Where to stay in/near Tenby

(14 Posts)
frettingmum Wed 07-Aug-13 13:24:03

Hi there,

We are thinking of escaping for a short break whilst visiting my nan in South Wales. Tenby looks a great option for our children. Could anyone help me work out the best holiday site around Tenby. We are pretty flexible about where we go. I keep reading about Lyndstep - think I've spelt that correctly. Is that the best place to stay for a family. Thanks!!!

Bunbaker Wed 07-Aug-13 21:54:15

We had a holiday in Tenby a couple of years ago and loved it. We had an apartment right next to the North beach. The only drawback was that there was no parking with our accommodation and we had to get up early to pay for the car parking at the nearest municipal car park.

So my first suggestion is that if you are driving book somewhere that has sufficient parking. Secondly, if you want to spend a lot of time in Tenby book somewhere in Tenby itself because parking can be a problem.

Tidypidy Wed 07-Aug-13 22:05:21

we've spent many happy holidays near Tenby in a small town called Saundersfoot. there are 2 lovely beaches within walking distance and Tenby itself is a short drive away. you can also walk from Saundersfoot to Wiseman's Bridge through the old railway tunnels which our kids love. parking in Tenby town centre is tricky but the park and ride is easy and well sign posted. if you've got time then check out Folly Farm as it's brilliant! you can go in using tesco vouchers. there are lots of static caravan sites around the area or b and b's or holiday homes to rent. 2 years ago we stayed at a caravan site called Pinewood in Wiseman's bridge which was great. smile smile

Tidypidy Wed 07-Aug-13 22:07:07

forgot to add Lydstep is very nice according to my mum but I can't remember it! think that's where you thinking of

frettingmum Fri 09-Aug-13 10:55:29

Thanks everyone. Definitely trying to go for a few days. Struggling with prices though. We have four children and a 3 bed caravan at Lydstep is about 700£ for four days. Does any

frettingmum Fri 09-Aug-13 10:56:04

One have any other recommendations of cheaper places to stay with a large family. I was tempted t

frettingmum Fri 09-Aug-13 10:57:05

Sorry. Toddler on lap. I was tempted to get a tent but dh says it would be a disaster with four small children. Thanks for any pointers.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Fri 09-Aug-13 10:58:10

My parents took me and my sister on holiday to Saundersfoot every year as children. It is a lovely part of the world and I have lots of happy memories. Took DS there last year and was pleased to see almost nothing had changed since I last went there in about 1996!

preggersbycheggers Sat 10-Aug-13 20:24:18

Have you looked at Bliestone?

preggersbycheggers Sat 10-Aug-13 20:24:30

Bluestone even

Clary Wed 14-Aug-13 12:26:24

We have just got back from a super fortnight in Tenby.

Where to stay - depends what you like! We stay in the town itself because we can walk to get food for a picnic/walk to the lovely beaches or putting green etc. We were lucky enough to have parking in the street (permit scheme) but I agree that can be a problem.

There are lots of nice villages and smaller towns nearby. With children I might avoid somewhere very isolated. If you want a caravan park there are loads and loads nearby. Lydstep, yes, also Kiln Park at Penally, lots at New Hedges, all just a few minutes' drive from Tenby.

I would think you could find three beds in Tenby for less than £700. If you look on fbm holidays in Tenby there might be something among the special offers - tho needing 3 bedrooms is a bit of an issue (I know frm experience!)

Clary Wed 14-Aug-13 12:28:49

You'll find a lot more availability and much cheaper prices if you can go during the week starting Aug 31... my lot don't go back to school until the Thursday after that but it ay not suit you

TheFutureMrsB Wed 14-Aug-13 12:36:04

Tenby is my favourite place!

A few miles up the road is Pendine, lovely place, there's a beach and a few small shops, a laundrette, a park and a the Museum of Speed, not a very big place but only a short drive from Tenby.

We stayed in Kiln Park last year and I would recommend it, you can walk from the caravan site down to the beach without crossing any roads so quite safe.

Saundersfoot is lovely too.

Clary has a lot covered so take her advice lol!

There's lots to do, the beaches are beautiful and there's Oakwood Park, Folly Farm, Blue Lagoon swimming pool if you want to do those sort of things too.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 14-Aug-13 13:06:12

Lydstep village is lovely but the caravan park is enotmous. I think there's a smaller one just down the road at Manorbier, which is equally lovely village and has a castle.

I think you'll struggle to get cheap pitches anywhere, though, as everyone's staying in the UK this year and prices are reflecting demand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now