Where to stay in Northumbria and can you get around by public transport?

(5 Posts)
orderinformation Tue 28-May-13 20:27:25

We fancy a short break on Northumbria (we live in London). We want to see Lindisfarne, Hadrian's Wall, some rugged beaches and some castles. Where would you stay? Can you get around by bus/train? (Don't fancy driving all that way).

nextphase Tue 28-May-13 22:00:20

A Comprehensive service is completely different to what you might expect coming from London!

For all bar Hadrians Wall, I'd suggest basing yourself round Berwick - near Holy island, lovely beaches and Bamburgh castle.
Probably worth stopping on your way up or down to go out to Hexam for the wall.

Trains from London are easy - its the London-Edinburgh mainline

Enjoy your break - pack your waterproofs!

Noregrets78 Thu 27-Jun-13 00:19:26

Alnwick lovely too - can base yourself in Alnmouth out by the coast. Whole area there is full of lovely beaches, lots of castles depending on what you're looking for... For rugged try Craster (gorgeous food at the pub there) and walk to Dunstanburgh castle (1.5 miles I think).

MortifiedAdams Thu 27-Jun-13 00:32:01

Bamburgh is lovely and would be a great base.

Bunbaker Tue 02-Jul-13 18:05:17

Public transport in rural Northumberland is patchy. I don't blame you for not wanting to drive from London, but you really need a car to enjoy Northumberland at its best. You would need to base yourself in Alnwick or Morpeth if you want to rely on public transport as you would be able to travel to various places without having to change buses.

It is a beautiful county and a much less busy holiday destination than Cornwall or Devon. The only road that gets really busy at times is the A1.

BTW Northumbrians never call it Northumbria. There is Northumbria university, Northumbria police and Northumbrian water, but to everyone else it is Northumberland

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now