Please talk to me about the best places to visit in the UK!

(38 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Iwaswatchingthat Thu 29-Aug-13 17:56:38

After a holiday abroad this year which did not live up to our expectations we are planning to hit the UK next Summer.

We are already very familiar with the Lake District, which we love, but are open to any other places!

So please tell me about some fab places you live or have visited. We are keen to make a plan and get booked up!

Our daughters will be eight and nine.

Thank you in advance!!

Iwaswatchingthat Thu 29-Aug-13 18:28:32

Bump

mummymeister Fri 30-Aug-13 12:29:30

We love SE Cornwall and stay Here we also love north Wales all around Porthmadog. Bath is a great place to visit or Southwold which is quite a trek but plenty to see and do. These are the kind of places if you like the outdoors, plenty of beaches and walking.

Iwaswatchingthat Fri 30-Aug-13 14:11:43

Thanks mummymeister we do love the outdoors and walking. We have been to North Wales, but ended up spending more time in Chester.

The place looks fab.

Bunbaker Fri 30-Aug-13 21:07:53

Shropshire. We rented a barn conversion in Much Wenlock a few years ago and absolutely loved Shropshire. So many places to visit and things to do that a week wasn't long enough.

Places we visited/things we did included:
Ironbridge
Ludlow
Severn Valley Railway
West Midlands Safari Park
A few National Trust properties
Kinver Edge
Wenlock Priory

vix206 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:11:55

The Northumbrian coast is just beautiful. Or the Yorkshire Dales.

cathpip Fri 30-Aug-13 21:15:59

Yorkshire Dales, is stunning smile

jkklpu Fri 30-Aug-13 21:19:05

Perthshire

Bunbaker Fri 30-Aug-13 21:19:30

I'll second Northumberland and North Yorkshire.

Northumberland has loads of castles and National Trust properties, possibly the best beaches in England, Roman remains, lovely market towns, largely empty roads (except the A1) and friendly people.

North Yorkshire is just beautiful - either the Dales or the North Yorkshire Moors.

HamletsSister Fri 30-Aug-13 21:20:19

NW Scotland. Amazing beaches, Harry Potter train, wildlife (basking sharks, seals and dolphins all in one hour boat trip last weekend). Pm me if you want details of places to stay.

Lilyloo Fri 30-Aug-13 21:24:36

We have just returned from a fabulous week at Scarborough, granted the sun shined every day but we visited Filey, Bridlington, Whitby and Flamborough and it was lovely.
Also recommend Wales, crabbing at Beaumaris and the Lake District , also had a lovely break at Bude earlier this year.
Sorry to hear your holidays were a let down, not good after all that travelling.
We are thinking of the Isle of Wight maybe next year.

Seconding NW Scotland, even an island hopscotch. Honestly, in good weather, il there's nowhere more beautiful.

TeacakeEater Fri 30-Aug-13 21:47:15

I second/third Northumberland coast. Been twice and loved it and want to go back. A friend went this year and was asking herself why she'd never been before.

ecofreckle Fri 30-Aug-13 21:48:14

Not sure where you based but Norfolk is lovely. Diverse coast, broads, national trust places, lovely city for shopping, farms to visit, lots of crafty places, farm shops, great pubs, coastal path walks, horse sanctuary, nature reserves. If you do go for Norfolk happy to give more info about good locations. Happy planning!

Iwaswatchingthat Fri 30-Aug-13 21:56:05

Wow. Really helpful responses thanks. We are in North East, but have not been to Northumberland as we tend to do the lakes. Think it would be a great place to start or end our trip.

bunbaker we had a couple of nights in Shropshire last year, really near Much Wenlock - perhaps the same place in a barn conversion on a working farm. We were impressed so a re visit may be in order.

I am excited, though I keep being told that the UK is all well and good unless it rains.....grin

Iwaswatchingthat Fri 30-Aug-13 21:59:41

lilyloo thanks. Main reason hol was let down was cos we booked a hol which was too expensive, then had not enough spending money saved, so were on such a tight budget we did not feel like we were really on holiday iykwim! We are hoping a more reasonable UK break would mean we had more spendies etc and it would feel a bit more like a treat! Also felt that dds did not really appreciate hol anymore than they would a trip to local swings!

monkeymax58 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:59:47

Mevagissey in Cornwall is amazing!

Def coming back next year. smilesmilesmile

Iwaswatchingthat Fri 30-Aug-13 22:03:49

monkeymax been to St Ives and loved it, but the long drive was hell!!!

Iwaswatchingthat Fri 30-Aug-13 22:05:16

ecofreckle Norfolk sounds good too, vague recollection of going there as a child and there being lots of horses!!! So many choices.....

vix206 Sat 31-Aug-13 06:52:09

Ooh yes North Norfolk coastline (avoiding the big touristy places) is just as lovely as Cornwall. So many lovely places to go in the UK grin

Bunbaker Sat 31-Aug-13 08:30:28

I agree about the long drive to Cornwall. Much as we love Cornwall a nine hour drive is enough to put us off taking the car all that way again.

I really like the sound of Norfolk as it is a part of the world I don't really know.

Bunbaker Sat 31-Aug-13 08:30:57

And don't worry about the weather. As long as you take the right clothes you can still have fun in the rain.

monkeymax58 Sat 31-Aug-13 14:12:11

Drove home today.....Cornwall to Berkshire in 4 hours!!smilesmile

Result!thankswinewinewine

Iwaswatchingthat Sat 31-Aug-13 20:20:48

So monkeymax58 have you got all your washing done and put away???!!!!

Or have you hit the post journey wall? grin

Very impressive travel time!

MickeyMouseHasGrownUpACow Sat 31-Aug-13 20:40:32

Northumberland, North Yorkshire, Welsh coast near Dolgellau.
All beautiful and with both fabulous beaches and mountains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now