Caravanning west coast of Scotland

(10 Posts)
brotherhoodofspam Mon 23-Jun-14 21:27:58

We've got just under 2 weeks end of July, beginning of August and have decided to take the caravan to the west of Scotland, probably starting in Kintyre then working our way north. This is more DH and DC's idea than mine. Don't get me wrong, I love Scotland (and live here) but am a bit anxious about midges in the West in August and if the weather's bad not sure if we're going to end up hating the caravan and each other! Any suggestions for nice places to go to, midge free sites and wet weather options?

Chocolateporridge Mon 23-Jun-14 21:35:37

I don't have any caravanning experience but I grew up in the west coast of Scotland, in Campbeltown, and I know it's a huge journey to get there but at this time of year it's so worth it. Try and find a caravan site near Tayinloan if you want amazing views of the islands of Gigha, Islay, Jura (also good for day trips, especially if you like whisky!). Or on the south side of Campbeltown, Southend is great for lovely beaches, views of Ailsa Craig and the Ayrshire coast as well as being close to the real Mull of Kintyre which is breathtaking and on a hood day you can see Northern Ireland.

As for midges, taking antihistamines seems to help as well as the Avon Skin so Soft oil spray in a green bottle, but you'll not avoid them at this time of year.

Feeling homesick now!

iseenodust Mon 23-Jun-14 21:36:26

We went to the Mull of Galloway one August and I was amazed how midge free it was. I'm not sure if we were just lucky or it was because it has sea both sides. The year before we stayed up near Skye and that had midges in abundance, especially early evening.

CampingClaire Tue 24-Jun-14 08:35:51

Not sure you'll find midge free sites on the West north of Glasgow!! Arisaig is beautiful if you can get that far north in the time. Pray for a breeze! Generally feeling is that Skin So Soft isn't tackling them anymore (changed ingredients). This is proving popular in its place! Oh and start taking Vitamin B6 supplements now... that was a tip from a ghillie!

CampingClaire Tue 24-Jun-14 08:37:17

If you can be bothered with the journey...Sango Sands at Durness is amazing and we've never been bothered by midges that much there. Think it may be too remote for them!!

brotherhoodofspam Tue 24-Jun-14 18:00:20

Thank you all for suggestions so far. I've been told Smidge is better than Skin So Soft (which we usually use) so have stocked up on that. Completely agree that Mull of Galloway is wonderful but quite close to home so probably will go a bit further North. There's a ferry from Ardrossan to Campbelltown direct now so thought we'd do that to start with to reduce the journey time then go North from there (DH grew up in Kintyre hence the wish to go back there)

brotherhoodofspam Tue 24-Jun-14 18:01:35

Will also have a look at Durness and Arisaig on the map. Thanks

Chocolateporridge Wed 25-Jun-14 17:35:13

I'd meant to mention the ferry, sorry! I've not tried it but would love your feedback after you've been because we were thinking of using it next time we visit family. Have a lovely holiday!

It will depend on the weather. If sunny and/or breezy, it will be less midgy. Sacrifice at the monster midge west of Acharacle!

brotherhoodofspam Sat 28-Jun-14 09:54:57

Couldn't understand what you meant Blue and thought it was a typo till I googled Monster Midgegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now