Weekend break in Bamburgh - any must dos?

(23 Posts)
maggiethecat Sun 13-Apr-14 23:00:30

Just made late booking to go Easter weekend, as have always fancied Northumberland and not too far to get to. Any must dos for Bamburgh during a short break?

Restaurant recommendations would be good too - unfussy but good food.

myrtleWilson Sun 13-Apr-14 23:02:22

Oh do go to beach at Low Newton and the Ship Inn is fantastic www.shipinnnewton.co.uk

BorsetshireBlue Sun 13-Apr-14 23:06:24

Holy Island is fantastic - I still get excited driving across the causeway.

Fresh fish from the fish monger in Seahouses (Butcher in Bamburgh is good, but expensive).

The beach at Bamburgh is the best in the world in my completely unbiased opinion. Clean and empty with loads of rock pools - We were last there in November a couple of years ago and spent hours down at the beach.

I cant help with restaurants, but the tea shop in Bamburgh (The Copper Kettle?) does a nice afternoon tea.

maggiethecat Sun 13-Apr-14 23:17:32

all sounds very nice. managed to get late hotel which has very mixed reviews so hoping that the beautiful beach and atmosphere will make up for any accommodation shortcomings.

cottonwoolmum Mon 14-Apr-14 21:00:19

Borset's right. Bamburgh has the best beach in UK.

You could try the smart tree house restaurant in the grounds of Alnwick Castle (Hogwarts school.) Not too far away. They do lunch too.

maggiethecat Tue 15-Apr-14 13:29:10

really looking forward to it especially since weather forecast is good!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 15-Apr-14 13:33:17

Lindisfarne might be my favourite place in the whole world. It's peaceful and beautiful and just mesmerising. Having to cross the causeway makes it special. We stranded ourselves for a few hours while the tide came in, it was great.

You can walk around the whole island and it's worth doing, we say seals off the coast on the side people don't normally walk so much and it was so peaceful.

sisterofmercy Tue 15-Apr-14 14:18:35

Bamburgh castle is one of the best castles I have ever visited. There are loads of places to visit nearby too - Alnwick, Seahouses (fishy food!), the Cheviot hills, Lindisfarne, all the Roman sites...

It's just wonderful.

maggiethecat Tue 15-Apr-14 23:24:31

wish I had posted earlier - called Ship Inn today to make reservation bcos dh's birthday is on Saturday and they're booked out sad

MrTumblesCrackWhore Wed 16-Apr-14 00:00:05

Try the cook and barker pub. They do lovely food.

MrTumblesCrackWhore Wed 16-Apr-14 00:03:35

Embleton beach, Alnmouth beach and dunstanburgh castle walk are all excellent things to do too.

ErrolTheDragonsEgg Wed 16-Apr-14 00:07:09

Second what DoYouThink says - there's something lovely about being on Lindesfarne, knowing that there's no point rushing as you're there till the tide goes out. It just slows you right down. smile

The other place I love round there is Dunstanburgh, walking to the castle along the shore - quite a while since we've been but there was a pub which did great crab sarnies.

ouryve Wed 16-Apr-14 00:10:06

Fish and chips at the Neptune in Seahouses.

ouryve Wed 16-Apr-14 00:11:53

Weather forecast good, unless it's the height of summer, means you possibly won't need waterproofs, btw. Do take layers, as it can still be blooming cold, even midsummer!

ouryve Wed 16-Apr-14 00:13:05

And another good beach is beadnell bay. Some lovely art deco properties as you walk down the long way.

maggiethecat Wed 16-Apr-14 00:41:21

Will call them up crackwhore.

thanks for reality check for clothing ouryve!

camwombat Wed 16-Apr-14 00:46:47

The pub in Craster is excellent, if you are not fish fans its a little limited though.
Wrap up warm and do a boat trip (from Seahouses) to the Farne Islands to see seals and puffins.
Or just explore Bamburgh it looks lovely.

maggiethecat Wed 16-Apr-14 00:53:02

wombat, we are fish fans but kids are not - they'll just have to eat bread!

MrTumblesCrackWhore Wed 16-Apr-14 00:56:35

The pub at craster do lovely doorstep ham sarnies etc, at least they did for my dc last time we were there (last summer)

LostInMess Wed 16-Apr-14 01:12:02

Pub in Craster is the Jolly Fisherman - has recently been done up and haven't eaten there since, but right on the seafront & you can do great walk along seafront to Dunstanburgh. Cook & Barker in Newton on the Moor is great although might be a bit far for you? (5 miles south of Alnwick) - might also be fully booked now. I have heard great things about the Northumberland Arms in Felton not far from NOTM but not eaten there - they're both inland too.

Ship at Low Newton is great, especially if you're an ale drinker (has its own microbrewery) but very, very popular as you saw - a bit too much really. It's tiny and keeps popping us in national media so always swamped - you can sit outside if you don't mind 'bracing' but limited seating there too. You can buy bottled beers to take away though and the beach is gorgeous.

I'd definitely second the Treehouse restaurant - good food and really good value - am planning on going there for my birthday as I'll be up there then. Really quirky too.

Trip to the Farne Islands would definitely be on my list, and if you're taking DC, check out the Ford & Etal light railway.

Have fun!

LostInMess Wed 16-Apr-14 01:15:51

Ps - Jolly Fisherman is the crab sandwich pub that Errol mentioned - they also used to do a mean crab & whiskey soup.

Spinaroo Wed 16-Apr-14 23:57:34

We go here lots and love it!!! For eating in bamburgh, there are a few places. The castle hotel is pub grub, the wynding inn at the lord Crewe hotel is nice as is the Victoria hotel. The Mizen head gets great reviews- fish based- looks lovely but have not eaten there. The treehouse at Alnwick is great for a special occasion as quite pricy.

Re activities, definitely take a boat trip to the farne islands- from seahouses. And the beach is just amazing!!!!!!

Enjoy!!!

defineme Thu 17-Apr-14 00:10:54

The Farne Islands are amazing-puffins are very cool birds, but if you get onto the island really do wear hats and take an umbrella-being clawed/shat on by gulls can ruin an outing!

There are no better beaches. Being from Northumberland has meant that everywhere from Cornwall to North Norfolk has disappointed me-there's always a little voice in my head saying 'very nice, but it's not Bamburgh, Walkworth, Newton' or my favourite is Sugar Sands at Longhoughton.

The Fishing Boat Inn at Boulmer has a lovely view over the sea from the conservatory or outside. beach has a lot of crabs in the rock pools. Food average decent pub stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now