Looking for a reasonably priced hotel in the north for a twixmas break

(18 Posts)
chicaguapa Sun 01-Sep-13 11:23:05

We're spending Christmas & New Year in the Lakes at MIL's and I'm thinking of whisking DH away for a few nights between Christmas & New Year. Anywhere up to 2 hours' drive would be ok. Any recommendations please?

AlphaBetaOoda Sun 01-Sep-13 15:16:28

Whereabouts in the Lakes? 2 hours can be quite different from different places.
I'd be looking into Yorkshire or other end of the Lakes depending on where you are. What sort of thing do you fancy?

serin Sun 01-Sep-13 15:22:03

York or Chester both lovely at Christmas. Harrogate has some lovely hotels as well. Mind you the lakes is full of gorgeous hotels! why not stay there but tell her you have gone further afield grin

chicaguapa Sun 01-Sep-13 15:40:13

We're staying in the north so can go as far as Glasgow & Newcastle. The hotels in the Lakes are expensive over twixmas.

We don't need much tbh. It's just to get away for a few days without DC. DH would like countryside and views, I'd like post Christmas sale shopping. grin Breakfast in bed included would be nice, but I don't mind if we eat dinner in the hotel or out.

AlphaBetaOoda Sun 01-Sep-13 16:50:38

Ooh I likeGlasgow but not so much with country views in the city centre.

DSJamesHathaway Sun 01-Sep-13 18:45:24

Glasgow is lovely. Just spent a few days there and there's loads to do. There's a lovely, big park on the edge of the city called Pollok Country Park which could be enough for your DH to get his fix of countryside. Plus you'd get your shopping and there are loads of lovely restaurants.

DSJamesHathaway Sun 01-Sep-13 18:50:04

What's your budget?

StephenFrySaidSo Sun 01-Sep-13 18:54:27

why are you saying twixmas? confused

MirandaWest Sun 01-Sep-13 18:57:18

I was wondering that

iklboo Sun 01-Sep-13 19:03:04

Is twixmas when you eat a lot of two finger biscuit & caramel chocolate bars? If it is, practically my whole pregnancy with DS was twixmas!

DSJamesHathaway Sun 01-Sep-13 20:19:02

Surely Twixmas is the time betwixt Christmas and New Year. Neither one, nor the other but inbetween.

SpidercalledChester Sun 01-Sep-13 20:21:23

There are some nice hotels in the Scottish borders. Do you want a chain big place or would a nice country pub with good meals do?

chicaguapa Sun 01-Sep-13 21:51:32

Twixmas is the time between Christmas and New Year. grin

It would probably help if I had more of an idea what I wanted before looking at hotels, wouldn't it? I'll have to speak to DH. He'll feel properly stitched up if I take him away sale shopping.

StephenFrySaidSo Sun 01-Sep-13 22:57:26

grin

I have never heard of twixmas before! I thought it was some sort of mispronunciation like how a young child would say Christmas!

idiot55 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:02:00

Dumfries and Galloway, Aston hotel is lovely,in the Crichton estate.

bekind Tue 03-Sep-13 08:32:39

Glasgow is great fun and you can walk on the shores of Loch Lomond by day (30 mins drive) and enjoy city restaurants and the lights by night.

hermioneweasley Tue 03-Sep-13 09:05:18

York - cedar court hotel is lovely and pretty central
Harrogate - rudding Park

I would probably consider Yorkshire Dales, but I don't have any hotel recommendations for there!

DSJamesHathaway Sat 07-Sep-13 21:35:46

Glasgow - Menzies hotel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now