Best way to get to St Ives from St Agnes via train

(5 Posts)
clottedcreamteawithscone Wed 29-Jul-15 11:37:43

we want to go but have heard its a nightmare to drive ... are there any trains from St Agnes, Redruth or Truro?

flashheartscanoe Wed 29-Jul-15 13:05:44

The mainline goes down through Truro and redruth and you need to change at St erth for St Ives. If it was me I would drive down the a30 as far as as erth or lelant saltings and get the train from there. (It's a gorgeous train ride).
Top tip, research restaurants and book for lunch before you go or have a pasty on the beach if its nice. St Ives is heaving in August.

anythingforaquietnight Wed 29-Jul-15 13:16:00

We catch the train from Redruth. Nice quiet station, really helpful staff and plenty of parking either at the station or a 2 minute walk away in town (Flowerpot carpark). Then change at St Erth for the St Ives train. Lovely journey.

I think you said you were staying in Truro? If so just get the train from there.

The A30 between Camborne and Hayle can be a nightmare at this time of year and best to avoid if possible.

I'd agree with pre-booking for lunch. It is very very busy at this time of year

clottedcreamteawithscone Wed 29-Jul-15 15:24:06

Hi yes in Truro but at a friends holiday let in St Agnes the day we are all going to St Ives.

Ive heard not to drive due to jams even around St Erth so Redruth it is then smile I think we will grab a sandwiche/pasty etc and take in the views

Just need to weather to buck itself up

anythingforaquietnight Wed 29-Jul-15 16:23:52

There is additional parking at Redruth station behind the railway line. You get to it by following the road down under the railway bridge and take an immediate left before the mechanic/garage. It usually has plenty of room.

And you have to try MooMaid ice cream if you are in St. Ives. It's the best ice cream in the UK ( I've eaten a lot of ice cream, so feel qualified to state that as fact). It's made by a small family business near Zennor. They have a shop on the sea front in the middle of St Ives.

And watch out for the sea gulls. They like ice cream and pasties too

Have a lovely time. The weather is certainly brightening up this afternoon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now