Loved South Hams in Devon - Similar places? Norfolk?

(9 Posts)
starfish8 Mon 14-Mar-16 19:07:16

On my search for the perfect holiday destination and have been homing in on the UK.

Lake District is the easy option (going North from Manchester), but wonder what alternatives there could be.

We went to South Hams area of Devon last year and liked it's relatively unspoilt/upmarket feel of the coastal towns and area in general. Can anyone recommend another area of the UK similar to this?

What is Norfolk like, does this sound anything like South Hams?

Thanks all!

Ferguson Mon 14-Mar-16 20:05:04

Norfolk is FLAT - South Hams is lovely and undulating!

Do you know the Lake District well?? Best place in the world I think. And I can direct you to one of the BEST places in the Lakes if you wish!

EdithWeston Mon 14-Mar-16 20:12:52

Very flat, Norfolk...

Upmarket Norfolk would (arguably) centre on the Hoste Arms in Burnham Market. Or Blakeney if you sail. Or Holt if you go inland. (Or Southwold if you go as far as Suffolk!)

starfish8 Mon 14-Mar-16 20:24:50

Ok Norfolk = Flat!

Ferguson, please advise where would be a good base. We've stayed in Bowness and Kendal before, been to Ambleside a few times. Was considering Keswick but wondered if there is enough to do for a week with a 2.5 year old?

mummymeister Tue 15-Mar-16 17:17:02

we really loved southwold. exactly what you are looking for but flat.

Ferguson Tue 15-Mar-16 20:06:23

I was a bit mean to Norfolk! If you like boats and sailing, then the Broads are ideal.

Keswick : I admit a 2.5 yr old probably won't be climbing the highest mountains. At that age (and well beyond!) our DS was happy to play in streams, waterfalls, pretend to fish, etc.

On four occasions we stayed two weeks at Rannerdale Farm, on Crummockl Water, a few miles from Keswick. The farm hires out rowing boats; we used to take a picnic, row to the middle of the lake, and drift around for a few hours, surrounded by spectacular mountains.

www.sallyscottages.co.uk/rannerdale-close

Keswick town has all the required shops, a museum, and the pencil factory museum.

www.pencilmuseum.co.uk/

The islands on Derwent Water are where Squirrel Nutkin teased the owl; there are several other locations connected with Beatrix Potter. There are launch cruises on the lake. A famous small mountain is Catbells, and if you have a sling to carry DC when he/she gets tired, then it could be a possibility.

www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_26.html

I will come back in a few days with more details.

starfish8 Wed 16-Mar-16 09:49:39

Thanks Ferguson for the info so far. Of course, the pencil museum! I would fancy doing that! I agree, we won't be doing big walks with our DS, but generally running around/enjoying the environment.

That cottage looks in a lovely location - though booked up the week in Sept I wanted to go (first week after the kids go back). One to bookmark for another time!

After doing some research on things to do in The Lakes, general, I came up with this list:

Keswick - Pencil museum, swimming, town
Grizedale Sculpture Park
Whinlatter - Wild Play
Tarn Hows
Boat - Windermere/Ambleside
Something train related e.g. Steam train at Haverthwaite or Ravenglass/Eskdale Railway.

(Also posted here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_advice_tips/2592081-Lake-District-Base-Keswick-or-further-south )

I think quite a bit of that is Southern Lakes though, so may struggle to do a lot of these in a week.

I think we can certainly cover something boat related up North Lakes (Derwentwater/Ullswater) but maybe not as much as a train trip. (I sound mad, but I have a transport mad 2.5 year old DS!)

Thanks in advance for any further advice....

Ferguson Thu 17-Mar-16 20:23:18

Yes - Rannerdale Close is about as perfect as you can get, we thought. It is a working sheep farm, and when we used to go Mrs Beard did the bookings herself, but I guess now with Internet it's easier to have someone else do the admin.

The Ravenglass - Eskdale narrow gauge railway is superb, and you can often see locos being turned on the turntable. There used to be all-day rover tickets I think, so you can get on and off at different place. (If you do stay in the North Lakes it is quieter than Ambleside, Windermere, Coniston etc, and is hardly worth the crowded drive to go south - save that for other occasion!)

ravenglass-railway.co.uk/

keswickmuseum.org.uk/

www.f22.org.uk/lakes/index.htm

Famous artist Peter Symonds is very keen on Crummock Water, and told me he would like to stay at Rannerdale, but hasn't made it yet!

petersymondsartist.co.uk/archive-lakedistrict/

Ferguson Fri 18-Mar-16 20:05:21

Here is another list of accommodation addresses and contacts, so I hope something here might be suitable. Note, however I don't know anything about them.

melbreakcommunities.wordpress.com/services/commercial/accommodation-self-catering/

(The photo is Melbreak, and that is the view from the living room window at Rannerdale Close. Crummock Water is the middle one of three lakes, with Buttermere to the east, Loweswater to the west.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now