Please talk to me about the best places to visit in the UK!

(38 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Iwaswatchingthat Thu 29-Aug-13 17:56:38

After a holiday abroad this year which did not live up to our expectations we are planning to hit the UK next Summer.

We are already very familiar with the Lake District, which we love, but are open to any other places!

So please tell me about some fab places you live or have visited. We are keen to make a plan and get booked up!

Our daughters will be eight and nine.

Thank you in advance!!

VivaLeBeaver Sat 31-Aug-13 20:52:23

Derbyshire, Peak District is beautiful. Places like castleton and the caves, chatsworth house, loads of lovely walks round hathersage and curbar area.

Yorkshire dales is beautiful, Wensleydale is my favourite part.

Deathbyladybirds Sat 31-Aug-13 20:55:59

Lake District is very beautiful,

CircusAfro Sat 31-Aug-13 21:05:00

North Berwick, Scotland
Sandy beach, rock pools, Scottish seabird centre, children's golf course
30min to Edinburgh by train (£6.50 day return, kids free). See the fringe festival/book festival/tattoo in August and visit the Optical museum which is fantastic.

Shenanagins Sat 31-Aug-13 21:08:53

Cairngorms. There is a lot of family oriented outdoor activity, plus a few distilleries nearby for the adults. It can get quite warm in the glens during summer as well.

gerbilsarefun Thu 05-Sep-13 08:56:56

Another vote here for norfolk, we go a lot. There is loads to do; zoos, small children's theme parks, hire a boat on the broads for a couple of hours, lovely beaches, nice seaside towns. We also love north wales and north yorkshire (we stayed near pickering which was a great base to explore, best of all it is only 1.5hrs from home).

Iwaswatchingthat Sat 07-Sep-13 09:03:16

Thank you - Norfolk is definitely on the list of places to go.

IsabellaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Sep-13 14:16:38

Have a look at our Local sites if you're hunting for things to do in a particular area of the U.K. Find the right Local site here: local.mumsnet.com/find-a-local-site
then click Things to Do. We also have listings for shops, attractions, services and more.

5Foot5 Thu 12-Sep-13 21:58:27

Ah someone has beaten me to it but I have to put in another word for The Peak District. If you like the Lake District I am sure you will also love the countryside here and there are lots of places to visit. Chatsworth as already mentioned and also Matlock Bath, Bakewell and many more. And of course lots of walks.

Also have you thought of the Scilly Isles? Mild climate, wonderful beaches, wildlife. But if you did consider it I recommend booking early as it is small so is the sort of place that fills up quickly at school holiday times.

itried Thu 12-Sep-13 21:59:43

Applecross

Anglesey, loads of beaches each one of them different. Stupendous views over the water to Snowdonia, which I always think looks at its best when its raining, with the clouds down, or when its half covered with snow. Loads of rockpools and lovely little coves, I love this place!

Sixtiesqueen Wed 25-Sep-13 14:31:43

One of you drive to Cornwall in leisurely fashion on a Friday afternoon. Book into bed and breakfast near Newquay airport.

The other flies to Newquay with the kids on Saturday afternoon. We used to to this from Manchester airport and the flight took 45 minutes. Absolute winner!

Isles of Scilly - real Famous Five sort of stuff. Avoid long drive by taking sleeper to Penzance, then either helicopter (Penzance) or tiny plane from St Just (there's a bus connection from Penzance, or there was last time I went).

serin Wed 25-Sep-13 23:10:31

Aw sad No helicopter from Penzance now Blue, they stopped it flying last year due to 'cut backs' but the Scillonian still sails from spring to end of Oct.

IsabellaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Sep-13 16:48:58

Fans of East Riding of Yorkshire, let us know what you think of the area and why you love it and you stand a chance of being quoted in our Site of the Week feature next Monday. Join the conversation here: local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_east_riding_of_yorkshire_mumsnet_stuff/1867957-Why-do-you-love-East-Riding-of-Yorkshire-Mumsnets-Local-Site-of-the-Week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now