Great Yarmouth

(44 Posts)
LittleNoona Fri 21-Jun-13 17:59:18

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to stay in Gt Yarmouth?

Thanks smile

TeamEdward Fri 21-Jun-13 23:38:50

I clicked on this thread because my parents have booked us a week in a "platinum" caravan at Breydon Water.
What can we expect? And what is there to do locally?
Am very thankful for a free holiday but never been to that area before!

HoneyDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 23:39:00

Katy, I liked the vair posh cottages but they are booked. Ideally this year we want to fall out the door and land on the beach grin

KatyMac Fri 21-Jun-13 23:40:49

Look at Winterton & Sea Palling, maybe Hemsby or Scratby

I'm off to Park Resorts at Hustanton (courtesy of Tesco) later in the summer

HoneyDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 23:45:50

Thank you kindly. <<flexes googling fingers>>

We like Hunstanton too.

Mind you, I like any town that combines a slush puppy with ice cream. I have never had a sugar rush like it grin

Dillydollydaydream Fri 21-Jun-13 23:49:34

This looks nice, not too far from gt Yarmouth.
fritton lake

KatyMac Fri 21-Jun-13 23:50:25

I stayed at the cottages when I had my leak last year; they are lovely but not very central

ibbydibby Fri 21-Jun-13 23:55:28

Fritton Lake is great - there is v v big playground where DCs happy to charge around all day. We take chairs and picnic, and sit in corner of field where playground is. However there is v v deep lake (as name suggests) so need to be aware of that. Usually have some kind of trail thing, collect stamps on a sheet in return for lolly/sweet. There is rowing on the lake. Not a lot of "attractions" there but great for kids old enough to entertain themselves.

ibbydibby Sat 22-Jun-13 00:05:18

TeamEdward - I think Breydon Water is in a v small village / hamlet called Burgh Castle (was quite hard to figure this out from website, but got there in the end). There are remains of roman castle there. You will need to use car or bus to get out and about, it is well away from bright lights of GY. Though I guess as holiday camp they will have own entertainment. Access to Yarmouth straightforward, there is also Gorleston - a quieter resort, with a few ice cream/chip shops amusement arcades etc. At Burgh Castle you are fairly close to Fritton Lake ( 4 or 5 miles) linked by Dilly. Other attractions include Norfolk Broads (part of which you can see from Burgh Castle), Bewilderwood. You are close to Suffolk border, where there is v good wildlife park (Africa Alive) in Kessingland. Umm back in Norfolk - Thrigby Hall - for crocodiles, alligators and tigers especially.

I grew up in Gorleston!

TeamEdward Sat 22-Jun-13 00:13:00

Thank you ibby!
We will have a car, and do like to be out & about visiting places. The animal parks sound good!

Dillydollydaydream Sat 22-Jun-13 09:04:21

Redwings at Caldecott nr fritton is nice for a short trip out. We used to take a picnic, have a wander to see the horses, have an ice cream and let the kids play on the park. Free entry too. Fritton woods is also good to take a walk if you like walking. I used to live in Burgh Castle, Breydon Water is indeed there. Quite a few holiday camps in Burgh Castle, it's very quiet and as mentioned above there's castle ruins and a nice river walk.

ibbydibby Sat 22-Jun-13 11:35:42

Dilly did you go up in Burgh Castle? What schools did you go to? <nosey> Though I probably don't know you as am toooooo olddd.

ibbydibby Sat 22-Jun-13 11:36:07

*grow not go...

Dillydollydaydream Sat 22-Jun-13 12:51:21

I actually moved to burgh castle after school age but I grew up down the rd (Belton).
I went to the schools there, Waveney & Breydon.

There are loads of lovely places in Norfolk. Unfortunately I don't think Great Yarmouth is one of them. My grandparents lived there and I spent a lot of time there as a child and have happy childhood memories of visiting them. However, through an adult's eyes it really isn't a very nice place. Would definately recommend you look for somewhere in Broadland. A day trip to Yarmouth is definitely worth is (if only to ride on the snails!) but look to stay further afield. Around Horning and Wroxham is nice, and you have the amazing Bewilderwood up there which you most definitely have to visit!

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Sat 22-Jun-13 20:04:39

We have just had a lovely week at Kelling Heath, near Cromer. Probably too far away if you are after Not-So-Great Yarmouth - but it was a good base for exploring Norfolk - which was fab.

lljkk Sat 22-Jun-13 20:08:56

Maybe try Trip Advisor for B+Bs.

DD had Brownie camp in Gorleston 2 yrs ago.

Could do one day on beach or 2 half days.
one day at Pleasurewood hills (£££)
Most of a day wandering around, sea life centre is a max half hour thing I wouldn't rate it, swim pool (Marina Centre) is good, DD raved about it.
Hippodrome Circus show is very good, DD raved about that too.
There is a laser tag centre for older kids.

That might fill 3-5 days.
Get up to Sea Palling for a nicer beach.

If we're going to talk Norfolk things my kids don't rate Bewilderwood (too bad, it's our nearest theme park, too).

KevinFoley Sat 22-Jun-13 21:14:45

I'm with usual, I love all the seaside tack. utterly bored at wells, southwold etc, nothing to do but sit on the beach and look at each other. give my yarmouth, blackpool and southend any day. I love the snails at joyland, the model village, the wooden rollercoaster at the pleasure beach, the illluminations, and last but not least...the waterways!! Op I stayed at an 'ok', not luxurious but fine for a couple of nights hotel in yarmouth some years back, will google it and report back...

ShadeofViolet Sun 23-Jun-13 15:36:37

I adore Yarmouth, the pleasure beach and all the tacky tat.

Have fond memories as a child spending hours in the Flamingo arcade, seeing Jimmy Cricket and Little and Large at the theatre on the end of the pier and riding on the snails, a horse and cart and the little land train.

bowyert1 Thu 04-Jul-13 14:48:42

The best place to stay in Great Yarmouth is The Imperial Hotel. Have stayed loads of times. Proper hotel plenty of rooms great service
http://www.imperialhotel.co.uk/

In Great Yarmouth, but not right on top so good nights sleep, free car park, comfy, excellent place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now