Train tickets

(9 Posts)
AllSWornOut Sun 08-Sep-13 09:45:46

I'm going to be travelling by train for the first time in absolutely donkey's years. I'm currently out of the UK so will it be ok to just turn up at the station and buy the tickets when we need to travel or should I look into booking them online - and if so, through which website? TIA

LIZS Sun 08-Sep-13 10:39:09

It is often cheaper to book ahead online and then you insert your card into the ticket machine and it issues them on the day. Try www.nationalrail.co.uk/ or the local network provider

500internalerror Sun 08-Sep-13 10:41:01

Try trainline.com - you can pick the cheapest ones; they vary a lot depending on time of travel!

bruffin England Sun 08-Sep-13 10:43:06

Its better to book in advance than last minute for bigger journeys, although sometimes i have had better deals booking in advance at the station than on line.

TanteRose Sun 08-Sep-13 10:45:40

Your local station should be able to help you book the best tickets/prices for your journey. Or look at National Rail - please don't go through intermediaries like the Trainline - they are unnecessary, because you can access the information directly from the provider, and they just put an extra level inbetween you and the provider. And they don't do this out of the goodness of their hearts, either. They are making profit, and that profit, presumably, either comes from the purchaser or from the rail companies.

ihearsounds Sun 08-Sep-13 12:23:19

Book in advance, the tickets really are cheaper than paying on the day, and not just by a couple of quid either.
Can sometimes be cheaper to split the journey and only buy singles.
Find out the train operator for the route and go through them. Trainline etc only offer what the operators say they can, and are either the same price or because of charges cost more.

AllSWornOut Sun 08-Sep-13 13:52:54

Thanks everyone. It's been years since I've taken a train and all I know about the train system is what I read in Private Eye shock

trinitybleu Sun 08-Sep-13 15:45:30

www.takethetrain.co.uk is good - lower charges than the Train Line

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now