Where in Pembrokeshire should we move to?

(7 Posts)
mangohedgehog Thu 18-Jul-13 13:12:31

I love Pembrokeshire, esp the St Brides Bay area, and we want to move there permanently. Our budget won't stretch to living in the National Park area though.

There seem to be some very affordable properties in Fishguard, some with sea views! What's the catch?

Ideally we want to be in an actual seaside town or village but would consider being a few miles inland if there were great beaches nearby.

Education wise not too worried - DD1 is in Welsh medium school at the mo but we could change to an English one if needs be

Any suggestions? Or places to avoid? I am quite lentil-weaverish in outlook so would love a slightly hippied out area with health food shops etc...

MorningHasBroken Fri 19-Jul-13 12:24:53

Like any town, I think there are some lovely areas of Fishguard and some not-so-lovely, you'd need to spend some time driving around getting an idea of where you like the look of.

DH grew up near there and it is a beautiful part of the world.

CriminallyVulgarShyness Fri 19-Jul-13 22:02:14

Fishguard is in a beautiful setting, like all towns some parts are much nicer than others.

If you were there today when the sun is shining and the weather glorious you would probably move in a heartbeat. Remember that for most of the year it is grey or wet and windy.

The primary school is just coming out of special measures, so that might be an issue for you. They have an English stream and a welsh.
There is also catholic primary school (English medium) in fishguard and a primary school in Goodwick. The Goodwick school will have a new HT is January.

The secondary school has a HT who has been in place a year. Rumour had it that she was going to make sweeping changes. So far, there hasn't been much evidence of this. A lot of staff are leaving at the end of this term.

Bear in mind that unlike larger towns there isn't really a choice of secondary options. Most children just go to the nearest one in their town.

Employment can be difficult to find in the area - whould you be able to find work without having to travel?
Public transport isn't great.

If your children are into shopping and city type activities they'll find it difficult. If they are outdoor types there are lots of things they can do like Sea Cadets or sailing. Because of the rural nature of pembs be prepared to spend your time doing a lot of ferrying them around.

The town centre is small, there is a Boots, CoOp, Peacocks, small health food shop, optician, deli, florist, butcher, green grocer, wool shop, cafes and some other small independent shops
Down in Goodwick there is a Tesco Express.

If you are looking for a hippy vibe in pembs I'd suggest the Narberth area, although it isn't coastal and house prices will be higher.

Newport is lovely and may be more your type of town, but is lots more expensive.

Do check MN local too won't you?

CelticPromise Fri 19-Jul-13 22:19:42

Bloody anywhere. Am very jealous! If DH could work there we'd be off like a shot. Friends there have been posting beach pics on FB all weekenvy envy

mangohedgehog Mon 22-Jul-13 06:12:23

Brilliant, thank you for the advice. Narberth sounds right up my street! Will take a little trip down there this week and check it out. Thanks for advice about Fishguard schools too - CriminallyVulgarShyness you are a mine of useful information smile

LocalEditorPembrokeshire Tue 22-Oct-13 22:59:21

Hi,

I'm trying to get Mumsnet Pembrokeshire more active so if any of you now live in Pembrokeshire and can add the site then that would be great! If you find a good event/shop/playgroup etc, then feel free to add a listing to help other Mumsnetters.

http://local.mumsnet.com/pembrokeshire

Thanks!

Claire

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now