a hot tub, v excited about that!

iseenodust Fri 25-Mar-16 20:19:50

Hope you have a fab time. We stayed in Cropton Forest in N Yorks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now