restaurant/pub recommendations york?

(9 Posts)
Bea Tue 12-Nov-13 14:07:11

off to York with my mum... need somewhere yummy... not too fancy... but still nice! for evening meal...?

in York centre please as will not have a car!

tia!!
x

YukonHo Tue 12-Nov-13 14:08:53

Betty's is the obvious choice if you are taking your mum, it's a very well known tea rooms, they do a gorgeous high tea or proper 'dinner' type food and the cakes etc are to die for! Very central too.

YukonHo Tue 12-Nov-13 14:10:31
YukonHo Tue 12-Nov-13 14:14:26

Otherwise

Cote or Rustique very good French food
Filmore and Union is nice (not sure if open in eve, but gorgeous food)
Ko San Rd is excellent for Thai food and very reasonable
Mumbai lounge is supposed to be good for Indian but not been there
El Gaucho does a fabulous, fabulous steak.

MrsHoratioNelson Tue 12-Nov-13 14:15:57

Although it's a chain, the ASK is in the old assembly rooms which are beautiful.

There is a lovely Italian down the Shambles, so right in the city centre. Bari I think its called. I've been there many times over the years, first proper date with h, and went in half term.

The viceroy just outside of the city walls is a nice indian restaurant.

Oscars is more of a wine bar but serves good food.

Piccilino which is just over the bridge, I don't know the proper name of the bridge, as xh always called it boyes bridge!

if you don't mind getting a taxi a little bit out the dormouse is lovely. ITs a chain (vintage inns) but the food was lovely, really nice. Really friendly staff and old pub with roaring log fire. I'd book though.

they have all the usual chains as well and lots of the pubs in the city centre serve food in the evening. Even betty's is open and they serve fab food.

YukonHo Tue 12-Nov-13 19:28:43

Aw don't, Bari brings back memories of being a student, DH and I used to go there on dates too. Love york. smile

Bea Wed 13-Nov-13 23:25:48

oooo! Thank you all! I will explore all options!!!

yorkshirepuddings Wed 13-Nov-13 23:32:53

Rustique - the one near Cliffords Tower.

We went there for a birthday recently. Superb quality food and excellent prices - £13 for 2 courses or £15 for 3 courses.

Fantastic atmosphere - think busy bistro with superb service. I would recommend it to anyone. They have a good website you can look at. They advise booking in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now