Where to stay in Derbyshire, I've never been!

(16 Posts)
ihatethecold Tue 18-Mar-14 13:16:13

I want to stay in the peak district in April, but since I've never been I don't know where to stay.
I would like to be close to walks so I can take the dog straight out on a nice long scenic amble.

Can anyone recommend any cottages also. I need it to sleep 4 and be dog friendly.

Thanks

ihatethecold Tue 18-Mar-14 17:55:20

Anyone?

chosenone Tue 18-Mar-14 18:03:32

Not sure of cottages but have a look in Buxton, Bakewell, Castleton (castle, caverns and caves), Hathersage (has an outdoor pool) all have lovely walks, riverside, parks etc and are near lots of other walks.

Extremewife Tue 18-Mar-14 18:04:28

Heather sage and eat at the Scotsmans pack pub best food ever

febel Tue 18-Mar-14 18:10:33

I live in Derbyshire, near the Peak District and it depends on what sort of Peak you are interested in as the White Peak and the Dark Peak are quite different.. White is gentler and more limestone, Dark has Kinder Scout etc...for my money more dramatic scenery. Lots of tourist attractions, historic houses etc as well as lovely walks. Have a look at websites? Can't reccomend a cottage am afraid, we've always camped..and have done so near Hathersage, Bakewell, Tideswell. A lot of the pubs let dogs in too...or the ones we tried did! Weather in Dark Peak can be slightly more iffy than white...but who knows these days! (having walked the dog in vest top and shorts last week and thick coat and jeans this week!)
Hope you find somewhere nice, it is a fab area

VivaLeBeaver Tue 18-Mar-14 18:12:10

Curbar, Grindleford, Frogget.

Onesieone Tue 18-Mar-14 18:13:45

Look at Darwin Park. It's a lovely wee place with lots of log cottages. We love it here. Really pretty.

Smartiepants79 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:18:12

We stayed here www.darwinforest.co.uk/
Accommodation was excellent.
Thoroughly recommend.

ihatethecold Tue 18-Mar-14 18:27:11

Thanks. Will start checking out the recommendations.
We don't need 10 miles walks just ease of access to walks with the dog.

TheRealGarethMalone Tue 18-Mar-14 19:27:12

Monsall Head has a lovely pub.

Grindleford Cafe is legend. ( just don't ask for mushrooms)

VivaLeBeaver Tue 18-Mar-14 19:29:09

Grindleford café sure is a legend. Sadly not quite the same since the old owner died but his son is nice.

I remember turning up with friends and being yelled out as we walked in to go and sit outside. He's just washed the floor and no one was allowed in for the rest of the day. He also said the only thing we could have was chips. grin This was mid afternoon, so not really late!

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 18-Mar-14 19:33:13

Absolutely agree with The Real.

Both are legends.

If you want beautiful walking I would look for somewhere as close to Dovedale as possible.

R2G Tue 25-Mar-14 22:15:25

How much was Darwin Park about?

Onykahonie Tue 25-Mar-14 22:50:29

Not sure about dogs, but we stayed here several years ago: http://www.theoldchapelbirchover.co.uk/index.php

Spaghettinetti Wed 02-Apr-14 14:38:35

I'd recommend staying in, or near. Bakewell. There's lots in the town and you're close to Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall as well as Lathkill Dale, Monsall Head and loads of other nice places to go for walks...

aircooled Wed 02-Apr-14 22:54:28

Don't fail to visit the Three Stags Heads at Wardlow Mires near Tideswell. Dog friendly and unique.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now