The Lake District.. Talk to me!

(10 Posts)
R2G Wed 19-Mar-14 12:16:30

Hi 3 boys all under 9. Staying in Bowness. We know the standard Lake trips etc, but please tell me anything else you would recommend to go/ do/see/visit/eat anywhere in the Lakes as plan to move around.

Thanks!

Wetoopere Wed 19-Mar-14 20:29:16

Brockhole, Grizedale, Fell foot?

Wolfcub Wed 19-Mar-14 20:34:38

Don't bother with the aquarium. The little train is nice but expensive.

2fedup Wed 19-Mar-14 20:36:11

Take them walking. There are some nice caves round near rydal water on the side of Loughrigg fell which are good for boys.
DS also liked the climbing centre in ambleside if it rains.
Hire a rowing boat in Keswick

Thevelveteenrabbit Wed 19-Mar-14 20:39:09

Wray Castle - national trust property had good children's activities on when we were there last.

TheBigBumTheory Wed 19-Mar-14 20:49:47

Whinlatter forest near Keswick, good and free play area, nice cafe, woodland walks and biking.

Lake District animal park near Bassenthwaite really good conservation based place with free talks, soft play, picnic area, café outdoor play area. They have gibbons, lemurs, meerkats, monkeys, reptiles, birds-it's fab.

Crummock water and the Kirkstile inn nearby for a very nice lunch.

The north lakes are much quieter and less touristy, except Keswick which is lovely but a tourist magnet.

CenterParcs if you like that sort of thing grin

Ilikesweetpeas Wed 19-Mar-14 21:02:28

Do you have tesco days out vouchers? If so aquarium is worth it with those, otherwise pricey for the size. South Lakes animal park is good, there are often bogof vouchers for there

R2G Tue 25-Mar-14 21:53:42

Thanks this is brilliant I hadn't thought about tesco vouchers but will definitely do that!

R2G Tue 25-Mar-14 21:54:19

Thanks this is brilliant I hadn't thought about tesco vouchers but will definitely do that!

TheBigBumTheory Wed 26-Mar-14 09:32:36

Have fun OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now