Canal / narrow boat holiday

(9 Posts)
AnnoyedByAlfieBear Fri 24-Apr-15 17:34:22

Dh wants to go on a narrow boat next year. By then the dc will be about 3.9 and 19/20 months. He's crazy isn't he? What is there to keep them entertained?

Pil and sil will also be coming so no issue with the locks but that's a whole other issue.

LIZS Fri 24-Apr-15 17:39:44

We've been with preschoolers and it was fine. Allocated them space to use during the day which one of us would supervise, took a buggy so we could get off and walk along the towpath for a bit. As long as you take breaks, pick your route carefully -- and the sun shines-- it should be fine.

SevenAteNine Wed 29-Apr-15 14:39:41

It will be fine. It might just be mobile childminding if it rains though.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 29-Apr-15 20:51:22

Thanks both of you. We have a Hoeseasons brochure and I'm trying to sway dh towards the luxury models.

Dowser Wed 06-May-15 20:06:31

We did a canal boat holiday with 2 4 and 2 6 years old. I left my two year old at home.

Great fun. Sun shone all week though!

GottaFeeling Wed 06-May-15 20:26:28

I've been wondering about posting this for a while, don't want to spoil anyone's holiday, but very sadly, I know a family whose 3yo drowned on a canal boat holiday, so couldn't bring myself to do it with young children.

They had one of those moments we all have from time to time, when each parent thought the other was supervising.

reddaisy Wed 06-May-15 20:32:53

I wouldn't do it. We had several narrow boat holidays before we had DC and one with DD, 2, when I was pregnant. It was actually fine with one but there is absolutely no way we would do it again until DS, 3, is older. There is more noise and chaos with two DC now so it is easier to get distracted and DS does not listen whereas DD when we took her at 2 was a good listener. It would not be a holiday, it would be an endurance test - hire a small boat for the day instead that is what I would do.

reddaisy Wed 06-May-15 20:33:38

GottaFeeling, how desperately sad. Yes, we all do that and it is easier to do in larger groups where we all let our guards down.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 07-May-15 13:23:24

How awful GottaFeeling. I think I'll try to persuade dh to wait a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now