UK barns or cottages with pools

(33 Posts)
Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 16-Mar-14 22:29:38

Help me pleeease . I think we have decided on a "staycation " and want a barn / cottage / lodge (naice ) in a very small development with a pool - preferably indoor and a play area, climbing frame etc. Don't want it to be crowded or cramped. Don't want organised activities. Do want it be close to the coast. I have Googled and found some beauties but I am sure mumsnetters will come up with the perfect one for us.

mummymeister Sun 16-Mar-14 23:29:49

we have stayed here lots of times particularly when the kids were younger. it has a pool, stone cottages, a big playbarn, swings and things outside and animals. what time of year are you looking for? this place is in south cornwall near looe about half an hour from Plymouth and you get to it down the a38 nowhere near the a30 car park into cornwall. if its school summer hols then everywhere has booked out really early this year due to the gove changes. I have some other suggestions if this isn't what you want.

BackforGood Sun 16-Mar-14 23:45:51

I'd like some other suggestions please mummymeister grin

Court Farm near Bude, Cornwall ticks all these boxes, look in the Reviews section.

magpieC Mon 17-Mar-14 00:07:23

Greenwood Grange near Dorchester is lovely.

mummymeister Mon 17-Mar-14 08:07:06

Backforgood - here are a couple of others here or here I have stayed a lot in the Portmadog area and particularly like Borth y Gest but these are single cottages or caravan parks. also southwold but again single cottages which we have got through an agency.

Ratfinkle Mon 17-Mar-14 08:18:45

How about the Colmer Estate near modbury. All cottages rented out individually. We had a two bed and it was small but was lovely. Standards probably vary tho so you'd need to do your homework.

It has small indoor pool, large outdoor pool, play area, lake, tennis courts, pool table.

Not at all commercial. It has a pub in walking distance.

It is about fifteen mins drive to a huuuuge range of south hams beaches, near to dartmoor and absolutely loads of south hams activities.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 17-Mar-14 15:09:48

oh thanks very much; exactly what I am after. I found the first link last night whilst surfing idly. Seems the whole if Norfolk is booked up already too. There are some beauties over that way. Will spend some time finding the right one I am also fancying westbayclub.co.uk/

mummymeister Mon 17-Mar-14 15:43:08

when do you want to go OP?

Wolfiefan Mon 17-Mar-14 15:48:14

Try English Country Cottages?
We love Bluestone too but guessing it is too big for what you want.

seb1 Mon 17-Mar-14 16:00:28

What about St Andrews

seb1 Mon 17-Mar-14 16:05:23
Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 17-Mar-14 19:47:01

well time is the other problem with crowds - within the first two weeks of August. We can do a few days here and there, happy to travel around but one loooong drive (in excess of 4 to 5 hours) would be irksome with 3 small dcs. We live pretty much in the centre of England so can go any direction. Bluestone ... I will Google. Told Dh the prices of some of the nicer ones I have looked at and suddenly flights to foreign climes don't seem so ridiculously expensive. He thought it would be cheap ....ha ha ha hagrin

HiggsBosom Mon 17-Mar-14 20:38:44

We have enjoyed two holidays at three gates farm in Devon, they have nice indoor pool and a good outdoor play area. Nice and quiet but close to lots of places. Maybe not posh enough for you though!!

mummymeister Tue 18-Mar-14 10:55:30

tell your DH nowhere is cheap in August!! its the peak of the peak as I was once told. you might be lucky to find any of the decent places due to school hols so would suggest you do a date search rather than just a general look. have found otherwise I set my heart on something only to find it has been full for months beforehand. alternatively, get your DH on to it smile

Can you change to the second half of August and go to Scotland? Schools go back earlier than they do in England and it is much quieter and probably cheaper.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 18-Mar-14 15:14:59

I enquired about greenwood grange ...it looks lovely but is over £2k. I possibly might pay that but it would be money down the drain if it rained for a week as we'd end up at home. I am going to check out the others. Seems a decent one will be over a thousand which is only two hundred per person I suppose. I am no closer to a booking yet......

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 18-Mar-14 15:19:18

3gates farm looks gorgeous but fully booked...

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 18-Mar-14 22:46:02

Wringworthy the same.

am liking the look of www.croft-holiday-cottages.co.uk/soft-play-area-amp-pool-table.html but waiting for price... have also found some lovely ones near here byte,as much as there is.loads to do with kids here, I cannot holiday in my own county. Dropped hints to Dh though that I want to stay here in.....hang on

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 18-Mar-14 22:47:42

www.haddongrovefarmcottages.co.uk/
I like the open plan Riber one best

mumsareglam Wed 19-Mar-14 13:45:35

Have a look at http://www.thebaytalland.com/ . It's a gated development with and indoor pool and plunge freshwater pool. Walking distance to Talland bay beach. We went first week of July last year when it was baking hot and had a great time.

I can recommend Hope Barton Barns in Hope Cove, near Salcombe Devon. Looks from online booking as though it's all booked up, but worth calling them because it is a 'shared ownership' place where owners often decide against using their weeks and hand them over to the office for letting instead.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 19-Mar-14 18:51:42

thanks. still haven't booked anywhere....

YarnyStasher Wed 19-Mar-14 18:53:39
Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 19-Mar-14 19:32:13

looks lovely . yorkshire is gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now