Lake district base - scafell

(17 Posts)
321Go Sun 21-Feb-16 16:33:29

Hi
Can anyone recommend a cottage / lodge / cabin / caravan in the lakes that would be a good base for climbing scafell? Doesn't need to be in wasdale just not too far away. Needs to take dogs though. I'm not having much luck with Google.
Thanks!

Ferguson Thu 25-Feb-16 20:36:22

I assume you will have access to a car? Are you an experienced fell-walker, and why in particular do you want to climb Scafell?

We used to stay at Rannerdale Farm, on Crummock Water, and there are numerous fells accessible from there. You can also hire rowing boats for the lake:

www.sallyscottages.co.uk/rannerdale-close

www.buttermere-lorton.com/self_catering/rannerdale.htm

melbreakcommunities.wordpress.com/services/commercial/accommodation-self-catering/

Other than it being the highest mountain in England, Scafell Pike isn't really an enjoyable mountain to climb, as it is a never-ending slog over miles of boulders. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of more enjoyable climbs!

Rannerdale would be one of the pleasantest places to stay. I think there is also a camping barn in Buttermere.

You could also access Scafell from Ennerdale I think, and I walked it from Dungeon Ghyll Old Hotel (ODG):

www.wildennerdale.co.uk/

www.odg.co.uk/

321Go Thu 25-Feb-16 21:19:46

Thanks! I'll have a look at those.
Yes an experienced fell-walker.
Why Scafell Pike? After climbing Snowdon and some other fantastic walks in Wales last year, the kids and I fancied Scafell this year. I haven't been to the lakes for years after growing up not very far away so a good excuse to make what is now a long journey.
We'll be there for a week probably so plenty of time to do other walks too.
Do you have any thoughts on starting in Wasdale or Borrowdale? Borrowdale sounds to be a nicer, although longer walk but less driving to the start.

Ferguson Fri 26-Feb-16 19:51:09

I only did Scafell Pike once, in 1966 I think. I was staying at ODG, and went up via The Band (Bowfell) to start, then over Esk Pike and Great End.

I think probably starting from Borrowdale would be nice, but it may depend where you are based. I give a few more links below:

www.scafellpike.org.uk/

www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes1.htm

www.trekkingbritain.com/scafellpikefromwasdale.htm#mapsforthiswalk

Apparently Google Earth has a virtual 'climb' in the Scafells, but we use Linux, so can't access it.

If you have time, Grasmoor (further north) is great, because it looks across to the Scafells and you see them from a different perspective. I also love The Great Slab on Bowfell (great fun), and Sharp Edge on Blenthcathra, but that is a bit scary!

I assume you will have the 2-1/2" OS maps, and the relevant 'Wainwrights', which have now been updated. There is also a super DVD "Life of a Mountain: a Year on Scafell Pike", part of which has been shown on BBC4 a few times.

Ferguson Wed 02-Mar-16 16:58:17

The BBC4 Scafell Pike documentary is on again tonight, if you haven't seen it:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04y4gd7/life-of-a-mountain-a-year-on-scafell-pike

Lilymaid Wed 02-Mar-16 17:15:38

Pedantic point - Scafell and Scafell Pike are two different (but close to each other) mountains.
I would stay in Borrowdale as it is less remote than Wasdale.

Ferguson Sat 05-Mar-16 19:39:34

Yes - and I note Wainwright advises from Borrowdale, as you can have one route up, and a different way down. Some other routes are the same path up AND down.

321Go Sat 05-Mar-16 22:25:08

Thanks! Yes Scafell Pike. Been looking further at routes. Wasdale head might work for us as a couple of miles shorter. Although seathwaite much more accessible and route sounds nicer. Anyone walked both and can comment on time taken? Got to maximise on kids window of enthusiasm!!

Ferguson Sun 13-Mar-16 19:54:10

I only did Scafell Pike the once, from Langdale which was quite a long walk; so I can't help on other routes.

How old are the children? If they coped with Snowdon OK, I wouldn't think Scafell is a much longer walk, but it is VERY MUCH rougher. Snowdon is a nice smooth path in comparison!

capercaillie Sun 13-Mar-16 19:58:03

I've always thought the walk up from Wasdale feels shorter - it's a nice path going up as well. Another good place to base is Eskdale - about 20-25 mins drive from Wasdale. There's some great walks there too - Harter Fell is nice and manageable by children. Also steam train in Eskdale. There isn't much at Wasdale head apart from a very nice pub!

321Go Tue 15-Mar-16 21:19:48

Thanks! Have booked a place now so just deliberating still on routes. Kids are aged 5-11. They were fine with Snowdon - straight to the playground when we got back (I was hobbling the next day!). The paths were indeed good there although steep and rocky towards the end (Pyg and Miners tracks). I'll keep Harter Fell in mind too - won't be far away from us.

lljkk Sat 09-Apr-16 19:25:42

(wow... can't believe this is only thread on 1st 3 pages of UK travel, about Lake District.)

Anyway, we have booked cottage & i fancy Wasdale ascent to Scafell Pike with kids, too. Is supposed to be the shortest route. Any other recommendations for Lake district things to do with kids, especially active things or bad weather things to do?

My kids are 8, 11 & 14. Thx.

321Go Thu 09-Jun-16 22:45:17

Have you been yet lljkk? Whereabouts is your cottage?
We did the Borrowdale route from Seathwaite with a mix of the esk house route up and corridor route down.
The kids managed well in spite of cold weather.

MegBusset Thu 09-Jun-16 22:54:35

Would recommend Eskdale as a base - we have stayed in Fisherground Lodges but there are plenty of cottages along the valley. We climbed from Wasdale Head - be aware that you will be competing with many Three Peak-ers and sadly not all are very respectful of the surrounds (the public loos at Wasdale car park about the most horrific I've ever seen).

However there is no way I would take a 5yo (no matter how enthusiastic) up Scafell Pike, as others have said it is much rougher than the Snowdon path, easier to get lost and if the weather changes could turn dodgy quickly - there's no cafe at the top or train to get you back down again. There are plenty of gentler fells with stunning views.

MegBusset Thu 09-Jun-16 22:59:01

As far as things to do in that side of the fells - walk up Eskdale to the waterfall (Stanley Force Ghyll), steam train to Ravenglass, Muncaster Castle (you can walk over the fell), boat trip on Coniston, paddling in Wastwater all went down well.

MegBusset Thu 09-Jun-16 23:00:41

Oh sorry seen you've already done it! Glad it went well. We're planning to go back next year.

heron98 Fri 10-Jun-16 14:30:25

We live in Borrowdale. You can walk Scafell from this side via the corridor route, it's a longer day out but (I think) less steep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now